Planning road trip to Cambodia, Angkor Wat.

I’m planning a road trip to Angkor Wat in Cambodia later this year and seeking advice on visa requirements at boarder considering re-entry pass etc. and also driving a privately owned car over the border and what this may detail, has anyone here had experience on such a trip ?

Cheers Mick

Its very easy when on your own motorbike. Ive done it and intend to do it again later this year. Living in or around Surin I found Chong Chom border to be very easy. Times when I didn't use my motorbike, I always parked-up my car at the border and got a taxi to SR/Ankor as its only about 1/ 1.5 hrs drive. Don't forget to get a re-entry stamp before you go!!!!!

48 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Its very easy when on your own motorbike. Ive done it and intend to do it again later this year. Living in or around Surin I found Chong Chom border to be very easy. Times when I didn't use my motorbike, I always parked-up my car at the border and got a taxi to SR/Ankor as its only about 1/ 1.5 hrs drive. Don't forget to get a re-entry stamp before you go!!!!!

Not quite sure what you are driving but Google Maps suggests 2 hours 40 minutes by car.

I doubt that it can be done in under 2 hours and, as I recall, certainly not in a private car across the border. Not sure if that is possible but you would not get insurance for the trip.

Many reliable taxis available - PM me if you are unable to find one yourself, I have contact details for a guy who I have used 20+ times.

8 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Not quite sure what you are driving but Google Maps suggests 2 hours 40 minutes by car.

I doubt that it can be done in under 2 hours and, as I recall, certainly not in a private car across the border. Not sure if that is possible but you would not get insurance for the trip.

Many reliable taxis available - PM me if you are unable to find one yourself, I have contact details for a guy who I have used 20+ times.

Agree with your suggestions except Google Maps timing, after doing it maybe 7 times from CC.

9 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

You mentioned the Chong Chom border crossing I will be using this Crossing in November (motorbike), can you comfirm if they issue re-entry stamps at this border crossing ???.  

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Agree with your suggestions except Google Maps timing, after doing it maybe 7 times from CC.

The OP is not traveling by motorbike...

Did you manage to get insurance when you went?

Edited by hotandsticky

I’ve been told that you ca purchase insurance at the boarder but would like to confirm this before setting off;

So far, I understand I would require;

A)     Additional insurance for car “Ford Ranger”

B)     Re-entry permit,

and can get both of these at the border crossing, is this correct and would I need to consider anything else.

I am not concerned about the length of the drive as I intend to stay there for a few days to make a holiday of it.

Cheers

Mick

16 minutes ago, Mick 1 said:

I’ve been told that you ca purchase insurance at the boarder but would like to confirm this before setting off;

So far, I understand I would require;

A)     Additional insurance for car “Ford Ranger”

B)     Re-entry permit,

and can get both of these at the border crossing, is this correct and would I need to consider anything else.

I am not concerned about the length of the drive as I intend to stay there for a few days to make a holiday of it.

Cheers

Mick

Re issue b)

Afaik you can ONLY buy a Re-Entry Permit at a local Immigration Office or - when flying out of Thailand - at the major Thai international Airports (which in your case would not be applicable as you want to enter Cambodia using a land-border).  A Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit costs 1.000,- THB (in your case no need for the 3.800,- THB Multiple-Entry one).  You might need a pass-photo together with your Passport for the application, and the Re-Entry Permit stamp is delivered on the spot.  When re-entering Thailand that Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit is stamped 'USED' by border-immigration.   

I recall reading a @BritTim post in which he mentioned that you need to buy the Re-Entry at the local Imm Office that issued your Non Imm O or O-A Visa (or extension) based permit to stay.  But when you are already on the way to the border that some Imm Offices allow you to buy the Re-Entry Permit when you are close or on route to the land-border. I would suggest not to take any chances on that one and therefore visit your local Imm Office to buy the Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

need special permit for car if memory serves me right. 

Informally referred to as a car passport.

I tried to get one for Laos, gave up in the end as Buriram Immigration and Buriram Land Transport Office kept bouncing me around.

I remain unconvinced that valid insurance is available - I would always take the taxi option.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, banglay said:

You mentioned the Chong Chom border crossing I will be using this Crossing in November (motorbike), can you comfirm if they issue re-entry stamps at this border crossing ???.  

> See my response 3 posts down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Re issue b)

Afaik you can ONLY buy a Re-Entry Permit at a local Immigration Office or - when flying out of Thailand - at the major Thai international Airports (which in your case would not be applicable as you want to enter Cambodia using a land-border).  A Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit costs 1.000,- THB (in your case no need for the 3.800,- THB Multiple-Entry one).  You might need a pass-photo together with your Passport for the application, and the Re-Entry Permit stamp is delivered on the spot.  When re-entering Thailand that Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit is stamped 'USED' by border-immigration.   

I recall reading a @BritTim post in which he mentioned that you need to buy the Re-Entry at the local Imm Office that issued your Non Imm O or O-A Visa (or extension) based permit to stay.  But when you are already on the way to the border that some Imm Offices allow you to buy the Re-Entry Permit when you are close or on route to the land-border. I would suggest not to take any chances on that one and therefore visit your local Imm Office to buy the Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit.  

On the re-entry permit, the above is broadly correct. There are a few major land border crossings that have re-entry permit desks, but the majority do not. At best, the nearest immigration office may do them, but obviously only during the hours the office is open. If unsure of the status at a land crossing you plan to use, get a re-entry permit in advance (as advised, in the office that issued you the extension, if any, or where you submitted a TM30 if you need a re-entry permit for an entry from a visa).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, banglay said:

Don't forget to cover up your headlights (if your lights are automatic).

Police will fine you if you ride with headlights on during the day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

6 of the7 trips quoted were not by motorbike.

My point was that your timing is not doable by car…….especially Cambodian taxi. I doubt that you took your own car. 

Did you get insurance for your motorcycle trip.

car need  special permit  not always  doable at borders and yes cover up headlight if u cant switch off    as they are illegal in daylight  also watch if changing $100 bills  always show to vendor or restaurant etc that the bill is real  or they will come back and bring a fake one   and say yours is no good ,,

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mick 1 said:

Thanks for your replies, this is a great help, if I get re-entry prior to leaving Bangkok can I get this weeks in advance or only days?

You can get it anytime as in a year in advance and it is valid until your extension of stay expires.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/24/2023 at 4:45 PM, DILLIGAD said:

It's best, when posters are asking for advice, to keep travel time estimates within the realms of possibility.

166kms on that road is not possible in 1 to 1.5 hours. It's not likely on many roads in many countries. 

• Haha 2