Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I do know I regard all forms of organized religion as anathema, due to the evils they have visited and continue to visit on the world.

As opposed of course to the organized secular regimes of people such as Mao, Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot, with the evils they have visited,  and continue to visit on the world in the hands of their ideological heirs.

In an era where religion is a core belief, most widespread evils will have a religious tinge, Just as in a secular era, evils will be largely driven by secular beliefs and ideologies..

Just as when most people were religious, most scientists were religious. Now that most people are atheistic or agnostic, most scientists are atheistic or agnostic.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

With today's medical advances Cognitive Dissonance is a very treatable condition.

If you want to know about Cognitive Dissonance, then you should start with FESTINGER, so that you actually KNOW the meaning of the term. Cognitive Dissonance is not as simple as some might imagine.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists?

Garbage.

IMO an actually smart person would admit that no one can actually know that for sure, and be open for evidence one way or the other.

Such evidence has not yet been found.

That is similar to: We cannot be sure if there is a tooth fairy and St Claus - only because nobody saw them until now.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, pomchop said:

If by God you mean some organized religions fairy tale version that parents worldwide brainwash their young children in believing no thanks.

It is ludicrous when claims are made about Greta Thunberg being brainwashed into belief in climate change, despite ample factual evidence for said belief.

No doubt some of the same deniers cheerfully send their children to religious instruction, with no supporting evidence.

10 minutes ago, sipi said:

So exactly where on the video does Frenman say smart people are atheist? At which minute mark?

I painfully watched the bit about tooth brushes, atoms, seagulls squabbling over a chip and some other irrelevant stuff, but completely missed the exact verse Gummy is trying to duplicate.

You mean that you entirely MISSED the Scientific Method video, a lecture by Feynman?  It was posted there, plain as day.

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

As opposed of course to the organized secular regimes of people such as Mao, Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot, with the evils they have visited,  and continue to visit on the world in the hands of their ideological heirs.

In an era where religion is a core belief, most widespread evils will have a religious tinge, Just as in a secular era, evils will be largely driven by secular beliefs and ideologies..

Just as when most people were religious, most scientists were religious. Now that most people are atheistic or agnostic, most scientists are atheistic or agnostic.

I would point out Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church are working hand in glove to convince Russians the war in Ukraine is righteous.

Your statement is valid, as far as look over there goes.

How much evil do you think is ongoing, from the refusal of the Catholic church to accept contraception with condoms, and maintaining celibacy among priests?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is similar to: We cannot be sure if there is a tooth fairy and St Claus - only because nobody saw them until now.

Given that this universe may only be one among an infinite number of universes created by one God, I would not be surprised if among their number a planet similar to this one has both Santa and a tooth fairy.

Children will believe whatever their parents tell them, till they become individuals capable of understanding that lemming beliefs are not necessarily real.

I can think of more than a few fairy tales that supposedly rational people believe in nowadays, so I guess some people never really grow up. Eg, windmills and electric cars are going to change climate.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You mean that you entirely MISSED the Scientific Method video, a lecture by Feynman?  It was posted there, plain as day.

I watched the entire video. But I completely missed the part where "smart people are atheist", which is the title of your post.

At EXACTLY which minute mark does he say that?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It is ludicrous when claims are made about Greta Thunberg being brainwashed into belief in climate change, despite ample factual evidence for said belief.

No doubt some of the same deniers cheerfully send their children to religious instruction, with no supporting evidence.

I think it's ludicrous that adults let a child lecture them about anything. Just because she regurgitates whatever adults tell her doesn't make her any sort of expert.

If you have actual evidence that she is a genius and a member of mensa, please provide such.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Your statement is COMPLETELY FALSE!!!!!!

Bohr was a complete atheist!

Did you find this on Utube? 

But congratulations you are finally right about something.You know what they say about a broken clock being right twice a day? With great anticipation I await the second time. 

Indeed both the people I mentioned. were atheists .

Now they are very much dead.

In multitasking I copied from the wrong list. appologies to all of my fans .

Below for your viewing  pleasure, please enjoy a  partial list of of Christian Nobel winning Scientists.(I am afraid the list was too long),

So  With no uncertainty (pun intended) whatsoever, I can state that Heisenberg was Christian.

Please make sure to retract your false statement concerning the correlation between intelligence and religiosity or the lack thereof.  . With the included apology for spreading fake  news of course.

Yours Truly

an Atheist whose  intelligence has been questioned  more than once. 

image.png

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would point out Putin and the Russian Orthodox Church are working hand in glove to convince Russians the war in Ukraine is righteous.

Exactly my point. Religion can be used as the driving ideology of, or excuse for, a war, just as a secular ideology such as ethnic hatred or class hatred.

Both are capable of unspeakable evils. That is the power of ideology.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think it's ludicrous that adults let a child lecture them about anything. Just because she regurgitates whatever adults tell her doesn't make her any sort of expert.

If you have actual evidence that she is a genius and a member of mensa, please provide such.

She is a liar. No crisis. Temps have fallen since 2016.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please don't remind me.

Unfortunately for me , I was right twice in this thread.

If I was mart I would stop there.???? but again Unfortunately.................

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Two GG geniuses.

Galileo Galilei, and George Galloway.

One a Catholic, one persecuted by them.

One more...

I sailed on SS Galileo Galilei in 1976, from Durban, SA to Auckland, NZ

It sank in the Strait of Malacca (renamed Sun Vista) in 1999 (no casualties), near Penang.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

She is a liar. No crisis. Temps have fallen since 2016.

Unfortunately not in Thailand this year. March - May was the hottest ever, and the driest... not to mention really dirty air.

21 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Einstein's birthday, March 14

Steve Hawking died on March 14, 2018

Both died at age 76.

March 14 is rounded value of Pi = 3.14

Did you say they died at age 76?

How odd.

The periodicity of Halley's comet is only 75 years.

Twain lived 74 years.

Therefore, numerologically speaking, this is rather a coincidence.

Maybe there actually IS a god, after all.

• Love It 1

36 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

You are of course right and Ελεύθερος to your opinion.:tongue:

But the question is, or should be . Why were there more more religious people back then ,  And more Atheists now   ?

IMO it is that  back then they were not as free as we are now to express their true opinion.

We all know what happened to Socrates , who had trouble keeping his mouth shut. 

So Atheists were under-represented then. 

As I am sure now they are over-represented because, like registered politically independents , many Atheists , are  because they think it makes them sound intelligent. That's why they take every opportunity to tell people that they are atheists. 

Which is why I would never tell people I am an Atheist  I believe the fact that I am an Atheist is no ones business , My Atheism is  a personal matter , I always try to keep my Atheism to myself

Not to take any chances , in case you missed it I am an atheist ????

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Unfortunately not in Thailand this year. March - May was the hottest ever, and the driest... not to mention really dirty air.

Hottest ever is a lie. Most likely not the hottest ever as records are only 70 years old. So it was the hottest April in 70 years perhaps.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

No, you don't. In point of fact, atheists are fond of labeling agnostics as namby-pamby, and lacking strength of conviction. Effectively making atheism a religion of its own. All religions are a matter of belief, are they not?

I assume you have heard of Arthur C Clarke, a giant of science and science fiction. I recommend you read one of his many books, "Childhood's End", if you have not already. Although Clarke identified as an atheist, deism was a topic frequently visited in his novels.

An atheist is defined as either lacking belief or disbelieving in god. That does not absolutely dismiss the possibility of something.

So, by that definition, being an agnostic in comparison can seem a bit namby pamby .

But if someone says there is nil chance of a god then that might be too hard core and based on a kind of faith.  I lack belief and disbelieve the idea of some people's god but I don't say it is not at all possible. I think I can still be an atheist. 

In a sense agnosticsm could be a religion - the religion of keeping an openness to the idea of god based more on hope or conformity or politeness rather than logic or science. An atheist says they lack belief or do not believe but if science shows otherwise fair enough. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My pleasure.

Feynman is great.

Far better than counting sheep, and you can actually learn something before you nod off.

Thanks Gamma.

The only thing I learnt from the last one hour and 47 minutes of Feynman videos is how to waste one hour and 47 minutes.

Although I did find the second video a lot more interesting than the first.