Bangkok to start using AI in management of traffic flow

webfact

image.png

Bangkok is to start using AI (Artificial Intelligence) to manage traffic flow on Ratchadapisek, Prasertmanukit and Ratchapruek roads.

The traffic management model, developed through cooperation between the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and Office of Transport, Traffic Policy and Planning, will use AI to estimate traffic volume in each hour, analyse bottlenecks and come up with solutions in real time. For example, by adjusting traffic lights in line with traffic volume.

The technology will utilise the city’s existing 1,000 CCTV traffic cameras, managed by the BMA, and there will be more cameras installed on Ratchadapisek Road for this project.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-to-start-using-ai-in-management-of-traffic-flow/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Intelligent traffic managment has been around for over 20 years.  Cameras used to monitor and regulate traffic lights and traffic flows.  Yes, the issue here will be keeping the equipment and software up to date and running properly, if in fact it will actually ever exist.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, sungod said:

Hope it works, every major traffic jam I come across has a cop directing traffic.

Every cop 'directing traffic' just seems to be waving me along to go faster. "Hurry up!!!" is the cry...

Which is particularly annoying when I am 50cm from the car in front, travelling at walking pace or slower.

I laughed out loud upon seeing the headline.

Taking inner city Sukhumvit Road as an example. Each time I have driven that over the decades I have muttered to myself "Why dont the synchronise the effin lights on the junctions?" Now AI is the new buzzword for existing computer technology.

• Like 1

Some years ago, the government introduced a computerized system for traffic lights. A policeman chopped the wires up at one site. I can't imagine the police leaving their airconditioned booths to do actual police work.