Verbal abuse of Singaporean tourist leads to Phuket van driver being fined 1,000 baht

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

The Singapore guy should have paid the extra 100 baht. Or just got out if vehicle and walked. 

What makes you think he wasn't willing or going to pay? I guess you could make that assumption, but it is unfounded according to the article. Nowhere did I read that he refused to pay the required extra 100 baht to be dropped where he wanted to go. There was only a claim by the insane driver (whatever anything he says can have any trusted value is questionable) that the passenger was uncooperative and was discourteous during the journey, which apparently made the driver feel justified to kill him or in the least, threaten to do so. Swinging (allegedly) an iron bar at someone's head should be thought of as no less than aggravated assault and perhaps stretched to attempted murder by an aggressive prosecutor. At any rate, that driver should suffer much more severe consequences than a pittance of a fine.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sig said:

What makes you think he wasn't willing or going to pay? I guess you could make that assumption, but it is unfounded according to the article. Nowhere did I read that he refused to pay the required extra 100 baht to be dropped where he wanted to go. There was only a claim by the insane driver (whatever anything he says can have any trusted value is questionable) that the passenger was uncooperative and was discourteous during the journey, which apparently made the driver feel justified to kill him or in the least, threaten to do so. Swinging (allegedly) an iron bar at someone's head should be thought of as no less than aggravated assault and perhaps stretched to attempted murder by an aggressive prosecutor. At any rate, that driver should suffer much more severe consequences than a pittance of a fine.

If you had followed the story you would know the issue started or escalated with the Singaporean unwilling to pay the 100 baht.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In a show of justice for tourists in Phuket,

The driver was imposed with a fine of 1,000 baht

it remains unclear whether the fine of 1,000 baht was imposed before or after this reduction in his punishment.

So could be 500 baht fine, that'll teach him.  :crazy:

48 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Only surprise in the highly glossed over OP case is that it wasn't the foreigner who was fined instead. Pathetic Thailand. 

My mate wanting to get to his house after a month away, offered a local Songthaew taxi an extra 200b off his route to take him 2 km up to his place, he refused. Imagine if he had threatened the driver with an iron bar .????:lock:????

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bignok said:

Threatening

So didnt actually do it

Yes,that makes it perfectly acceptable then. Later on I'll be arriving at your house pointing a loaded gun at your head. I "probably ” won't pull the trigger (use it) and so you'll be perfectly fine with that I guess...? 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

The Singapore guy should have paid the extra 100 baht. Or just got out if vehicle and walked. 

Where was "the extra 100 baht" mentioned? Or walked how far? From Krabi to Phuket?

Seems to me that the guy paid for his trip, and asked for a drop off at a certain hotel, and then for some reason the driver took umbrage (maybe because he didn't get a tip because of his attitude?) and went way over the top in his reaction.

And what I saw in the video is certainly a much more serious reaction than "verbal abuse"!!! 

Yes, let's make Phuket "safe and an attractive place for tourists" ????

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bignok said:

Drivers are underpaid and over worked. 

Ah, so that gives them the right to abuse tourists which is the lifeblood of that island?

That's why I don't bother with the place anymore and tell friends the same.

24 minutes ago, ignore it said:

While verbal abuse is impolite,

Singaporeans are such whiny entitled mouthy wimps.

I presume that is a tongue in cheek comment?

By the way, when does "verbal abuse" include taking a swing at somebody's head with an iron bar?

• Like 1

The tourist is going back to Singapore (where this sort of thing would never happen) and

is going to do a lot more than a B 1000 worth of damage to Thailand's reputation , what

reputation you say , and your right....

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1

It was definitely a show but not much justice. Put taxis and tuk tuks on a points system or a yellow then green card and they will fear for their jobs.

I can't help feel that ferrying richer people around in the knowledge they would always be poor is frustrating. 

59 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Yes,that makes it perfectly acceptable then. Later on I'll be arriving at your house pointing a loaded gun at your head. I "probably ” won't pull the trigger (use it) and so you'll be perfectly fine with that I guess...? 

Up to you.