Overpass collapses in Lat Krabang, injuring many

snoop1130

More recent reports are that a crane lifting a section of roadway into place failed and dropped it onto a 500 meter section of the 2km elevated roadway causing the collapse.  A construction accident.

why wait for the facts? unless someone wrecked their car into the jobsite, this failure occurred during construction where the building standard is "good enough", once that level is reached then it's off to the next job, I see this standard in everything here, so of course there will be plenty more mistakes than a country whose standard is "as good as possible". I imagine there's an official construction inspector that monitors progress and safety, but is there really? unskilled workers doing the job while bosses are napping/scrolling and not supervising, it's not surprising . it would be surprising if this wasn't worker error and I'll be happy to be proved wrong after the investigation,  you can tell me so if it turns out that way, and I'll do the same (after I'm proved right????)

Edited by Pink Mist
Replied to post removed

Under construction or not, I'm surprised more overpasses haven't collapsed since they've been built.  Nearly all working pickups and LGVs are pushing the limits on a daily basis.  Obviously nobody has never heard of the ideom, "The Straw that broke the camel's back". 

I dread what's going to happen when all the EVs join the party. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:
1 hour ago, rwill said:

At least there were at about 100 Safety First banners posted around the site.

I always find construction disasters hilarious as well. 

But what's your take on satire. You do understand that concept..?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It was a type of form/fixture that collapsed, not a bridge. 

It was a construction accident, not a bridge collapse. 

It appears that this was a precast concrete segment bridge erected using a gantry; similar to the picture. 

https://www.pci.org/PCI_Docs/Design_Resources/Guides_and_manuals/references/bridge_design_manual/JL-10-Winter_Self-Launching_Erection_Machines_for_Precast_Concrete_Bridges.pdf

Whether the gantry failed or a previously placed unit on which the gantry sat failed first is difficult to identify from the pictures I've seen. Failure of these erector gantries was not uncommon 20 years ago when they were fairly novel.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 1.36.29 PM.png

9 minutes ago, Mario Cosmopolite said:

It appears that this was a precast concrete segment bridge erected using a gantry; similar to the picture. 

https://www.pci.org/PCI_Docs/Design_Resources/Guides_and_manuals/references/bridge_design_manual/JL-10-Winter_Self-Launching_Erection_Machines_for_Precast_Concrete_Bridges.pdf

Whether the gantry failed or a previously placed unit on which the gantry sat failed first is difficult to identify from the pictures I've seen. Failure of these erector gantries was not uncommon 20 years ago when they were fairly novel.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 1.36.29 PM.png

Exactly, it was the fixture that fell, and I do not think it was very high or supporting anything when it fell. 

I drove through that jobsite yesterday afternoon and the fixture and on blocks, not on top of the columns. Unless there was another one on the same site I missed. 

We were coming back from the "Siam Premium Outlets Bangkok" mall. Drove by one side in going in the morning and the other coming back in the afternoon. 

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I'm sticking to my 4 foot rule... that's as high as I go in Thailand... even if it's certified to be engineered to the highest standards... I say ... RAISE THE STANDARDS

Good idea but it is more of the onsite inspection neccessary, quality of cement and inspection. ????

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

See @Mr Meeseeks's post above.  I'm not even sure that 'corporate manslaughter' exists in Thai law.  Even if someone gets blamed it will be low level engineer and not the company bosses/directors.

Do you in the event of a construction site disaster that a director at Bechtel would be prosecuted? 

My opinion of Thai road construction and repair is poor. The finished product may be good but the process of construction/repair is sloppy and unsafe. Atrocious project management, stupid risk taking with both workers and road users. This section would probably have been extremely safe once it was connected to the other sections. The construction engineers failed to provide adequate support for the section during the construction phase and other people have paid the price

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RobU said:

My opinion of Thai road construction and repair is poor. The finished product may be good but the process of construction/repair is sloppy and unsafe. Atrocious project management, stupid risk taking with both workers and road users. This section would probably have been extremely safe once it was connected to the other sections. The construction engineers failed to provide adequate support for the section during the construction phase and other people have paid the price

I think they do a pretty good job for what they spend and what they have to work with. 

Ever notice how many/most of the huge contractors in Thailand are European or Japanese? 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, 2baht said:

Housewives myth!

yes and no....truly random things like to make small cluster (if they would be even spaced it wouldn't be random). if you shoot an dart randomly it appears that there are always 2-3 together.

Of course it doesn't really come in 3, but if you look at it, it looks like it does

10 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

There was a recent article claiming the support for over passes were safe after a tourist questioned the size of the supports....Right!?

That structure is in Nonthaburi..the other side of town