Plan is to rally parliament behind the people’s will to elect Pita Limjaroenrat as Prime Minister

webfact

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If the Constitution Court accept the case after 13 July based on Section 151 of the Election Law for holding shares in a media company, the criminal procedures will involved many steps and can take months and years. If he is found quity for breaching the law, it can mean prison time and ban politically for an extensive period. The government will simply appoint a Prime Minister to take his place. The key date will be 13 July and if EC could not forward the case to the Court, the senators will be less pressured to abstain or vote no. 

Agree  In my opionion I dont think the EC will do anything at this time they will wait to see outcome of vote, but i dont think he will get the votes.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It is a law which allows those in power ( and remember that includes those with "influence" behind the scenes) to basically intern, prosecute and imprison their opponents, to remove them from the political arena. It offers a veneer of respectability to what is basically good old fashioned political suppression.

This is also the way Thais operate in business. 

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It's a new era and past architects of political decisions have passed and the Generals from the Burapha Phayak have been defanged. What is left are the ultra conservatives in the senate that have influence on the next government but they too will be gone by next year. I feel that there will be less political happenings like in the last two decade. 

Wishful thinking I am afraid. I heard exactly the same sentiments from Thais and foreigners when Thaksin came to power in 2001. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

Hoping MF will not rely on the constitution alone to end coups but create a law stating the death penalty for coup makers. Then another dozen laws regarding misuse of state funds (the military belongs to the state) and ancillary laws that can’t be quashed easily.

The laws are already there, but as usual they are not enforced. That comes from the very top of the heap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Wishful thinking I am afraid. I heard exactly the same sentiments from Thais and foreigners when Thaksin came to power in 2001. 

I am expressing more on the extrapolitical factors and the personalities that played key roles in 2 decades of non democratic means to grapped and hold power. Those factors are gone. Thaksin attempt to bring the military under the government failed and scared the establishment. The establishment failed in providing the governments that showed they are better and instead were even more corrupted with no accountability. Their supporters have now turned on them and thus provide a better political environment for the new government to thrive. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The laws are already there, but as usual they are not enforced. That comes from the very top of the heap.

So true that the double standard of enforcement is the problem. The military has to be reformed to bring the entity under the control of the government like in most democratic countries and also neighbouring Asean countries like Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Caretaker PM Office Minister Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said on Tuesday if Pita Limjaroenrat fail to get the minium vote needed to become PM on Thursday another name should be submitted the week after and not Pita's name anew.

Not sure a dodgy career civil servant has any say in this.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

Thai people didn't vote for "this" version of the constution. They for for "the" constitution and then it was amended and not put to the vote. 

they voted for the 2017 constution

The current constitution was adopted in 2017. The 105-page, 279-article proposed constitution[2][3] was approved by 61.4 percent of Thai voters with 59.4 percent of the public participating. It allows the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to appoint an eight to ten person panel who will choose Senators,[4] and includes six seats reserved for the heads of the Royal Thai Army, Navy, Air Force, and Police, plus the military's supreme commander, and defense permanent secretary. The bicameral Parliament could also select a candidate as Prime Minister who is not one of its members or even a politician. Critics suggest it effectively allows the military to control the government whatever the outcome of subsequent elections.

it was amened  constitutional amendment bill passed by parliament on Sept 10 has been issued. It was published in the Royal Gazette on Sunday. The amendments involve Sections 83, 86 and 91 of the 2017 constitution. regaring the election .

Edited by MikeandDow

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Anything, absolutely anything that can be done to limit the power of the army, and the toxic and corrupt senators they appointed, is a good thing for the nation. The dinosaurs must be made extinct. And the youth must be allowed representation or control. Total control, if possible. They are the only ones who can move this nation forward, and stop the heinous and regressive  army. The corrupt, army appointed senators need to do the right thing, if they know what is best for them, and their families. If they do not, all bets are off.

The most important part of this equation was only 42 seats for Prawit and 37 for Cha Cha. It was a huge repudiation for the status quo. The people said no, I don't think so, you guys are dinosaurs, we don't want you, we don't like you, you need to disappear off the face of the earth.

His election is a truly great thing for this nation and shows that the people are both sick of being led by highly ignorant dinosaurs, with no interest in progress, and interested in smart, young folks, who are serious, accomplished, capable of change, and interested in insuring that Thailand has a good future. Pita is exactly what this nation needs, at this point in time. This is a huge blessing. I am optimistic. I think he will stick to his promises.

I agree in part, but i would NOT threaten the families, You have a pretense to violence in your posts, which I belive shows a distubing nature, I might be wrong i am not a mental health doctor.

• Sad 3

"......the political leader’s authorship of four books and asking the Election Commission if this may be construed as the operation of a newspaper under Thailand’s Printing Recordation Act of 2007."

Talk about clutching at straws! 

You've been beaten - own up - admit it, and let the DEMOCRATIC Government VOTED FOR by the people do their job!

Just now, MikeandDow said:

Techinical publishing books can be construed as the operation of a media company,

Thai election laws, like virtually all Thai laws, always have some vagueness so that they can be "interpreted" (anyone ever visit Thai immigration?).

dont forget they kicked out a PM for going on a TV cooking show

Ridiculous - not your post - the facts!

"(anyone ever visit Thai immigration?)." Yes - many times, and I have learned that on my last 90 day report before my extension is due is to ask for a checklist, and ask (a) Has anything changed since last year?, and (b) Is there anything that is not on this checklist that should be?

Prior to last year, my Immigration Office said that my Bank Book had to be updated within 3 days of coming to Immigration - now it has to be done on the same day!!!

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

Ridiculous - not your post - the facts!

"(anyone ever visit Thai immigration?)." Yes - many times, and I have learned that on my last 90 day report before my extension is due is to ask for a checklist, and ask (a) Has anything changed since last year?, and (b) Is there anything that is not on this checklist that should be?

Prior to last year, my Immigration Office said that my Bank Book had to be updated within 3 days of coming to Immigration - now it has to be done on the same day!!!

There you go vagueness in the laws by immigration,  proves my point about Thai laws  each immigration office "interpreted" the laws different

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, stoner said:

she really won't though. 

Plenty threw more than their knickers in 2010. Central World burned down. Large areas of Siam Square and Victory Monument burned down. Asok junction and Lumpini Park area blocked for weeks. Were you even here in 2010?

Red Shirt Protests 85.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Senators really don't have a good argument to justify undoing the election and denying the will of the people.

Better to vote him through, and then use the "System" (courts, commissions) to drive him from office.

I mean it took almost zero effort to drive Yingluck from office, by using the Constitutional Court and a dodgy charge about reassigning a security official some three years earlier.

And you conveniently forget malfearence in the rice marketing activity, for which her minister was jailed for 42 years. 

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Thai peole are apathetic, sure there will be protests but not tens of thousands be a few hundred after a couple of day, zero all forgotten, that is the thai way.

Were you here during the last uprising, that involved hundreds of thousands and lasted many weeks?

Red Shirt Protests 26.jpg

Red Shirt Protests 51.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Were you here during the last uprising, that involved hundreds of thousands and lasted many weeks?

Red Shirt Protests 26.jpg

Red Shirt Protests 51.jpg

yes i was but that is completely a diffrent thing and it did not last all that long  top photo about 600 people it involed a couple of hundred  if that dissidents, so dont try to equate this to what might happen now times have changed so have the thai people, as i said Thai peole are apathetic, dont care

• Confused 1