Restaurant owner confronts negative reviewer at their home

snoop1130

From the link:

Tum further asserted that the customer is entitled to review the restaurant, denying she intended to stifle dissent. She was merely pleading for fair treatment. Emphasising that no charges would be pressed against the customer, Tum revealed that an offer to compensate the customer has been made, but the customer who left the negative review hasn’t responded to the offer yet.

So the restaurant believed they were correct yet offered a reward to remove or take-back the comment?

Hmmm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, stoner said:

tum should just accept that some people may not like her food or her service. such is their right. 

welcome to the wonderful world of running a business tum. 

I Think this all comes down to false advertising. 

1 hour ago, Zack61 said:

Was it not Koh Chang??

I think that was more to do with the amount of time the person spent posting negative comments on the review page. It went on for weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Card said:

The restaurant owner has no right to visit the customers home without permission, for whatever the reason. It is harassment.

Is it?

I would think that if the owner comes to the address and rings the bell at that address without entering private property that is not illegal.

Maybe I play devil's advocate here. But if I would do a good job and then I would receive a bad review which effects my business and income then I would also try to rectify the situation. Sometimes the customer is not right.

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Card said:

The restaurant owner has no right to visit the customers home without permission, for whatever the reason. It is harassment.

Basically this is not the Thai. Usually Thais don't complain out loud, they just don't return.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Basically this is not the Thai. Usually Thais don't complain out loud, they just don't return.

That should be the policy for other countries too .

The internet has created a monster regarding reviews which is not helpful .

Impossible to please all people and if i see there are 100 percent positive reviews I become suspicious .

• Confused 2

Where I come from reviews are part of everyday life. If you offer a substandard product, or an ultra small portion as a restaurant, people are going to talk. Your business will not suffer from one bad review. Something here smells fishy. Perhaps an immature owner with a very fragile ego? 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

20 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Nothing to about cooking or the food itself. It is about the size of the portion. To the Left is the advertised portion, the right is the actual portion that was received.851554074_-2023-07-31-152705.jpg.382f381f18c73b041fc90861af8f02c3.jpg

But is it true?

Maybe it is, I don't know.

But it could be that someone took half out and then took a picture and posted it.

It's not that I say that is what happened. But it's a possibility.

It seems to me that now someone posts something online and if the story sounds good then lots of people like it and republish it, etc. But how many people know the truth? And how many people care about the truth? 

You either give them a good review or just don't comment at all. That's how they want it to be. Even creative criticism won't do. Unless you ended up in the hospital because of their food, then you have no rights at all. Growing up in Thailand, I realized early on that it's better just to avoid conflicts with them because they can create drama that will take all of you in hell haha. Don't get me wrong though, I get along well with the Thais, they consider me as one of them, but it's all because I learned their A-Zs as a kid. 

25 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Your business will not suffer from one bad review. Something here smells fishy. Perhaps an immature owner with a very fragile ego? 

Exactly. If I look at reviews I look at several, many. If there is one bad review and 10 good ones then that tells me what I want to know. Why did the owner get so upset over one negative review that she made time and effort to track down where the customer lives and then go and challenge them? Why does the owner blame losing customers (as she claims) on one review? Any proof of that?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Nothing to about cooking or the food itself. It is about the size of the portion. To the Left is the advertised portion, the right is the actual portion that was received.851554074_-2023-07-31-152705.jpg.382f381f18c73b041fc90861af8f02c3.jpg

Maybe if he took the ones on his shoulder he could have the full portion!

43 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

From the article

"Emphasising that no charges would be pressed against the customer"

Well that says it all?????

Quite so, Why did she even mention that? But in Thailand you know its a chance you take if you do post a bad review?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ginner said:

The portions certainly 'look' different, but they would need to be weighed to get a fair comparison?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The whole point of this thread is that someone did complain. Maybe you misunderstood the report.

I completely understood the article,  my statement was just indicating that 99.9% of the time Thai's don't complain hence nothing will get fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Where I come from reviews are part of everyday life. If you offer a substandard product, or an ultra small portion as a restaurant, people are going to talk. Your business will not suffer from one bad review. Something here smells fishy. Perhaps an immature owner with a very fragile ego? 

Thai guy...?

????

50 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I completely understood the article,  my statement was just indicating that 99.9% of the time Thai's don't complain hence nothing will get fixed.

I got my wife out of that habit very early. We were trying to have a coffee at Silom Complex in Bangkok and could see our drinks on the counter getting cold while the waitress stood there talking with other staff. So my wife went to them, told them we were not having the coffees and why and we left. I doubt that they cared, though.

• Thumbs Up 1