Korat Zoo’s new 25 million baht spotted hyena enclosure wows visitors

snoop1130

hyena.jpg

The Korat Zoo in Nakhon Ratchasima unveiled its latest attraction – a new enclosure for a group of spotted hyenas, drawing the attention of visitors to an up-close encounter via the Sky Walk bridge.

Thanachan Kensing, the director of Nakhon Ratchasima Zoo, today formally introduced the newcomers: Six spotted hyenas, aged 13 to 15 years old. The cohort, imported from abroad, includes three males and three females and has been released into their newly built enclosure. The dominant female, named Mangkut, leads the pack followed by her companions: Two females, Som-O and Chompu, and three males, Chatri, Jackson, and Vicky.

According to Thanachan, the spotted hyenas are larger than common hyenas, with a body weight of 60 to 70 kilograms, approximately equivalent to a female lion. Their front legs are notably longer than the hind ones, which gives them their characteristic sloping run, capable of reaching a speed of 60 kilometres an hour.

“The spotted hyenas exhibit strong jaw power. They possess the strongest bite among terrestrial carnivores, reaching up to 1,000 pounds per square inch. They can easily crush and consume bone.”

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of ข่าวโคราช Facebook

#news

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/korat-zoos-new-25-million-baht-spotted-hyena-enclosure-wows-visitors-with-intimate-sky-walk-experience-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, actonion said:

Zoo's anywhere are bad enough,   but Zoo's   in Thailand, you have to feel very sorry  for any animal  captured  there ..and this one is Wowing the tourists,  all Four of them ?...........yeah sure

Agree. I call them 'Animal Prisons'

• Like 2

Not very clear in the photo, but it appears somebody may be teasing feeding them dangling food from a bamboo pole. Probably a de-meeted chicken carcass, same fare as the crocodiles get.

• Like 1

So this enclosure wows the tourists.

I doubt the poor animals feel the same way. 

Clean running water instead of the filthy water tubs and some shaded area may help.

But not much.

I never realised digging a pit could be so expensive, what was used, 24 carat gold shovels ?

• Haha 1

Here's a Hyena joke , just to lighten ASEANNOW up a bit,

A Hyena was fed up of been bullied by the king of the jungle ,the male lion.

so he got his mate a Baboon to help , he said I'll jump him ,and you can help,

So the lion is passing by and the Hyena jumps on him ,and there's fur flying

everywhere , the Lion been stronger leaves the Hyena battered and bruised,

the Hyena says to the Baboon , why did you not jump in and help me.

the Baboon replies   you were laughing that much I thought you were winning.... 

The biggest joke is 25 million for hole in the ground and some pen wire .......

How long before someone falls in .....

regards worgeordie 

Edited by worgeordie

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Really.....this enclose cost 25 million baht?! 

It just looks like cheap fencing, some electric fencing, couple of cheap trees from the plant market and a bowl of dirty water?  

Screenshot_2023-06-30-18-28-24-41_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.thumb.jpg.53a5ab73117318073bce0943e34bfd8b.jpg

Old spotty is planning his escape