Magazine ranks Thailand 9th best retirement spot on Earth

snoop1130

55 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Difference of opinion I guess. I love Mexico... Heading to Colombia Wed.. Think I will check out the Philippines when I return from Colombia. IF I make it out alive, ugggg

I liked Mexico in the 70's... now not so much... too much violence connected to the drug trade.  Was in Columbia post cocaine days... not too bad but not all that either...  Philippines... lots of areas to avoid... but the best for bars and girls in Subic Bay/Olongapo City.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

By the way, who dreams up this rubbish? Are they paid? 

This guy highlights the ability to 

Yep, especially those that fall apart. 

That is, if they're built at all. 

How many times have we seen here the cheating, scamming and downright theft in the property market.

As oft said here....rent don't buy

Good job you don’t live here then ????

• Haha 1

After 20 years istill love thailand ,,one has to put me effort in and adjust but having nipping home to uk and australia ,,,thailand is more ,,to me

I think it's down to individual but I got say money goes further,,here for me ,,,,,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I am American but I also hold a Greek passport , and I chose to live in Thailand and only spend summers in Greece because i find life to be a lot easier in Thailand, even without having a Thai passport. 

I dont know why people here complain , Retired life in Thailand is pretty good IMO.

People like complaining. Thats how many are from 4yo to 84yo.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Like the majority of people here on Thai visa we made  our choice to live here in Thailand for what ever reason 

You make your bed and lie in it 

Enjoy your stay 

I never make my bed

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Panama and France are expensive. Only for the wealthy expats. If budget is a primary consideration, the quality of life here is quite high for most of us. I can't think of another country in Asia I would rather live in. 

There are cheap places to live in Panama but most expats wouldn't want to live there. Such as the city of David.

Overall Panama is more affordable than Costa Rica.

7 hours ago, blazes said:

Kind of depends WHERE you live in a particular country.

In Thailand:

Chiang Mai: 4 months of cancerous smog.

Bangkok:  immobile traffic.

Phuket:  ruinous prices for everything that a falang needs or wants.

Hua Hin:  Crossing the road is bad for your health.

Pattaya:  Lo-so.

Find a nice quiet village in Issan....but then you are bored pretty well to death in less than a week.

So, maybe not retire, but just visit for six months or so of every year...

Kanchanaburi.

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I liked Mexico in the 70's... now not so much... too much violence connected to the drug trade.  Was in Columbia post cocaine days... not too bad but not all that either...  Philippines... lots of areas to avoid... but the best for bars and girls in Subic Bay/Olongapo City.

Agree the 70's were great. Unfortunately I cannot live in Thailand. I have very mild asthma and in Thailand the air is so bad it makes my life miserable. Here in the US , Mexico , Colombia , and a few others I have no problems. Also  I love the Mexican vibe. And the food. But, I live in little Mexico in the states.. So, part of my culture. Lived in Thailand for years though.  And the hot latin women have gotten in my blood... hahaha

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Yeah.. and as well all know foreigners can't buy land. I lived in Thailand for 17 years in a nice mooban but the homes there never sold for more than what the owners paid for them when they bought them new. 

Maybe condos go up in value, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard about people buying. nice condo and then the owners let the common areas fall into disrepair. 

Exactly,...heard the same thing over and over again,...and saw it at a friend's luxury place...

9 hours ago, blazes said:

Kind of depends WHERE you live in a particular country.

In Thailand:

Chiang Mai: 4 months of cancerous smog.

Bangkok:  immobile traffic.

Phuket:  ruinous prices for everything that a falang needs or wants.

Hua Hin:  Crossing the road is bad for your health.

Pattaya:  Lo-so.

Find a nice quiet village in Issan....but then you are bored pretty well to death in less than a week.

So, maybe not retire, but just visit for six months or so of every year...

..."So, maybe not retire, but just visit for six months or so of every year..."...Exactly what I have been doing for the last 30 years,...6 months Asia,..6 months Europe,...and traveling around all those country's extensively.

• Like 1