My new Thai gf (35/f) invited me (42/m) to visit her family in Isaan after < 1 month of dating? I feel uncomfortable but agreed. What do you think?

Just now, Gecko123 said:

It adds a layer of expectation which can be used to apply emotional pressure.

You have to man up sooner or later. If you like the woman go see the family. If not find another gf.

Scared of meeting 50kgs 60yos is pretty funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

Has she told you about the sleeping arrangements at her home? You'll probably end up sleeping with her Dad, so don't get too drunk and end up in a compromising position with him.????????

• Haha 2

Go for it. First did it in 1982. I was 32 and she was 30 with four kids. 

We did marry and divorce. The kids were never an issue but she was.

The upcountry experience was something else.

I really enjoyed it.

Take the trip with your eyes open.

If it does not work out, you will still have a tale to tell your mates down the pub when you are back home.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

You have to man up sooner or later. If you like the woman go see the family. If not find another gf.

Scared of meeting 50kgs 60yos is pretty funny.

Trying to frame this as "manning up" or being "scared" to meet her family is being silly. All I'm suggesting is that the timing of the visit can be used as a tool to manage expectations and the pace of the relationship.

You've never heard that "taking him/her home to meet the parents" is often considered a significant milestone in a relationship? You don't think there's a potential for claiming a loss of "face" or triggering resentment because you decided to break up with her after she introduced you to her family and her kids? Or being put under emotional pressure to become more emotionally involved or committed after a visit home?

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

With an attitude like that, please, please, please don't ever have a serious relationship with anything that even remotely resembles another human being.

I would actually rather have the experienced 35-45 year old than some young starfish but kids are NOT part of my life plan else would have taken care of that years ago.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Trying to frame this as "manning up" or being "scared" to meet her family is being silly. All I'm suggesting is that the timing of the visit can be used as a tool to manage expectations and the pace of the relationship.

You've never heard that "taking him/her home to meet the parents" is often considered a significant milestone in a relationship? You don't think there's a potential for claiming a loss of "face" or triggering resentment because you decided to break up with her after she introduced you to her family and her kids? Or being put under emotional pressure to become more emotionally involved or committed after a visit home?

Either you love her or you don't. You know this after 1 or 2 weeks.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

He might not have put it very tactfully, but there are many, many reasons not to take on another man's kids.  Especially if you're still reasonably young yourself.

I agree. I did that and regretted it.

I am living in Isaan now for 30 more years.I can tell you,that her family,specially her mother,is planning for a wedding.!! Why?  Because you are expected to pay a nice sum money for her,plus finance the wedding.For the moment,I know of two families that are eagerly waiting for their daughters to bring home the catch.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AventurasEnMadrid said:

My new gf, divorced and working for an insurance company in Bangkok and a mother of 2 young children that live with her parents (children’s grandparents) in a city in Isaan wants me to visit her family for the weekend .  She actually invited me the first time after only 1 week of dating but I turned her down then. This time I feel a bit uncomfortable but have agreed. Fwiw, I have been supporting her financially somewhat as well and her son is sick with long COVID, but have explained that there are limits. There are several other red flags I am feeling in the relationship but do feel I love her. Feedback welcome. Thank you everyone

So go if you care for her and you believe she cares for you, what wrong with you are you afraid of commitment.

• Confused 1