Does Your 20-Year Refrigerator Warranty Keep You UP at Night?

On 8/1/2023 at 3:53 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

My Dearest Fellow-Mortals of The Pub-Forum,

Earlier this year, I decided to buy a second refrigerator so that I would have one refrigerator for the kitchen, and another refrigerator for my “office-computer-internet-conference–breakfast-lunch-and-dinner-at-my-desk-room”.

The first refrigerator, bought several years ago, is protected by a 10-year warranty. I can sleep easy with the 10-year refrigerator-compressor warranty…And I have had no sleepless nights following this purchase.

This past March, I did some research before buying a second 500-liter fridge-with-freezer for my office. After delivery, I waited 24 hours before plugging it in, and it seemed to be working fine. I even bought a freezer thermometer which told me that the freezer compartment stayed below negative-25 degrees C, which is what I require.

Realizing that I seemed to have made a good purchase, and after filling up the freezer with many kilograms of chicken breasts, and several silicone ice trays, I began to feel proud of myself for being such a savvy consumer.

However, my good refrigerator vibes were not to last long.

After a few days, I began dwelling upon the fact that the salesman had talked me into buying a refrigerator with a 20-year warranty. This 20-year compressor warranty had not bothered me much while at the home appliance showroom…

However, after about a month, sometime around the end of April, I began feeling uneasy at night. I did not have any night sweats or anything, just a feeling that something was not completely right with the fridge.

It took me until about June before I realized what the matter was…and why I felt so unsettled.

This salesman had knowingly sold me a 20-year warranty when he obviously must have also known that I would never live long enough to ensure he and his company would live up to the terms of the warranty contract.

I mean, what will happen if the compressor fails in 18 or 19 years? If I am not around, will anyone force the company to replace the compressor? And how can I be sure? This is my main worry.

But also, this past month, as I tossed and turned, often losing sleep at night, I have worried that my refrigerator compressor might perversely decide to outlive me. I have heard of refrigerators that can even last 30 years, or more.

And then I begin to think: Well, what if I DO outlive the refrigerator? In this case, 20 years from now…Then what?  Because, twenty-years hence, wouldn’t I be faced with this same problem all over again?

image.png.b4aaef019a6192847ba4d91345360f45.png

You know what I mean?

Do you, too, wrestle with similar thoughts in the still, wee hours, waiting for the sunrise?

Best regards,

With so much to think about,

And not enough time,

Gamma

My Opinion:  The New Yorker is no longer what it once was when Cheever was alive.

image.png.1f85865131ad8bb00d492757888350ba.png

You desparately need to get a different hobby.

2 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Simplicity. I wear my Casio Edifice solar-powered on my left wrist. My carry my phone is in my left back pants pocket. If I want to check the time it's easier and quicker too just look at my watch on my wrist, than taking my phone out of my pocket and powering up the screen to read the time. 

How clever.

I just got lucky I guess because I have used a watch to tell time for the last 60 years and have never turned on my phone to get the time. Again, pure luck because my phone stays on my dresser most of the time and I keep my back pockets clean.

I even remember when watches didn't need batteries. Just think of that!

After a few days, I began dwelling upon the fact that the salesman had talked me into buying a refrigerator with a 20-year warranty. This 20-year compressor warranty had not bothered me much while at the home appliance showroom…

If I give you half of what you paid for the 20 year warranty , do you promise to die in 10 years? and if you don't die in 10 years  ,can I come over and  kill you ?

On 8/1/2023 at 4:37 AM, Lacessit said:

I lie awake at night wondering what nutty new tangential thread the OP will compose.

I remember not so fondly a refrigerator I was married to.

Brilliant reply to a stupid OP, as usual.

My Dearest Fellow-Mortals of The Pub-Forum,

Earlier this year, I decided to buy a second refrigerator so that I would have one refrigerator for the kitchen, and another refrigerator for my “office-computer-internet-conference–breakfast-lunch-and-dinner-at-my-desk-room”.

The first refrigerator, bought several years ago, is protected by a 10-year warranty. I can sleep easy with the 10-year refrigerator-compressor warranty…And I have had no sleepless nights following this purchase.

This past March, I did some research before buying a second 500-liter fridge-with-freezer for my office. After delivery, I waited 24 hours before plugging it in, and it seemed to be working fine. I even bought a freezer thermometer which told me that the freezer compartment stayed below negative-25 degrees C, which is what I require.

Realizing that I seemed to have made a good purchase, and after filling up the freezer with many kilograms of chicken breasts, and several silicone ice trays, I began to feel proud of myself for being such a savvy consumer.

However, my good refrigerator vibes were not to last long.

However, after about a month, sometime around the end of April, I began feeling uneasy at night. I did not have any night sweats or anything, just a feeling that something was not completely right with the fridge.

It took me until about June before I realized what the matter was…and why I felt so unsettled.

This salesman had knowingly sold me a 20-year warranty when he obviously must have also known that I would never live long enough to ensure he and his company would live up to the terms of the warranty contract.

I mean, what will happen if the compressor fails in 18 or 19 years? If I am not around, will anyone force the company to replace the compressor? And how can I be sure? This is my main worry.

But also, this past month, as I tossed and turned, often losing sleep at night, I have worried that my refrigerator compressor might perversely decide to outlive me. I have heard of refrigerators that can even last 30 years, or more.

And then I begin to think: Well, what if I DO outlive the refrigerator? In this case, 20 years from now…Then what?  Because, twenty-years hence, wouldn’t I be faced with this same problem all over again?

image.png.b4aaef019a6192847ba4d91345360f45.png

You know what I mean?

Do you, too, wrestle with similar thoughts in the still, wee hours, waiting for the sunrise?

Best regards,

With so much to think about,

And not enough time,

Gamma

My Opinion:  The New Yorker is no longer what it once was when Cheever was alive.

image.png.1f85865131ad8bb00d492757888350ba.png

\your life must be very boring, if you spend so much time worrying about frig warranty..omg.. 

Are you realy serious about this.... 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:57 PM, flyingtlger said:

You're thinking way too much...

think about things that really doesnt matter. There is more important things to get a grip on, than if, what, or when when you are not in controll of those matters. 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:35 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

And now, I am thinking of The New Yorker, and Cheever's Swimmer.

I cannot help but feel that Cheever might have worried about refrigerators, too, in the wee hours, when he was alive.

image.png.b7ae10757f2599eb276817e58dbf3927.png

The story is here, and for free: 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1964/07/18/the-swimmer

There is a brilliant method to stop thoughts thats worrying you. Basically you imagine you are travelling, and follow a story and trail you know very well. It is a pleasant distraction from you thoughts when going to bed, or wake up in the night. 

Good luck 

Edited by Hummin

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You are so time-poor you need to do that?

My grandmother bought me my first watch with a Roy Rogers dial, when I was 7 years old. I've worn one most of my life.

I never owned a mobile phone before I came to Thailand. Never had the need for one in my work or day to day life. I had a landline at in my home with caller ID, if someone I wanted to talk too called.

My life has never centered around me needing to be available 24/7, so someone can talk to me. The main reason I have a mobile phone now, is if I'm out and about the wife and I can stay in touch.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

My grandmother bought me my first watch with a Roy Rogers dial, when I was 7 years old. I've worn one most of my life.

I never owned a mobile phone before I came to Thailand. Never had the need for one in my work or day to day life. I had a landline at in my home with caller ID, if someone I wanted to talk too called.

My life has never centered around me needing to be available 24/7, so someone can talk to me. The main reason I have a mobile phone now, is if I'm out and about the wife and I can stay in touch.

I stopped wearing watches as soon as I had a mobile phone small enough to fit in my pocket. Landlines have gone the way of bustles and buggy whips for most individuals.

You may be right, watches don't get calls from scammers. Having said that, a smartphone is a far more versatile and functional device than a watch. I have about 600 books and 1000 music files on my mobile. Calculator, calendar, voice recorder, internet-capable, translator - enough said.

In 1981 or 1982, I bought a used refrigerator in the United States.  I think it was a Westinghouse brand.  It was $5.00, a real steal I thought!  The seller was only interested in getting it out of the house.

In 1984 I sold it for $50.00!   I was very pleased with the profit.  As I was cleaning the refrigerator before the new owner came to pick it up, I was astonished to find a manufacturing date of 1947.   

Darn refrigerator was 2 years older than I was!  The compressor worked fine.

Edited by radiochaser

On 8/3/2023 at 2:38 AM, Lacessit said:

I stopped wearing watches as soon as I had a mobile phone small enough to fit in my pocket. Landlines have gone the way of bustles and buggy whips for most individuals.

You may be right, watches don't get calls from scammers. Having said that, a smartphone is a far more versatile and functional device than a watch. I have about 600 books and 1000 music files on my mobile. Calculator, calendar, voice recorder, internet-capable, translator - enough said.

I have been wearing a watch for more than 60 years.  

My cell phone is too big to wear on my wrist and a pain to dig out of my zippered pants pocket just to see what time it is.

Edited by radiochaser

On 8/2/2023 at 7:55 PM, HandsomeTallFarang said:

For FOOKS sake, STOP boomer-posting

You can quote more than one post in your replies, and reply to each quote with ONE post. You don't need to reply to EACH QUOTE with a separate reply, so that you're posting 3, 4 replies in a row stinking up the forum with your technological illiteracy. ????

But does the boomer poster know how to quote multiple posts?

If not, why not educate them?

There is always a learning curve. 

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

I have been wearing a watch for more than 60 years.  

My cell phone is too big to wear on my wrist and a pain to dig out of my zippered pants pocket just to see what time it is.

If you put your phone in your shirt pocket, as I do, you would find it takes the same amount of time to access it as it does to lift your wrist to eye level.

On 8/5/2023 at 1:15 PM, Lacessit said:

If you put your phone in your shirt pocket, as I do, you would find it takes the same amount of time to access it as it does to lift your wrist to eye level.

I don't need to lift my wrist up to eye level. I look down to my wrist.  I look down at my wrist and can see the 1/4 inch size numbers displayed or see the hands pointing to numbers.   

It is still quicker than getting a cell phone out of a shirt pocket, orient the cell phone so that it is up right with the face towards my eyes, then pushing a hard button to light up the screen (no password), and then sometimes having to touch the soft button at the bottom of the screen to bring the screen back to home screen, so that I can see the larger time display, as the time displayed in the upper left corner is usually too small to see without, actually, having to move it around until it comes into focus with my glasses (I'm farsighted with variable focus lenses in my glasses).

Having a watch is quicker.   Having only used cell phones since 2001, that had clock displays, I have found a wrist watch is always a quicker and more convenient way to find the time.  Unless I have a clock that is displaying the time within eyeshot.  Which I do, in the home, in my truck, in my workshop, and when I was gainfully employed and had need to log times for work (sometimes a real pain in the tout) we had clocks on landline phones, hanging on the wall, installed in the equipment panels, in the mobile DF cars, at communication intercept sites, etc..   

Now retired and having clocks everywhere at home, is why I take my watch off frequently when I am at home. 

On 8/1/2023 at 5:17 AM, nglodnig said:

Seriously, is there any way you could SHUT THE FORK UP? Please!

Go to "blogger.com", create a page and you can spout all this nonsensical BS and get it off your chest.

Without inflicting it on us.

It's really good therapy - it's almost like talking to a real person (but then you wouldn't know the difference anyway ???? )

His threads create traffic.

Traffic for the forum = $$$.

He is paid to generate traffic.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:42 AM, bbbbooboo said:

Here’s one to think about. When you close the refridgerator door how do you know the internal light goes out? It might not and be wasting all that electricity? It would pay to check

Hmmmm?   Put a cell phone on video record, put into fridge, close door.  open door, look at video?

4 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I don't need to lift my wrist up to eye level. I look down to my wrist.  I look down at my wrist and can see the 1/4 inch size numbers displayed or see the hands pointing to numbers.   

image.png.77acf0458f0894f78fc9bcbf4e8e77cb.png

Good!

Do as I do!

Not as He says!

I no problem with refrigerator warranty. Only breadmaker instruction. All  Chinese and translation make a next problem ! Now is stored on top of refridgerator . I buy that second from Farang who need to pay Agent to stay 12 month more. I think Agent eat well but farang no !

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

His threads create traffic.

Traffic for the forum = $$$.

He is paid to generate traffic.

Yes!

They all throw peanuts at me.

I am paid in peanuts.

And, being paid in peanuts is FAR more than I deserve.

Far more.....indeed!

When I have collected enough peanuts, I shall use my blender to make half a jar of peanut butter, maybe...

Edited by GammaGlobulin