PRESS RELEASE: End Frozen Pensions For British Ex-Pats In Thailand

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

This guy makes some interesting points on how to navigate around certain obstacles.

Some of the bits are interesting and useful but you NEED to be in a country with a reciprocal agreement.

Thailand is NOT one of those countries.

I think he is talking about a single person with no family attachments anywhere. For a family I think it may cost more in the long term than the gain you will get.

I have no idea of the cost of flights or accommodation but I think that if I could do that I would not make any extra money out of it.

A couple of things he did not mention were what happens to your family while you are away as they will also need money to live on. Also if you have more than one pension you will be paying extra tax at the basic rate of 20% on your extra income.

This is only my thoughts and opinion.

For some people it may work but again, IMHO for a lot of us it won't be worth it.

If it was that simple and that easy many people would already be doing it.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Some of the bits are interesting and useful but you NEED to be in a country with a reciprocal agreement.

Thailand is NOT one of those countries.

I think he is talking about a single person with no family attachments anywhere. For a family I think it may cost more in the long term than the gain you will get.

I have no idea of the cost of flights or accommodation but I think that if I could do that I would not make any extra money out of it.

A couple of things he did not mention were what happens to your family while you are away as they will also need money to live on. Also if you have more than one pension you will be paying extra tax at the basic rate of 20% on your extra income.

This is only my thoughts and opinion.

For some people it may work but again, IMHO for a lot of us it won't be worth it.

If it was that simple and that easy many people would already be doing it.

I need to study it in greater detail as I watched it a while ago and came away without a informed opinion one way or the other, it was just pie in the sky but I put it out there to see what other members thought of his ideas and to whether there was any merit in trying it out.

But thanks for your thoughts and feedback, appreciated. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

You were wrong on more than one point, not everyone is on £203.85. Many that got pensions under the pre 2016 arrangement will be receiving a good bit more than that with some over £300 a week.

Sorry, I thought it was clear "I missed out", and qualified it. And I was referring to people who legally state to HMRC they are living in Thailand.

Edited by samtam

4 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

£203 x 52 weeks its £10,500

Replied already, as below:

On 7/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, BritManToo said:

203.85 x 52 = 10,600 GBP

On 7/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

UK state pensions are paid weekly/4-weekly, not monthly.  £203.85 x 52 = £10,600.20. 

I stand corrected. [But as a non resident whose 66th birthday was on 31 March 2023, I missed out on the 203.85 and will now forever get the 185.15 per week, or 9,627.80 pa.]

Still, based on my miscalculation (8887.20), I now realise I get 9,627.80✔️, so that's nice. 10,600.20 would have been nicer, but so far the rise in GBP to THB has improved it.

Edited by samtam

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Can't avoid IT by living abroad, can you?

It's a bit more than just living abroad.  One needs to intend to stay in the foreign country for the rest of one's life and cut ties to the UK.  Google "domicile of choice" for more info..

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

It's a bit more than just living abroad.  One needs to intend to stay in the foreign country for the rest of one's life and cut ties to the UK.  Google "domicile of choice" for more info..

Interesting, thanks.

Maybe, with becoming a Thai citizen, I can avoid paying this tax in the UK.

13 hours ago, samtam said:

Sorry, I thought it was clear "I missed out", and qualified it. And I was referring to people who legally state to HMRC they are living in Thailand.

I don't know what you are trying to say. Your original post tried to imply an annual state pension based on £203.85/week.

There is no common amount and for many older people the pension can be much higher.  I have known people that paid a phenominal amount of SERPS and when they retired at 65 would have drawn a state pension a great deal higher than the amount introduced in 2016.

My comment was directed at your assumption rather than where anyone lived.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 6:25 AM, billd766 said:

There are NO dedicated MPs for pensioners who are affected by this. There are NO votes in it for any MP, so why would they vote to spend even more of the taxpayers money to increase our pensions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaries_of_members_of_the_United_Kingdom_Parliament#:~:text=MPs normally receive a pension,accrual rate of 1%2F40th.

Basic salary
The basic annual salary of an MP in the House of Commons is £86,584.[1] That is more than 10 times my annual frozen pension rate.

Pension
MPs normally receive a pension of either 1/40th or 1/50th of their final pensionable salary for each year of pensionable service depending on the contribution rate they chose. Members who made contributions of 13.75% of their salary gain an accrual rate of 1/40th.[24]

If an MP stands down during the course of a Parliament due to ill health, an ill health retirement grant is payable, calculated in the same way as the Resettlement Grant (as well as an immediate pension based on the service the MP would have accrued if they had continued to serve until age 65).

There is a lot more information in the link including 

Resettlement Grant

Winding-up Allowance

Office expenses

Housing, second home, and travel

And last year Nadine Dorries claimed 161,234 pounds in expenses.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In a nutshell it is a "yes and no" situation, with the government favouring the yes position.

The problem stems from the fact that the legislation to uprate state pensions is embedded in the Social Security Act. The government can if it chooses override that legislation as they were prepared to do with brexit, I indicated that in a previous post.

Every year the Social Security Act gets changed as benefits change. When the Act comes before the House, as the government control business in the House they will only allow time to debate the changes they propose, no time is allowed to debate any other aspect.

Over the years some politicians, two that come to mind are Jeremy Corbyn and Ian Blackford, have tried to introduce debate on frozen pensions but it has always been blocked by the government.

Until the legislation is removed from the Social Security Act the government will use recipricol agreements on social security to defend their policy. 

Thanks for that BUT it still doesn't answer my question of WHY the Govt. needs any other country's permission to pay its own citizens whatever they like?!!!    I understand the UK blocks pension increases for most of its foreign based nationals but this 'reciprocity' nonsense is just an excuse.    If the UK Govt. wanted to pay it's nationals 1,000GBP per month, it could do, without any other country's permission - couldn't it???

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 10:41 AM, simon43 said:

P*ssing in the wind!  You have more chance if you lobbied the Thai government to implement a reciprocal agreement with the UK, as did The Philippines.

You would still need the UK Government to agree to reciprocate with Thai pensioners living in the UK.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I don't know what you are trying to say. Your original post tried to imply an annual state pension based on £203.85/week.

There is no common amount and for many older people the pension can be much higher.  I have known people that paid a phenominal amount of SERPS and when they retired at 65 would have drawn a state pension a great deal higher than the amount introduced in 2016.

My comment was directed at your assumption rather than where anyone lived.

I was talking about my own case. "I" refers to me.

My comment about my circumstances referred to where I live, and that I told HMRC and DWP that I reside in Thailand. The OP is about British expats living in Thailand and being paid their state pensions.

Edited by samtam

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I pay tax in the UK, I have no right to live in any other country, so as far as I'm concerned I live in the UK.

So long as HMRC agree that you're a UK resident, then you are acting correctly. They make and interpret the rules, we follow them, (or not as the case may be, reading a number of posts in this thread). 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 1:39 PM, bkk6060 said:

Wow, a USA govt pension max is around $4500 now.

The UK around $1,000?

How sad, anyone ever inquire what they have done with all the money?

The facts is , there is no pension pot but there is a pension fund which is diminishing year on year and whilst now it is the National Insurance Contributions that pay out the pensions ,  the fund will be unable to do so alone by next year and then the income tax revenue will have to be dipped into . The state O.A.P. is financed by those who are currently employed . 

There is a calculation that the under 35s will not see a state UK pension because it may be scrapped . The under 45s will face a tax hike and a delayed retirement age .

Indeed the UK state pension is frugal when compared with many other countries e.g. Switzerland which has a top pay out of 2450 Swiss Francs a month or 2190 UK pounds a month for a single person or 3675 Swiss francs (3287 pounds ) per married couple . 

It would appear that the UK pension scheme is poorly crafted and needs to be overhauled . The only sensible way is to set up a reliable private pension that has no restrictions such as getting frozen because you opt to spend your retirement in warmer climates .  The frozen pension saga will never be amended because of the costs involved , no matter which party is in power . 

1 hour ago, Greenhill said:

Thanks for that BUT it still doesn't answer my question of WHY the Govt. needs any other country's permission to pay its own citizens whatever they like?!!!    I understand the UK blocks pension increases for most of its foreign based nationals but this 'reciprocity' nonsense is just an excuse.    If the UK Govt. wanted to pay it's nationals 1,000GBP per month, it could do, without any other country's permission - couldn't it???

You are correct that the UK does not need to have another states permission.

However the UKs position is the uprating as a general rule is not exportable outside the UK.

In addition over the years the UK have entered into agreements with other states on Social Security provisions. These agreements can  require that the uprating is to be applied.

21 hours ago, 747man said:

There are no illegal immigrants in the UK. Certainly not enough costing the government 7 million pounds per day, anyway........Yer Havin' A Giraffe There My Friend......WHY Do MOST of them enter Via a Rubber Dinghy Then ?? After Paying Traffickers up to 40,000 GBP !!! Not as IF The Can't Apply for Visas & Enter LEGALLY Is it ??

Claiming asylum is not illegal.

If a claim is accepted, they are a legal immigrant.

If a claim is rejected, they are returned to their home country.

Therefore the people coming on the boats are never illegal immigrants.

If the UK chooses not to bother processing claims, then so be it. They therefore have to pay to 'house" them instead. And they publish the huge figures on how much all this costs, precisely to make people like you angry. Just have a go at doing something positive and channel your anger at the people who really deserve it.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, superal said:

. No wonder there is anger when a UK tax payer all of his life is treated so poorly and illegal entrants are given all they need for free .

Yes it must be such a fantastic life fleeing half way across the continent from war or persecution to then be stuck in a "hotel" (and I can guarantee you that word doesn't mean what you think it does), boat or tent for months and months complety unable to function as part of any kind of society.

The anger the tax payer feels should be directed to the government who are letting the backlog pile up.

Just try to think logically for a few minutes.... If the government processed the claims then they could send failed applications back, thus not needing to "house" them. And the successful applicants could be making themselves useful by filling some of the thousands of low-wage jobs that are currently going un-filled. Thus creating taxable income, and bolstering the economy.

No wonder there is anger

And so there should be. But do your research, apply some basic logic, and channel the anger where it belongs; rather than where the Daily Mail tell you it should be focused.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, superal said:

Blaming the gov; for the backlog of unannounced illegal entrants ? you having a laugh . You say " stuck in a hotel " where they are fed , clothed and bedded like they have never had before and then they complain about the poor internet ,

You are talking bull locks. There's no point debating with you on this matter.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Greenhill said:

It is not a question of permission from another country, A section of the UK Social Security Act gives the government permission to pay the increases and if said Act does not apply in the country concerned then there is no increase.

There is a reciprocal agreement in place with Canada but they do not get the increases. When the agreement was made a Canadian pension could not be exported so the increases were not allowed in Canada. Since then the Canadian government have changed the rules and Canadian pensions can be exported but the UK government have refused to amend the agreement.  

If the piece of  legislation in question were to be removed from the Social Security Act and recreated as stand alone legislation there wouldn't be a problem

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, superal said:

The facts is , there is no pension pot but there is a pension fund which is diminishing year on year and whilst now it is the National Insurance Contributions that pay out the pensions ,  the fund will be unable to do so alone by next year and then the income tax revenue will have to be dipped into .

The fund is no longer used, It reached the level that it cannot fall below a long time ago. For many years approx 12% of income tax has been used to meet the state pension liability as there has been insufficient NI contributions.

From day one the UK state pension has been a pay as you go arrangement, the workers of day pay the pensioners of the day.

You can only hope that when your turn comes there is enough workers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, p414 said:

THE Court of Human Rights ruled a long time ago that the British state pension is 'A government benefit'..

I believe it was that little rat George Osborne who initiated  the change of the state pension from an entitlement to a benefit.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

The fund is no longer used, It reached the level that it cannot fall below a long time ago. For many years approx 12% of income tax has been used to meet the state pension liability as there has been insufficient NI contributions.

From day one the UK state pension has been a pay as you go arrangement, the workers of day pay the pensioners of the day.

You can only hope that when your turn comes there is enough workers.

Thanks . I just checked my statement that said N.I.C.s were the main fund provision for the UK state pension but income taxes will be used soon as there were not enough people working to support the fund . I was correct , however I failed to notice that the article I quoted from was published in October 2014 . So your up to date info applies . Thanks for the correction . 

• Like 2