Afterwards, do you want to listen to 'The Way We Were' or thank God you dodged a bullet?

Gecko123

You ever search the internet for old flames, (high school sweethearts, college flings, ex-wives, one night stands) to see where they live, if they're still alive, maybe even find a picture of what they look like today? Come on, admit it, everyone does that sometimes, don't they?

I tend to do look up women who dumped me, rather than the other way around, and, yes, I've been dumped more than my share, so there's a lot of women out there I can look up. 555. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the women who dumped me have ended up alone in later life, either never having married, or getting divorced. Few seem to have aged as well as me.

One woman who really drove a dagger into my heart regularly updates her photo on her so-called 'life coaching' website. In her latest photo, I thought I saw a glint of fear in her eye, perhaps a fear of dying alone, I imagined. Gave me a twinge of satisfaction, I'll confess.

So what do you think when you see a picture of old flames today? Does it make you feel nostalgic like I could still love her even to this day, or is it more like 'my God, what was I thinking, there's no way we were compatible, I really dodged a bullet there, thank you, Jesus'?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a bit of a coincidence as I did look up someone who rejected me in high school recently. For fun. I have a facebook account in a silly name that is otherwise not used. It was a bit of a shocker at the time and she ended up with my best friend. Became friends later but no go for romance. 

The coincidence is that she is in fact now a life coach and her life story on the site says she was a potential high flyer but then had a debilitating injury and her life coaching is based around that experience. Not sure how the business is going though. 

It is kind of interesting to see the person you had a crush on and to be able to fast forward 30 or 40 years in five minutes reading. 

I had a girlfriend too back in the 80's who works in a university and published a book on feminism and on the spur of the moment I contacted her and we had a nice dinner with a mutual friend. No, people, she was nice, friendly, and open despite what some people think of feminists here. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

Yeah I've googled them. They all ended up better without me, and frankly I ended up better without them.

If they were dead it wouldn't bother me, and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

• Like 1

Went to a "class reunion" 2 months ago. My last was in 1978 before. What can I say? Age is a terrible adversary. Especially for females. The attractive girls of yesteryear that I used to chase have turned into some sort of Egyptian Mummies, but still moving.

I left in a state of shock. How vengeful can nature be when it comes to aging european females? The revenge of modern day living?

No more class reunions for me. Rather prefer to look at 70 year old female Thai street vendors.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, swissie said:

Went to a "class reunion" 2 months ago. My last was in 1978 before. What can I say? Age is a terrible adversary. Especially for females. The attractive girls of yesteryear that I used to chase have turned into some sort of Egyptian Mummies, but still moving.

I left in a state of shock. How vengeful can nature be when it comes to aging european females? The revenge of modern day living?

No more class reunions for me. Rather prefer to look at 70 year old female Thai street vendors.

They are having their morning coffee saying the same thing about you... 555

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, Gecko123 said:

The purpose of this thread isn't to provide people with the opportunity to grandstand about how enlightened and spiritually grounded and centered they are. The purpose is to allow people to share the range of emotions they experience when they find updates on past loves on the internet.

Ah yes; unintended consequences. That will teach ya'.

You must be forgetting where you are posting.

Nearly all threads have a fair share of wasted digital ink.

Most annoying are running exchanges between two members who have impugned each other's intelligence/honor /standing/ego, etc. So we get to hear them polluting the thread by trading one or two line snipes for the next hour. It can be something as minor as the spelling of a word.

That's when I move on even if it's an interesting thread.

Maybe I've been here too long but I don't read most of this forum anymore . Just endless repetition and jaw-wagging.

27 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Ah yes; unintended consequences. That will teach ya'.

You must be forgetting where you are posting.

Nearly all threads have a fair share of wasted digital ink.

Most annoying are running exchanges between two members who have impugned each other's intelligence/honor /standing/ego, etc. So we get to hear them polluting the thread by trading one or two line snipes for the next hour. It can be something as minor as the spelling of a word.

That's when I move on even if it's an interesting thread.

Maybe I've been here too long but I don't read most of this forum anymore . Just endless repetition and jaw-wagging.

I was surprised by the somewhat hostile initial responses to the thread, particularly the suggestion that I must have been drinking when I posted, which I can assure everyone was absolutely not the case.

I can only surmise that some forum members must associate any type of reflection about past romances with maudlin sentimentality and take a hard "don't want to go there" stance to avoid thinking about past memories they probably would prefer to forget. I understand that.

But it's undeniable that social media has provided opportunities to anonymously check up on people in your past which weren't available in the past, and all I was doing was trying to find out what kind of emotional reactions people have had in the process of doing this.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I was surprised by the somewhat hostile initial responses to the thread, particularly the suggestion that I must have been drinking when I posted, which I can assure everyone was absolutely not the case.

I can only surmise that some forum members must associate any type of reflection about past romances with maudlin sentimentality and take a hard "don't want to go there" stance to avoid thinking about past memories they probably would prefer to forget. I understand that.

But it's undeniable that social media has provided opportunities to anonymously check up on people in your past which weren't available in the past, and all I was doing was trying to find out what kind of emotional reactions people have had in the process of doing this.

You're still looking at it too narrowly.

Many replies here are never meant to explore ideas or offer suggestions.

They are meant to publicly proclaim the actual live presence of the poster and the fact that they have an 'opinion' or clever word play that should and must be recognized and appreciated. If they can zap a few zingers at anyone else in the thread or actually start an argument, then so much the better. This is all completely decoupled from the original OP topic.

(Kinda like this reply! 55555.)

As I said, that'll teach ya'.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but.........

The key to contentment in the Kingdom is to lower your expectations......... of everything.

On 7/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, Gecko123 said:

I tend to do look up women who dumped me, rather than the other way around, and, yes, I've been dumped more than my share,

How do you know you won't get dumped again and end up alone?

7 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Lots of unhappy people about. 

On 7/22/2023 at 7:01 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It's a bit of a coincidence as I did look up someone who rejected me in high school recently. For fun. I have a facebook account in a silly name that is otherwise not used. It was a bit of a shocker at the time and she ended up with my best friend. Became friends later but no go for romance. 

The coincidence is that she is in fact now a life coach and her life story on the site says she was a potential high flyer but then had a debilitating injury and her life coaching is based around that experience. Not sure how the business is going though. 

It is kind of interesting to see the person you had a crush on and to be able to fast forward 30 or 40 years in five minutes reading. 

I had a girlfriend too back in the 80's who works in a university and published a book on feminism and on the spur of the moment I contacted her and we had a nice dinner with a mutual friend. No, people, she was nice, friendly, and open despite what some people think of feminists here. 

Just curious. Meeting up with the feminist, who paid for dinner?

7 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Just curious. Meeting up with the feminist, who paid for dinner?

Paid our own way. Shouted each other drinks, 3 people so shout in multiples of 3, in a fair, non sexist, non exploitative, non oppressive, and non patriarchal manner. It was fun.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

I found a few as we have a group for our year at school. 

I'm surprised that most women look about 60+ and most men bald or grey. 

Went back recently and didnt recognize some who remembered me. 

Had dinner with a mate who married a 50 yo woman when he was 30. She had a walking stick and is now 80.

I look for old flames and contact some. 

They all thought I'd be dead by 30 due to my drinking. 

• Thumbs Up 1