Extra-long weekend in Thailand: here’s what you need to know

snoop1130

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Spend about 4 months in a row once and do come back a couple of times a years as my wife's family lives there and we own a couple of businesses there. Didn't want to stay there as I wanted my kids to have a good education followed by a good, well paying job.

Ok. So you really haven't experienced life in a village, more like a 2 week millionaire visiting the gf's house.

Understood clearly.????????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, connda said:

Benny Hill had a song about holidays that was brilliant but I've been unable to ever find it again.
He went through all the holidays and weekends and other special times and at the end of the day came up with the fact that the entire year is a holiday and nobody works. It was a really funny song, wish I could find it again.

If so, kindly share it with me - I am a big fan of Benny Hill ???? 

On 7/26/2023 at 5:51 PM, mfd101 said:

It is measured productivity that makes nations rich or poor.

Such utter BS shows how brainwashed your POV is.

Stuff doesn’t make you rich. Lack of an ability to get/afford essential needs (not wants) makes you poor. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:10 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Spend about 4 months in a row once and do come back a couple of times a years as my wife's family lives there and we own a couple of businesses there. Didn't want to stay there as I wanted my kids to have a good education followed by a good, well paying job.

Ah, OK. You're a Thailand neophyte after all. No worries and thanks for the clarification.

"we".... LOL

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 4:03 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Ok. So you really haven't experienced life in a village, more like a 2 week millionaire visiting the gf's house.

Understood clearly.????????

You clearly don't know anything about me. 

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, Andycoops said:

Clearly you don't understand how Thailand works.

As the chinese actress said when she paid for the police out riders to whisk her from the airport in Bangkok to her Pattaya hotel and I quote, 'everything in Thailand is for sale '

My wife's friend was offered a job at the local school when someone was retiring, after completing her degree, the fee was 200,000 baht paid into the school directors bank account if she wanted the position.

I suggest you wake up and smell the coffee...

I live and work here for a long time, don't have to pay to get a job. Only unqualified people need to.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Bored like fck after 4 months moved to Bangkok. Lived in Thailand for a very long time.

So you keep saying but it's funny how you've missed how the police have to buy the way up their promotion path. That's why all the top ranks are stuffed with the most honest, professional and capable officers ensuring that law enforcement is number one.

At my oldest lads last school, the head of their English Department notably couldn't read or write the language. I wonder how she managed to get that position?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So you keep saying but it's funny how you've missed how the police have to buy the way up their promotion path. That's why all the top ranks are stuffed with the most honest, professional and capable officers ensuring that law enforcement is number one.

Doesn't make it a general thing for every profession.

A 'head of' manages, has other responsibilities than talking and writing English. Can be done by other people.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2023 at 5:51 PM, mfd101 said:

It is measured productivity that makes nations rich or poor.

Thais are (mostly) poor.

But happier and have a lower suicide rate than the breadhead countries like Finland or the USA. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, Sydebolle said:

The cabinet's "gift" to the people of Thailand is not paid by the government or its tax payers (if you discount those millions of government employees) but by the private industry. They carry the burden of paying taxes (for the government employees holidays) as well as the absence costs of their own staff; latter being paid for not having to show up to work. 

The happiest I ever was was working for a Government university, working 3 days a week and getting 4 months holiday a year. However, the salary was pretty low. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, bdenner said:

My 28 yo step daughter has been employed (after we bought her the position) for some 9 months in a local 'Orr Bor Tor' Office. Has spent more time here at home than when she was unemployed.

Ahhh the land of the long weekend!!!!!

I think they really have more holidays than actual working days.  No exaggeration.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Vanderlay said:

Hi, does anyone know if schools are closed?  Thanks.

Daughters off until next Thursday the 3rd. Been out of school since after classes on Thursday last week.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Even during the holiday my condo has people watching the place. It’s like they need to watch the foreigners every day. Nobody gets in or out without been seen.

I think you maybe paranoid.,  who do you think is watching you and the other foreigners ?