Long holiday sees spike in road accidents, authorities urge caution

webfact

358083541_302641762149057_6039712059017140085_n.jpg

During the initial day of Thailand’s extended holiday period, the Royal Thai Police (RTP) reported nearly 2,000 people were injured in road accidents, with 22 fatalities recorded.

The information was announced yesterday by Deputy National Police Chief and Commander of RTP’s Traffic Police Operation Centre, General Roy Ingkapairote. He indicated a sharp increase in traffic offences due to an influx of road traffic from towns and cities to the provinces, which occurs annually during the long holiday weekend. This year that weekend stretches from July 28 to August 2.

According to Gen. Roy, July 28 alone had 1,871 injuries and 22 deaths with the majority of incidents attributed to speeding, closely followed by drowsiness, abrupt lane changes, and overtaking other vehicles dangerously.

He further appealed to drivers to ensure that their vehicle is in good condition and they are knowledgeable about their road route to prevent accidents during increased holiday traffic.

by Mitch Connor 

TOP: Holiday road traffic brings spike in accidents, increased public transport. (via ท้องทุ่ง บ้านนา Facebook)
Picture courtesy of ท้องทุ่ง บ้านนา Facebook

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Heartbreaking to see these statistics time and time again.

It's not just the deaths, it's all the affected family and friends of the victims.

Come on Thailand, surely it is time to address this.

Proper training, real punishment for drink driving, dangerous driving and a police force that gives a damn about the laws.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BugJackBaron said:

Totally  self driving AI assisted vehicles will bring safety  in about 30 years time.

I guess motorcycles would have to have been replaced by then too......

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

Aren't there always fewer deaths on the roads during long holidays than on other days. I thought that the normal average was about 40 - 50 a day. Congestion saves lives.

Exactly. OP headline is completely wrong.

WHO numbers - 2016 is their most recent easily accessible year - showed 22,491 deaths, or average 61.6/day. Around 80 percent motorcycles.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

According to Gen. Roy, July 28 alone had 1,871 injuries and 22 deaths with the majority of incidents attributed to speeding, closely followed by drowsiness, abrupt lane changes, and overtaking other vehicles dangerously.

Wot ?

No drunk drivers

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

nothing will ever change here until a stiffer "driving test" (which is a joke)is implemented!!!!!

There was some talk a couple of years ago about setting-up driving test centres in all provinces.  My thoughts at the time was, "Who is going to train the examiners!".

I constantly see brake lights flashing in front of me; obviously because the driver has a foot resting on the brake pedal.  I doubt any of these drivers were trained by a test examiner; but then, this is Thailand!

7 hours ago, Moti24 said:

There was some talk a couple of years ago about setting-up driving test centres in all provinces.  My thoughts at the time was, "Who is going to train the examiners!".

I constantly see brake lights flashing in front of me; obviously because the driver has a foot resting on the brake pedal.  I doubt any of these drivers were trained by a test examiner; but then, this is Thailand!

agree with you........there are NO GOOD QUALIFIED EXAMINERS  i will ask you "why do they indicate to go round a left or right hand bend, whe they are on the main road ......same with curves .........

Edited by blackshadow
WRONG SPELLING

I know what to do, setup a few committees to examine the cause, have them meet at the most expensive hotels, and dine like kings and queens. In a few months the committee will run out of money, and the problem will be forgotten, rinse and repeat.

15 hours ago, blackshadow said:

agree with you........there are NO GOOD QUALIFIED EXAMINERS  i will ask you "why do they indicate to go round a left or right hand bend, whe they are on the main road ......same with curves .........

I could write a book about Thais' driving habits, but it would take me too long to finish it.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:36 PM, BugJackBaron said:

Totally  self driving AI assisted vehicles will bring safety  in about 30 years time.

Yup. Why would anybody bother getting out of bed in 30 years time.

Sounds like a real hoot.

Luckily I will have departed this mortal coil.????????

On 7/31/2023 at 9:27 AM, blackshadow said:

nothing will ever change here until a stiffer "driving test" (which is a joke)is implemented!!!!!

That will not achieve anything, as soon as they pass the test they will drive how they want without fear of punishment. 

• Like 1