Retirement visa requirements for an American friend

I have a 74 year old American friend moving to Thailand.

He has opened a bank account with over 800,000 baht already, 1 year ago.

He will be coming initially on a 30 day tourist visa.

What does he need to do to get a 1 year retirement visa in Pattaya?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by cnmltd
Spelling

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he is coming without a visa (30-day visa exemption) he first needs to apply for a Non O visa at Immigration. In Pattaya, I think he will need a long term rental or his own condo prior to the application.

The application is made using form TM87, proof of his long term accommodation, the TM30 notification receipt (foreigner staying in the property) and financial proof (his bank in Pattaya should understand what this needs to be). If the funds have not been in the bank for a few months already, Immigration will probably want to see proof that the money came from abroad. The application is taken under consideration, with a report back date probably two to three weeks later to receive an initial 90-day stay. Note that the visa application must be done with at least 15 days remaining on his current permission to stay. He can extend his 30-day visa exempt entry by a further 30 days if necessary before submitting the application for the Non O visa.

During the final 30 days of the 90-day entry for the visa, he applies for a one-year extension of his permission to stay, based on retirement. This is done using form TM7 and otherwise much the same documents as for the Non O visa application.

Thanks very much Tim. Very informative. Bank is already open, nearly 2 years already. The rest should be no problem. 

The 30 day "visa" is not a visa. It's a stamp that he would get upon entry.

I would advise applying for an actual visa, a 60 day tourist visa in the U.S. before traveling. The reason to do that would be to reduce any time pressure that will exist with the 30 day stamp to get all the documents in order before applying for the CONVERSION step to a 90 day O visa in Thailand. 

• Like 2

I came here visa exempt... got a 30 day extension in order to settle on long term residence... got 90 day... then retirement... very much worth having a visa assist company's help the first time thru it all.

Coming visa exempt eliminates a couple of requirements needed when applying in the USA for a visa... one is the need for a criminal history report... I have no criminal history so why would I want to shell out dollars for that.

• Confused 1

Well of course entering with a 90 day O visa obtained in the US would be ideal. But I have no.idea which Thai consulates if any would grant that with the reason to retire in Thailand.

O visa doesn’t require a criminal background check and of course tourist visas don't either.

Entering on a 30 day stamp is a possible starting point but the time pressure doing that is significant.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will suggest to him, maybe a 60 day tourist visa.

That will give him time to get everything in order.

Although, that should not be a problem as I will be

driving him around and sorting everything.

It depends which is easier for him to obtain in the US I guess.

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

When entering Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa) you are stamped in by border-immigration with a 30-day Permit to stay.  The application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa needs to be done when you still have at least 15 days left on your Permit to stay (and in Chaing Mai they require 21 days, and in Phuket 15 working days). 

Since your friend already has a Thai bank-account with the required funds, he would be able to apply at his local Imm Office in the 1st week of arrival.  And if it turns out that he needs additional time he could simply apply for a 30-day extension of stay which is provided on the spot and added to his initial Permit to stay expiry date (cost 1.900,- THB). 

In view of the above there is little need for him to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (retirement).  He would however when departing for Thailand without a Visa, need to show at departure from the US an outward bound ticket to an international destination from Thailand on a date prior to expiry of the 30-day Permit to stay he will receive on entry.  Buying a fully legit flight-reservation online on a site like on onwardflight.com or another on-line onward flight ticket-reservation company cost only 12 to 15 US $.  Such reservation is automatically cancelled within 2-3 days, so needs to be done on the day before or day of departure and they are provided on-the-spot when paying by credit-card.

Good in theory. In practice entering.with an O would be ideal if possible.

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Excellent explanation and checklist at below Pattaya City Expats Club webpage regarding going from a Visa Exempt to Non O Retirement within Thailand....at the Pattaya Immigration Office.

https://pcec.club/Applying-for-Non-Immigrant-O-Retirement

And below is a link to the official Immigration Bureau guidance:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Not that it's slavishly followed to the letter by each and every immigration office in practice, of course. In particular in the context of this thread, Jomtien appear to have seen fit to impose an unofficial rogue 60-day seasoning requirement on applicants using the 800k method, as noted by the PCEC. 

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:53 PM, cnmltd said:

What does he need to do to get a 1 year retirement visa in Pattaya?

Go to see Maneerat (Soi Post Office / Soi 13/2) & they will handle it all for him for approx. 23,500THB at the end of which he'll have his initial 90 Day Non-IMM O Visa + next 12 months extension (so will be good for 15 months). 

I know a lot of people will say to do it himself (2,000THB) but at 74 & with (I'm assuming) little knowledge about how to get a Non-Imm O Visa I'd recommend just spending the money & taking all of the hassle/stress out of it. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, cnmltd said:

Thanks very much Tim. Very informative. Bank is already open, nearly 2 years already. The rest should be no problem. 

I believe there still exists (on West Coast) 3 spots to get 60 day or even O Visa before leaving U.S.A.

San Francisco, Portland and Vancouver B.C. Being from Seattle I used the Portlands Consultant's Office I sent the correct form with Money Order, Passport and a prepaid Fedexe overnight return envelope Overnight to Portland and received My Passport back with visa in 3 days.

Look up Phone number online and they can download correct form for initial required Visa to get him started.

This worked best for me but it was 18 years ago. I do not remember let me pause and look for old Passport.

Found it!

I had been to Thailand with free 30 day Visa with multiple exits/entries into Myanmar. In Passport. I had returned to USA and did the Portland Visa application about 6 months later. It was a category O with multiple entries. It gave me a beginning date to be used before as long as my Passportt remained valid. The a issued date, the expire date was (used before date) 1 year later. I can show a photo of this Passport page if needed.

Again my first Visa application was a Non Immigant Visa Category O. and Signed by Honorary Consulant General. I submitted everything needed including photo(s) and Fees to Portland Office. My returned Passport had Consulant General's Stamp, a Fees paid and a Multiple Journey (Entry) Stamp. Finally an issued Stamp plus a expire (used before) Stamp. Of course it also had O Visa Issue number.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

I believe there still exists (on West Coast) 3 spots to get 60 day or even O Visa before leaving U.S.A.

San Francisco, Portland and Vancouver B.C. Being from Seattle I used the Portlands Consultant's Office I sent the correct form with Money Order, Passport and a prepaid Fedexe overnight return envelope Overnight to Portland and received My Passport back with visa in 3 days.

Look up Phone number online and they can download correct form for initial required Visa to get him started.

This worked best for me but it was 18 years ago. I do not remember let me pause and look for old Passport.

Found it!

I had been to Thailand with free 30 day Visa with multiple exits/entries into Myanmar. In Passport. I had returned to USA and did the Portland Visa application about 6 months later. It was a category O with multiple entries. It gave me a beginning date to be used before as long as my Passportt remained valid. The a issued date, the expire date was (used before date) 1 year later. I can show a photo of this Passport page if needed.

Again my first Visa application was a Non Immigant Visa Category O. and Signed by Honorary Consulant General. I submitted everything needed including photo(s) and Fees to Portland Office. My returned Passport had Consulant General's Stamp, a Fees paid and a Multiple Journey (Entry) Stamp. Finally an issued Stamp plus a expire (used before) Stamp. Of course it also had O Visa Issue number.

Here is copy of my first Visa this was a 90 day valid from 25 July to 22 October. Yes, not as I quoted before 18 years this started my continuous stay 15 years ago. This gave me 90days to do a Retirement O Non Immigrant 1 year Visa in Chiangmai.

16891212755484323891258589041804.jpg

Like someone else mentioned, do NOT come with a “30-day visa” (you mean 30 days visa exempt).

Get a proper 2 month visa from the Thai embassy.

Otherwise your next question might well be: “help, need agent to convert visa or leave the country to get a visa”.

1 hour ago, CecilM said:

Like someone else mentioned, do NOT come with a “30-day visa” (you mean 30 days visa exempt).

Otherwise your next question might well be: “help, need agent to convert visa or leave the country to get a visa”.

Yes possible to do with a 30 day stamp but very little time to recover if something goes wrong.

3 hours ago, CecilM said:

Yes, he can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O eVisa (retirement).  And even if the application goes sideways (the eVisa application process can be confusing) or when he did not receive his Visa before planned departure, he can can still fly VisaExempt (without a Visa) to Thailand and will be stamped in for 30 days on arrival.  And in ultimate case he can still apply for the Non Imm O Visa (retirement) at his local Imm Office when he still has at least 15 days left on that initial Permit to stay.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

All visa applications in the US must now go through the e-visa system. Thai honorary consulates in the US are no longer empowered to issue visas either by post or in person.

Ditto Vancouver.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes possible to do with a 30 day stamp but very little time to recover if something goes wrong.

if something goes wrong ( i seriously doubt it as he already has the 800,000 in  bank) 
can get the 30 day extension if needed.