What’s more important as you age — stretching, balance work or strength training?

During the cool months me and the wife ride our bicycles 5-10 km a fer times a week . I used to run but it got tough on my knees.  

Now that it's hot I go to the community pool  a few time a week and do laps. I find it to be good low impact exercise without sweating my Deleted off.  I have been thinking about getting one of those Nautilus machines for inside an A/C room but I am afraid I will use it for a while and then it will become a dust collector.

If you are a strong swimmer I recommend  the pool.  

Edited by sirineou
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw a Youtube video a few months ago. An 84 year old American doctor who was still weight training and had good muscle mass and definition. But he was taking supplements including testosterone to help maintain this.

Can't remember his name or find the video.

So then...what is the MOST important exercise as we age?

FALL PREVENTION exercises.

For older guys here, falling is a risk that can have dire consequences, either by breaking a hip, or worse.

Here are some exercises worth trying in order to help you maintain balance:

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Arnold is now 74.

He looks GREAT....

Just do what he does....as seen here:

He does well & what he said in "The Game Changer" documentary is basically how he lives now as shown in your vid link

Anyone who hasn't seen it...its worth a watch

18 minutes ago, mania said:

i just watched 10 seconds and saw him running and then the narrator is in awe that he is on a meat-free diet. 

i have a good story. i was having lunch with this guy in his 70s in super bad shape with a big belly who never works out. and he mentioned a guy he knew that was a vegan and a jogger who dropped dead at 50. he couldn't quite grasp how, if running is such a great exercise and veganism is such a great diet, he dropped dead so young. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

i have a good story. i was having lunch with this guy in his 70s in super bad shape with a big belly who never works out. and he mentioned a guy he knew that was a vegan and a jogger who dropped dead at 50. he couldn't quite grasp how, if running is such a great exercise and veganism is such a great diet, he dropped dead so young. 

And that is basically what that is ...."A Story"

Because it is common sense that just not eating meat & running means squat in the bigger picture. Maybe before he became a vegan jogger he was a fat cigarette smoking lump ????

That aside Nutrition is much more complex than a single thing even if Vegan, or Keto etc etc ,,,genetics is much more complex than that....How they were raised is much more complex & many other factors

Maybe your fat 70 year non exercising pal had great genes of parents that cared during his formative years yada yada yada ????

Athletes of all ages drop dead more often then most know. Inflamed muscles is a simple thing for most to understand yet "such a great diet, he dropped dead so young. "

Then an athlete drops dead of heart failure regardless of diet or age.........Oh right the heart is a muscle isn't it ????

"The heart is a muscular organ made up mostly of cardiac muscle" They do fail....often

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1

Weight training keeps your brain active and delays the conditions we are more prone to as we age (73). I have a Smiths Machine with barbell and weights but love my Kettlebells the most, they don't take up much room and can give a good workout.????️

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd pick stretching. Based on what my older mates say about putting on socks. 

Next a bit of strength training. 

As for balance, my opinion is that it is not the balance that goes it is the fast twitch muscles and flexibility which effects the ability for the body to react quickly enough to correct out of balance signals.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1

As one ages the joints and back are less able to support mass(weight).  I just turned 60 and have been going to the gym for 40 years.  I am 171 cm and 66 KG.  For me flexibility and cardio vascular health are the two priorities.  More mass(even if it is muscle) puts strain on our joints.  Of course everyone’s goals will be different.  I do a lot of stretching and my weight training is light weights and multiple repetitions. I still run on the treadmill multiple times per week.  So far this has worked for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, mania said:

He does well & what he said in "The Game Changer" documentary is basically how he lives now as shown in your vid link

Vegan nonsense

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm 194 cm/90k - which I brought down from 117k with intermittent fasting....I played my last organized sport at 70....I brought the weight down in an effort to keep my knees & non titanium hip from any additional wear & tear....

I walk the dog about 4 miles a day + ride a bicycle approximately the same distance.....I bought a cable/pulley home gym and use it 6 days a week.....I can still bend putting my palms flat on the floor, which is good because my knees are shot....

Stretching = not much....Balance is ok, but not what once was - no off balance episodes....The wrinkling is a bummer & starting to show on my thighs.... Muscle mass just doesn't seem to flourish....

At almost every meal my wife makes a point of telling me about the good nutritional stuff she's included & what it helps body wise.....

All in all feeling good approaching 76....

I am also approaching 76 in December. Lived here 14 years, was on the road as a pro musician for 40 years before that, which obviously meant plenty of not-so-good food, alcohol & cannabis, unusual sleep times (and partners!) Still love my burgers and chips, and beer, wine, voddy, but live carefully, with the Mrs, on Bht 40k per month as house and car are paid for. NO health insurance.

Never done any formal exercise in my life, in fact I ran home when it was supposed to be football practice on snow-covered field.

Go for annual check-ups and as such, nothing to show apart from slightly high BP, for which I take Amlodepine, and Doxadozin for slightly large prostate, 80ml, but PSA 0f 0.98.

I'm feelin' alright!

• Like 1

Ping Shuai Gong – The Chinese Arm Swinging Exercise

Ping Shuai Gong, the Chinese arm swinging exercise, is so simple. You do nothing more than swing the arms, and it takes you only 10 minutes to learn. If you do it consistently, you will enjoy its benefits in a matter of days

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

not at 50.

that's an aberration and you are probably doing sth really wrong with your body. 

If I showed you 50 people without giving you any information could you tell me which of those people will live until they are 70 + and which will die at a much younger age?

I will give you an example from my personal family experience.

I am 79 and I have had 2 blackouts in 5 months,

My Dad died of a heart attack in his 69th year.

My Mum died of lung cancer in her 69th year, 15 years later.

My middle brother died in his 82nd year.

My youngest brother died at 10 months old. 

How do you explain those figures?

I cannot, and they are my family.

IMHO stretching and bending your body are far more important than muscle training.

It is no use having lots of muscle if you cant bend or stretch, You simply fall over,

3 times a day I lie on my bed and do 30 arm stretches, 30 stretches of each leg, 30 toe scrunches, 30 slow deep breaths and 10 deep breaths between each individual session. I take a count of 3 to hold each time. Then the worst bit, with my knees bent, I lift my back and spine  off the bed for a count of 3, repeat that 5 times, breathe deeply 10 times then do another 5 lifts.

At 79 the most of those I can do is 10 but every week I try to do 5 more back lifts. But it hurts.

Now I can breathe more easily and walk a bit further. 

I have also lost about 11.3 kg this year simply by eating less. It is hard work but worth it in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Weight training keeps your brain active and delays the conditions we are more prone to as we age (73). I have a Smiths Machine with barbell and weights but love my Kettlebells the most, they don't take up much room and can give a good workout.????️

The "new" thing is elastic power bands. Great homegym for most, and if I found these before I built my complete homegym, I could got away with much less equipment, but as old fashioned man, I love to move some weights.

Just using your body, lifting some weights creates endorphins. Not only important to  people who suffer from mood changes, but great for a longer happy life.

When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/exercise-depression

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The "new" thing is elastic power bands. Great homegym for most, and if I found these before I built my complete homegym, I could got away with much less equipment, but as old fashioned man, I love to move some weights.

Just using your body, lifting some weights creates endorphins. Not only important to  people who suffer from mood changes, but great for a longer happy life.

When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/exercise-depression

Yes the bands are great, they can help in assisting in many exercises like pull ups and ab wheels until you get strong enough to do the exercise unaided.