“I’ll sue” – woman who lost part of her leg in Don Mueang walkway incident

snoop1130

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Her legal and health challenges aside, this is a perfect example of the benefits of travel insurance

I know we rarely buy it for domestic trips, myself, never! 

But it exists, and a trip is a trip, frontier or not. 

The older I get the more travel paranoid I am. 

She can still sue the airport without having insurance. But I guess she could get another payout for being injured if she had insurance

I'd rather be caught without insurance than feel good about having insurance, only to find the insurance company has a way of weaseling out of covering me anyway.

She is 57. At that age maybe a good payout is worth part of your leg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The reason the woman fell has not yet been confirmed, but the force of the fall was such that it dislodged the safety cover and her leg became jammed in the walkway’s internal mechanism

How do they know that? Thought the incident was still being investigated. This is more opinion than fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil2407 said:

From the original story she didn't trip & fall the walkway gave way - hope she gets millions in $ not baht 

In the original report that I read she did trip, over her suitcase. And that suitcase is why she will probably lose any legal challenge as it was too big to be carry-on and should have been checked in. If it had been.... Harsh I know, but it's a loophole the airport can exploit.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

34 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

From the article:

"There has been little evidence of any accountability from airport bosses to date, who have instead pointed the finger at both the maintenance company and the manufacturer of the walkway (despite the fact that it was installed 27 years ago)."

Typical way of doing thing in Thailand, no one will take accountability, its always blame someone else?

The CCTV footage of the accident has seemingly not yet been obtained which is very unusual?

There must be several cameras that took video of this and from different angles possible.

What is going on? I smell a rat!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Her legal and health challenges aside, this is a perfect example of the benefits of travel insurance

After reading about so many insurance companies not paying out, they will find away to blame her, the airport should have insurance to cover her. Payouts if any will depend on her percentage of disability, and any loss of income.  

If she sues the AOT we'll start to see the AOT deny responsibility and the insurance company looking for ways to weasel out of having to pay anything. The court case will be dragged out for years until the woman runs out of money and gives up.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In the original report that I read she did trip, over her suitcase. And that suitcase is why she will probably lose any legal challenge as it was too big to be carry-on and should have been checked in. If it had been.... Harsh I know, but it's a loophole the airport can exploit.

In which case, the airport is still at fault for letting her carry on that size of suitcase against their own procedures and regulations. 

20 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

In which case, the airport is still at fault for letting her carry on that size of suitcase against their own procedures and regulations. 

Airports don't monitor this. Airlines do.