Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

41 minutes ago, sirineou said:

You are of course right and Ελεύθερος to your opinion.:tongue:

But the question is, or should be . Why were there more more religious people back then ,  And more Atheists now   ?

IMO it is that  back then they were not as free as we are now to express their true opinion.

We all know what happened to Socrates , who had trouble keeping his mouth shut. 

So Atheists were under-represented then. 

As I am sure now they are over-represented because, like registered politically independents , many Atheists , are  because they think it makes them sound intelligent. That's why they take every opportunity to tell people that they are atheists. 

Which is why I would never tell people I am an Atheist  I believe the fact that I am an Atheist is no ones business , My Atheism is  a personal matter , I always try to keep my Atheism to myself

Not to take any chances , in case you missed it I am an atheist ????

Science now has discovered more complication of everything. Atheism has removd old thinking  "God" is a personality to explain mystery of existence. The mystery is still here.

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, one god did it all.

This obviously leaves the little question open where that god came from. But we don't want to go too much into details here.

We really don't need another god thread in this forum. 

You are god, so am I.

4 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

Science now has discovered more complication of everything. Atheism has removd old thinking  "God" is a personality to explain mystery of existence. The mystery is still here.

God of the gaps. 

Superstition resides in the gaps of our understanding . As those gaps are filled with new discoveries and understanding , so does god retreat in the remaining  gaps.

Depending on one's  definition, perhaps in the final gap we will find out that she was always there . Until then remain skeptical and adapt an agnostic posture. 

Based on the available evidence there is no indication of her existence, but since all the evidence is not in , or even a commonly held definition. who knows?

Certainly not me,:smile:

^^^^^^^

Has anyone noticed that among other afflictions ,religiosity seems to affect the frontal lobe where scientists , (some of them Christian), have concluded that Humor takes place. 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

IMO it is that  back then they were not as free as we are now to express their true opinion.

In all eras, there are taboos on certain forms of speech, depending on cultural norms and authorities.

Back then, you could not criticize religious authorities or the king, emperor, mogul. Thailand is still partly at that  stage.

In the West, the taboo against religious heterodoxy has largely gone, to be replaced with others, such as saying that you dislike people of a particular race, saying you believe homosexuality to be a sin, criticizing people who say they can turn themselves into the opposite sex, or into cats, or wolves.

We haven't got rid of our taboos, we have simply substituted new taboos in place of the old ones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

^^^^^^^

Has anyone noticed that among other afflictions ,religiosity seems to affect the frontal lobe where scientists , (some of them Christian), have concluded that Humor takes place. 

You call that crap humour? 555

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I can't be asked to read this dribble, 'cept to say Why is it Idiots  INVERABLY  turn out to believe in Mythical beings.

Especially That book, where a talking snake tells a lady not to eat an apple. 

Einstein did.

5 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

In all eras, there are taboos on certain forms of speech, depending on cultural norms and authorities.

Back then, you could not criticize religious authorities or the king, emperor, mogul. Thailand is still partly at that  stage.

In the West, the taboo against religious heterodoxy has largely gone, to be replaced with others, such as saying that you dislike people of a particular race, saying you believe homosexuality to be a sin, criticizing people who say they can turn themselves into the opposite sex, or into cats, or wolves.

We haven't got rid of our taboos, we have simply substituted new taboos in place of the old ones.

Nahh, same taboos different name:smile:

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

I've come to believe the common man needs religion to live a moral life. Western nations are falling apart and I think the wholesale rejection of religion by the upperclass has been a major factor.

Yes in a way. The world is falling apart. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wish it was true (the headline, I blocked the OP).

But evidently there are a lot of smart people who believe in god.

Watching interviews, mostly on YouTube, I am often surprised.

Jordan Peterson is a famous example.

Destin, the guy with the SmarterEveryDay YouTube channel, is another example. 

He is one that always surprises me, believing in god. I would have loved to see a debate between him and Christopher Hitchens. I think Hitchens would have eaten him alive.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I would be somewhat taken aback if you had never heard of Richard before this moment, but just in case you have been hiding under a rock, please refer to this short Wikipedia blurb:

I too have never heard of the Dick fellow, and am insulted that you suggest that I have been hiding under a rock.

I wonder how many people are in this World that YOU have never heard of.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

This list only covers Christian scientists. If you we include other religions, the list would grow much longer.

There aren't too many on that list born in the last 50 years.

I think it's ridiculous to say that all super smart people are atheists. However, if I were a betting man (which I am) and if there was any way of coming up with the real numbers (which there isn't) then I would lay a large stake on the fact that the vast majority of super smart people, who do not live in a territory where a fixed religion is almost compulsory (the USA only just escapes that label), absolutely do not believe in a religious god.

• Thumbs Up 1