Bedridden man dies after forced ID renewal trip

webfact

image.jpeg

In an incident eliciting nationwide outrage, a chronically ill man from Pathum Thani province was required by local authorities to physically appear for the renewal of his expired national ID, despite being bedridden.

The man tragically passed away a day after the ID was renewed, putting Thai bureaucratic systems under scrutiny.

Facebook user Prangtong Jaiboon recently posted about the unfortunate incident involving her ailing father, whose national ID had expired. Prangtong stated that the district authorities insisted her father should be physically present for the ID renewal procedure despite her explanations that he was bedridden and cannot fend for himself due to declining health.

Prangtong queried if there was an alternative method that would spare her father the distress of the trip, such as presenting a power of attorney or the officials visiting the home to verify her father’s condition.

By Nattapong Westwood

Image by Prangtong Jaiboon via Facebook

#news

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/bedridden-pathumthani-man-dies-after-forced-id-renewal-trip

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 9
  • Love It 1

If RTP can come to our house and take photos when we renew my marriage “permission  to stay” why in heck couldn’t they send similar for some poor elderly chap who cannot get about?
Not entirely rhetorical as I recline on our living room couch with fractured pelvis and contemplate Samut Prakan IO up a narrow staircase,  and somewhat Byzantine process accessing the US Embassy in Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

As I expected, the only reason that he was required to attend in person was to have his photograph taken.

'The renewed ID was merely used for a photograph with all other details being reused from the old information'.

It's high time that procedure was updated.!

It should never be compulsary for anyone who is not a convicted criminal to have to report to anyone else. This again shows you why Thailand is nothing more than a Banana Republic.

• Thumbs Up 1

In Thailand, government bureaucrats wield tonnes of power especially over the poor citizens who mentally cower before them. 

It is incumbent on these bureaucrats to have their "customers" run themselves ragged for no real reason other than for their personal satisfaction.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, NanLaew said:

My bed-ridden and cancer ravaged late father-in-law was also forced to attend the Land Office in-person in order to sign off the transfer of land titles to his daughter, my wife.

Land can be sold through power of attorney, there was no need for him to attend in person.

On 6/29/2023 at 11:14 AM, Don Chance said:

Thai's are so uptight. Coming from Kathmandu on Thai Smile airlines i immediately noticed how tense the female flight attend was. All the stress of doing something wrong is not health. It is perfectionism. It is a type of abuse parents put on their children in Thailand.

So true, I getting the feeling most Thais would rather be roasted over hot coals than admit they got something wrong. I remember once talking with a Thai woman and I said something that contradicted something I'd said a few months earlier, and she pulled me up. She said before you said blah-blah-blah and now you're saying dah-dah-dah. And I looked at her and said...well I was wrong, I've now changed my opinion. She was sort of gob smacked. So I said to her...look you're allowed to be wrong, there's nothing wrong in being wrong, it's perfectly OK to realize you're wrong and change your mind about something. But she was kind of speechless about this.