Controversial Thai Tourism Fee Postponed Again

webfact

What are 'border passes' in this context?

I thought the money was to apply some medical insurance for the benefit of tourists, not pay airport facilities. 

I used my UK ATM card recently, got hit with 220 baht fee for that facility..... isn't there some of that can be used?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they could install donation boxes at the airports in the meantime, so that foreign tourists who wish to contribute a little extra to Thailand's struggling tourist industry may do so at their discretion.

</sarcasm>

Edited by Caldera

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Maybe they could install donation boxes at the airports in the meantime, so that foreign tourists who wish to contribute a little extra to Thailand's struggling tourist industry may do so at their discretion.

</sarcasm>

A tip box at the the immigration kiosk,,,, ? You see them a plenty elsewhere! He could sit and glower at you doing nothing until you dropped a few coins in there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What are 'border passes' in this context?

I thought the money was to apply some medical insurance for the benefit of tourists, not pay airport facilities. 

I used my UK ATM card recently, got hit with 220 baht fee for that facility..... isn't there some of that can be used?

ATM fees go to the banks. Another scam.

Border passes, I can only think of people transporting goods between Thailand and Cambodia, Thailand and Laos etc. or people that have business over the border and returning the same day as in , not tourists.

• Thumbs Up 2

Do they actually mean we have to physically hand the money over, it's not added to the ticket price?

I suppose if it was added to ticket price, they wouldn't be able to make exceptions for work permits, border passes etc.

Obviously this will mean queues again to pay this degusting money grabbing 300 baht, on top of queues for immigration entry?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Do they actually mean we have to physically hand the money over, it's not added to the ticket price?

I suppose if it was added to ticket price, they wouldn't be able to make exceptions for work permits, border passes etc.

Obviously this will mean queues again to pay this degusting money grabbing 300 baht, on top of queues for immigration entry?

All of that is why it keeps getting postponed. Airlines do not want to become an unpaid tax collector.... and segregating Thais from non Thais is onerous. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Unless they have a Thai work permit yes.

ok, let's see how they do it...Are the airline companies going to ad something to probe someone has workpermit or not on their websites? every airline....? for only 300b?????

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see this as anything new. Up until the early 20's Thailand had a departure tax of 300 baht which was collected for international departures via booths at the airports. They are merely reinventing their own wheel.

25 minutes ago, CFCol said:

I don't see this as anything new. Up until the early 20's Thailand Not new. had a departure tax of 300 baht which was collected for international departures via booths at the airports. They are merely reinventing their own wheel.

Not new. Unless they stopped it while I was not looking, there is already a 700 baht charge in every air ticket (collected by airlines, as it has no small-print exceptions). This latest nonsense would just increase this Passenger Sevice Charge to 1000 baht for most arrivals.

Edited by isaanistical
spelinge

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is exactly why they keep postponing it. If it is to be included in the ticket price, how is your status determined when you book, on-line or otherwise? The airlines have already told the government to take a long walk off a short pier as they have zero interest in dealing with the complications of an ill-thought out idea.

It's typical Thai thinking - someone comes up with an idea and doesn't think it through, and anyone with half a brain but who is inferior in status to the boss can't tell him he's a idiot.

Plus, Thailand is arrogant enough to believe that all the airlines who fly passengers into the country will add to their workload by determining who does or doesn't need to pay the tax. Airlines do not work for the Thai government.

And so, before the end of the year, there will be another U-turn. Or the next government will dump the proposal in the bin where it belongs.

"and anyone with half a brain" A "politician" from the army barracks with half a brain?? :cheesy: :cheesy:

8 hours ago, Plern said:

So, all O visa farang w/o work permit and all children three years +1 day old will pay. Death by one thousand paper cuts

Keep postponing because they understand clearly that it's literally a corruption slush fund.

I'd have thought that would be a reason to expedite the farce.

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

</sarcasm>

The OP shows a 'practice run' with airport staff collecting cash.

11 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Why do tourist coming in via air have to pay 150 baht for marine transportation?

This is an excellent question

The rubbish they are fronting as an excuse (reason) is to promote tourism and vicariously to shore up ???? blah blah medical farang blah blah blah.

There is absolutely no reason broke axx border jumpers should pay less except that this is just a funnel for corruption so in that respect they are easing the burden on the poors.

Absurd