Thai Senior Immigration Officer Vows to Purge the Country of All Overstayers Within Three Months

webfact

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No need for raiding. Only need two guys standing outside checking passport of entering foreigners. Or, for example at both entrances to Soi Cowboy and entrance of Nana Plaza.

That would merely catch the incredibly stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Sick of hearing this mis-information, you are only legally required to provide your passport within a reasonable time

Please stop perpetuating the 100% carry myth

Try telling that to the Immigration police and see how far that gets you.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Try telling that to the Immigration police and see how far that gets you.

I told them that when I was stopped before. I had photos on my phone of my passport, visa stamps and work permit. When they started whining about not having my passport on me, I told them it was in my hotel and I was on my way to a national park, so I wasn't going to carry it with me.  Also, asked them why would I carry it around with me everywhere when immigration heads have said copies are OK. 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like they will be also rounding up the migrants working without passports, extensions of stays or other needed documents to be in the country. Many H-So households better keep there housekeepers, maids, or Gardners inside and hidden. Factories will be loosing workers it would appear. This isn't just about tourists and expats I am afraid.  

Hi -So's, evil parasites, praying on the poor, more like.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

What next?  All foreigners must carry their passport at all times.  This would be the only way to respond when one is “randomly” stopped. 

We have to carry the passport with us all the time....

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Buy doing checks, as said in the article.

Nothing wrong with that, is it?

No need for raiding. Only need two guys standing outside checking passport of entering foreigners. Or, for example at both entrances to Soi Cowboy and entrance of Nana Plaza.

Regarding passport, I will return the question. Do you believe that a copy of your legal id is considered to be same?

Passport checks to go to a gogo bar? 

Are you for real?

What a nutter How in Satans Name is he going to check Every person who's a Foreigner . Us Whities  Ezy but what about the Millions that are Asian but not from 

Thailand  He's got No chance in the world not even i a Hundred years.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

There is a massive difference between overstayers and illegal aliens. Therefore, they have a long way to go with collecting all the entry cards. Also, they have a long way to go to rid the country of illegal aliens too.

Basically no , If you come through any border legally you do get a stamp for X amount of time . After that time you are illegal and having crossed the border with stamp or without , is about the same thing. There is 1 difference , which is being impossible to leave due to hospital admission or similar , which can make it impossible to leave at the time you are supposed to leave .

8 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Security guys checking passports?? No way?? Leave that to banks, immigration, higher ranked police.

There is no way I would carry my passport on my person because I wanted to go to Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy.

Did they say security guys checking passports? Did I say security guys checking passports? You know the answer will be NO!

They said they will make checks, and I pointed out strategic positions for those controls. Of course made by police or Immigration. No so hard to grasp, right?

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, moogradod said:

Given the (probably) relatively low number of overstayers all in all I really cannot understand the huge importance that is contributed to this issue which makes big headlines. They present a caught overstayer like a drug lord. What evil does an overstayer actually commit ? Spending money for the benefit of the economy cannot be it. Not that I am against the law. But this is all a bit exaggerated isn't it ?

Exceeding the permitted length of stay is against the law. No question. But it's not the super-serious criminal offense either. I'd rather have a peaceful overstayer than a sneaky knife man, a brutal bar thug or a rapist - with a valid visa.

• Like 1

Back in the day, 20 or so years ago, overstay wasn't a big deal. You may have been deported but most likely a slap on the wrist and off to the border you went.

Sign of the times that they now slap a 5 or 10 year ban on those caught.

It was a much friendlier place back then, no denying that.

A lot of this has to do with the quality of foreigners coming now. Budget travel has a lot to answer for.

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Back in the day, 20 or so years ago, overstay wasn't a big deal. You may have been deported but most likely a slap on the wrist and off to the border you went.

Sign of the times that they now slap a 5 or 10 year ban on those caught.

It was a much friendlier place back then, no denying that.

A lot of this has to do with the quality of foreigners coming now. Budget travel has a lot to answer for.

The good old times. That must have been almost 30 years ago. A guy from Argentina had a 6 year overstay. He bought a return ticket. Stands at the airport in front of immigration - no money left over -. He gave them his silver travers concert flute. 2 weeks later he was back on the island.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The good old times. That must have been almost 30 years ago. A guy from Argentina had a 6 year overstay. He bought a return ticket. Stands at the airport in front of immigration - no money left over -. He gave them his silver travers concert flute. 2 weeks later he was back on the island.

I'm just glad we were able to experience it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I'm just glad we were able to experience it. 

Those were the times. Had a funny problem a long time ago. My flight was 3 days after my last visa stamp. Then I went to immigration to extend it for 1900 baht. There was quite a lively discussion between the immigration staff. Paying 3 days overstay at the airport would only be 1500 baht. Recommendation was: No worry. You pay at airport only 1500 Baht and you can save 400 Baht. Well those days are obviously over.

• Like 1

Focused on overstaying foreigners but what about all illegal entry foreigners? Best to start at all the factories for illegal entry foreigners rather than entertainment venues. Thousands of illegals working in the factories and businesses in Bangkok, Samut Prakan, and all of the provinces around Bangkok, and all the way down through Chonburi to Rayong.

Oh I forgot, Thailand profits, makes lots of money, by using illegal entry foreigner workers, so that's OK. Thais can break the law as long as they are making money. 

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

35 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Focused on overstaying foreigners but what about all illegal entry foreigners? Best to start at all the factories for illegal entry foreigners rather than entertainment venues. Thousands of illegals working in the factories and businesses in Bangkok, Samut Prakan, and all of the provinces around Bangkok, and all the way down through Chonburi to Rayong.

Oh I forgot, Thailand profits, makes lots of money, by using illegal entry foreigner workers, so that's OK. Thais can break the law as long as they are making money. 

Those migrants tend not to punch out bar staff, fall off balconies and trash 7-11 stores at 4am. There might be a rationale behind this policy perhaps? And you can bet that overstayers aren't staying in the best hotels and eating at the best restaurants.

I'd imagine your country makes a motza out of employing illegal migrant workers as well. Especially since they tend to pay social security but never collect.

• Confused 1

Apparently Working in Thailand without a work permit is considered a more serious offense than overstaying your visa.

The penalties for working without a work permit are much harsher, including imprisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to 100,000 baht. Overstaying your visa can result in a fine of up to 20,000 baht and deportation, but you are not likely to be imprisoned.

Overstaying your visa - Fine of up to 20,000 baht and deportation

Working without a work permitIm - prisonment of up to 5 years and/or a fine of up to 100,000 baht

• Thanks 1