Marriage visa for only three months

I recently applied for a marriage visa. When I applied I learned that I would not receive my visa immediately and instead got a one month stamp. This was due to the fact that the immigration police still needed to visa my house. That was OK. Within one week two immigration police officers  came to my house and secured the necessary information, affidavit from neighbor, photos etc. and got all the information. So far so good.

Today a friend of mine who is going through the same process went to the Immigration office after the police visit and told me immigration gave them only a three month visa and the reason for this is not known. Evidently they did not ask or they did not want to share what happened.

Does anyone in ASEANOW land know why immigration would only stamp a marriage visa for three-months? I never heard of this and now I am wondering if I will get the same thing when I report to immigration again when my one month stamp  expires at the beginning of July. 

Anything I can learn here would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• Confused 2

I'm currently waiting for "approval" for my non-O visa for the 18th time based on married to a Thai and have never had a home visit from immigration. I always apply at least one month before my visa expires and it generally takes at least six weeks to for my visa to be approved. This year we were asked for more photos of us together in our house including photos of us together in the bedroom and kitchen. Previously several photos of us together inside and outside the house were acceptable and have never been asked for photos of us together in the bedroom before. I guess it always depends on the officer but each year it seems to be a learning curve.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yet again, using the correct terminology is essential…

The OP states that he applied for a Marriage Visa in Thailand, then that gets him a  Non-IMM O visa & 90 days permission to stay.

If in fact he applied for an extension to his current visa/extension then he should be given 1 year or till the date his passport expires whichever comes 1st. 

OP did your friend apply for a Visa or an Extension & are you applying for a Visa or Extension. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

14 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

I'm currently waiting for "approval" for my non-O visa for the 18th time based on married to a Thai and have never had a home visit from immigration. I always apply at least one month before my visa expires and it generally takes at least six weeks to for my visa to be approved. This year we were asked for more photos of us together in our house including photos of us together in the bedroom and kitchen. Previously several photos of us together inside and outside the house were acceptable and have never been asked for photos of us together in the bedroom before. I guess it always depends on the officer but each year it seems to be a learning curve.

Yes some immigration officers can be always finding something to pull you up on amongst the papers depleting rain forests, this year I have my 72 A4 papers ready to go.

We have always done a photo of us in the bedroom with the wardrobe doors open showing my clothes hung up along side my wife's. ????

The last change they insisted on is that the date we go to apply is on the letter from the bank.

Also the bank book has to be updated on the day we go.

Our Sukhothai branch is OK but they have to follow orders of what's wanted as directed from their Chiang Mai head office.

My wife was told they find a lot of scam married arrangements.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They have always insisted the details from the bank be dated the day I apply for the visa. Next year I'll be sure to take the photos required in the bedroom etc. As a matter of interest, how long does it take for your visa to be approved?

24 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

They have always insisted the details from the bank be dated the day I apply for the visa. Next year I'll be sure to take the photos required in the bedroom etc. As a matter of interest, how long does it take for your visa to be approved?

Your Passport is stamped for 30 days the day you apply for your 1 year marriage extension.

We us immigration then call us when they want me to get my passport stamped for 1 year usually it's 2 or 3 weeks.

Immigration did not always insisted on so much paperwork when we were under Maesot immigration and only 18 A4 papers of information was needed for marriage.

Since the opening of more province immigration centres they started asking for dates the same day you go, a day a couple of days before was always OK. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

how long does it take for your visa to be approved?

You will be applying for 12 month extension of stay based on marriage (it's not a visa).

You be given a return date for report back to immigration.

Can be a month later.

Referred to as "under consideration period" 

Do not interprete that as anything other than final tick off.

If using money in bank method you should maintain funds in the bank during this period. 

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If using money in bank method you should maintain funds in the bank during this period. 

That is not and has never been a requirement.

Having said that odd office  might have their own rules.

25 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

At application time 400,000 for a 2 months period required.

They advise keeping the money while waiting for approvement from immigration head office in case you need to re-apply for any reason. 

49 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Indeed they do and has been posted several times for various offices.

Most recent here.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1298009-money-in-bank-for-extension-based-on-marriage-minimum-must-be-kept-there-whilst-under-consideration/?do=findComment&comment=18146776

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

I recently applied for a marriage visa. When I applied I learned that I would not receive my visa immediately and instead got a one month stamp.

It would be helpful if you posted a copy of this "one month stamp". This would make it easier to understand your situation and give you an answer to your question.

On 6/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, jingjai9 said:

...Today a friend of mine who is going through the same process went to the Immigration office after the police visit and told me immigration gave them only a three month visa and the reason for this is not known...

For an understanding of your friend's situation, it would be helpful to see a copy of the "three month visa" your friend was given by immigration and to know the expiration date of his passport.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It would be helpful if you posted a copy of this "one month stamp". This would make it easier to understand your situation and give you an answer to your question.

It will be a 30 day stamp saying application for marriage extension under consideration, and a date to return back to the immigration office. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It will be a 30 day stamp saying application for marriage extension under consideration, and a date to return back to the immigration office. 

Indeed looks like this.

Folk should not be concerned if the return back date is past the expiry of current permit.

Edit: 

In attached pic ...disregard last line "Thai Entry Permit......" 

Screenshot_20230621-165049.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, tirekicker said:

DrJack54 I was not told to report back in one month, but I was told to check online to see if my "visa" has been approved by using the number stamped on my "under consideration" stamp.

How does this online check for the status of a pending application for an extension of stay work? Do you go to a website or do you use an app?

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

How does this online check for the status of a pending application for an extension of stay work? Do you go to a website or do you use an app?

There was another post talking about this "online check" for the result of an under consideration period. As here, it was not properly clarified how it worked, but we did at least learn that it was from Jomtien, and that there was some kind of poster explaining it. It would be nice if we learned further details this time,, including whether this is again at Jomtien (in which case, it may only apply at that immigration office).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

There was another post talking about this "online check" for the result of an under consideration period. As here, it was not properly clarified how it worked, but we did at least learn that it was from Jomtien, and that there was some kind of poster explaining it. It would be nice if we learned further details this time,, including whether this is again at Jomtien (in which case, it may only apply at that immigration office).

Our immigration office contacts us 

Why look for website when you telephone them and ask whether it's been approved.

Or just go immigration office on or before the given date stamp in passport.

Why all the fuss.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Or just go immigration office on or before the given date stamp in passport

Clearly you don't deal with CW or live in the boonies where travel might be 50k up to immigration office. 

• Like 2