Thai tourism seeks visa fee waiver to attract Chinese and Indian visitors

webfact

Given the amount of Chinese associated crime in Thailand why wouldn't you screen them prior to allowing them into the country. 

I wonder what happened to the quest for "high end" tourists and big spenders for Thailand???

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A plea for the revival of a visa fee waiver programme has been issued by Thailand‘s tourism industry, seeking an influx of visitors from populous nations like China and India. The request follows a lukewarm recovery in numerous essential markets and is viewed as vital for enhancing arrivals this year.

President of the Thai Hotels Association, Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi, placed emphasis on targeting countries with vast populations such as China and India. This is due to tourists primarily residing in destinations like Bangkok, Pattaya, and Phuket. The need to consider budget travellers and large tour groups became evident despite high-spending tourists bolstering Thailand’s tourism statistics.

“Whilst Thailand is currently receiving a greater number of high-spending tourists, it’s important to recognise the reliance many hotels have on budget travellers and big tour groups,” stated Marisa.

India, having recently exceeded China as the world’s most densely populated nation, provides a compelling opportunity for Thailand. With the growth in its workforce, enticing more Indian tourists and inspiring them to explore beyond major city destinations is a strong possibility, reported Bangkok Post.

According to Marisa, a variety of sectors could prove beneficial to hotel businesses of all sizes, given how Indian travellers visit for diverse reasons. From adventure-seeking tourists to wedding groups to those in pursuit of health and wellness services, the Indian tourist demographic is remarkably varied.

by Alex Morgan

Picture courtesy of Evan Krause, Unsplash

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-tourism-seeks-visa-fee-waiver-to-attract-chinese-and-indian-visitors

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

There are already by far too many of them now, why making it even worse ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

What about that 300 baht tourist tax they were planning on charging? ????

Charge these suckers 3.ooo upon arrival, and even this will not keep them away

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 747man said:

Isn't THAT Classed as DISCRIMINATION ??

Discrimination ???????????? no equivalent word in the Thai dictionary. Biggest racist on the planet, didn't you know Thailand is the centre of the Universe. And everyone wants to live there ????????????????

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I watched some reports on YouTube recently saying that Spain is currently pretty expensive, esp. the hotels.

Some great package deals available from the UK. Flights are under 10,000 Baht. So you've got a pretty big saving as soon as you step off the plane. Not to mention the convenience of a 2-3 hour flight instead of 12 hours. 

5 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Evisa is available for Bali. I arrived last month and paid on arrival. No queue. Having said that the queue for immigration was horrible and extending the visa took two weeks and requires three trips to immigration if an agent is not used

But did you have a thousand ( slight exaggeration) taxi drivers shouting and touting you at arrivals ? Ugly beaches, invasion by the nation I won’t name , humidity, heavy rains , it’s not the Bali I knew ! The Balinese though are a pleasure , kind , helpful and mostly honest IMO.

Also speak very good English. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

India, having recently exceeded China as the world’s most densely populated nation,

If India had the same population density as SIngapore, it would have over 27 billion people. If it matched Monaco, it would have 56.8 billion, so we can conclude that it is nowhere near the world's most densely populated nation. In reality, it is the 19th most densely populated and China is the 62nd.

30 minutes ago, geisha said:

But did you have a thousand ( slight exaggeration) taxi drivers shouting and touting you at arrivals ? Ugly beaches, invasion by the nation I won’t name , humidity, heavy rains , it’s not the Bali I knew ! The Balinese though are a pleasure , kind , helpful and mostly honest IMO.

Also speak very good English. 

A little harsh, I get someone I know to pick me up from the airport otherwise the taxi system can be a bit of a zoo. Bogan Australis is a pest in some parts ????. Not seen any draft dodgers here in Sanur. From May to August the weather is lovely. Low humidity and almost no rain. I will move on early September

Edited by Greenwich Boy

Visa waiver fee for Chinese and Indian tourists, but everybody else may have to pay 300 baht tourist tax (I read fairly recently)

Does that come under the banner of "Racism" or "Discrimination" or both?

Edited by sambum

22 hours ago, webfact said:

India, having recently exceeded China as the world’s most densely populated nation

Neither are anywhere near being the “most densely populated nation”…

Anyway, another unoriginal, knee-jerk and short-term fix idea from the Tourism association. 
I assume COVID has seen some “restructuring” in the tourism industry, let’s hope they rebuild in a more sustainable and targeted manner.

Apart from the above, any proposed visa fee savings would soon be eaten up by the increased National Park fees for foreign tourists anyway. Perhaps a better strategy would see a consistent approach on fees across ministries…..:whistling:

A big part of Thailand's bossiness is tourism. Why would Thailand place roadblocks on tourism from some of it's bigger sources ? If tourists from many western countries can come here visa exempt, what are the dangers from people from India or China? And is there are some dangers , do they outweigh the benefits?  

Edited by sirineou

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

or the CCP decide they want people to holiday domestically

This is, direct/indirect, already happening. And if Chinese citizens want to go abroad they have to book everything in their home country and spend as less as possible at their holiday destination. The CCP want to keep the money in their own country. Next to that is that poverty in China is rapidly growing. So i wouldnt count on the Chinese to much anymore,

7 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Visa waiver programs should be good for all nationalities.  

Not all nationalities because some nationalities will use it for illegal immigration. Each country needs to consider the benefits and dangers .

If let's say Thais could travel to the US visa exempt, half the country will leave in a minute, and most of them will not come back. Same thing applies to ssssome countries traveling to Thailand visa exempt. Thailand would be full of people from some poorer countries here on overstay. 

15 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Discrimination ???????????? no equivalent word in the Thai dictionary. Biggest racist on the planet, didn't you know Thailand is the centre of the Universe. And everyone wants to live there ????????????????

It's true that there a huge demand for people to live in Thailand. How many people travel 10,000 miles to find their brides? How many flee their homeland to seek refuge in a foreign land using retirement and "wife" visas, how many want to stay in Thailand using tourist visas and other form of temporary visas because of their meagre incomes in their home lands. 

15 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Given the amount of Chinese associated crime in Thailand why wouldn't you screen them prior to allowing them into the country. 

I wonder what happened to the quest for "high end" tourists and big spenders for Thailand???

They are perhaps grasping the fact that pursuing the large numbers of lesser value tourists actually deters them. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Love It 2

8 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Visa waiver programs should be good for all nationalities.  

They should.  But countries, not just Thailand, seem to have their own way of doing things.  I was given a 10-year visa for China, my Thai partner was given just a year.   Go figure.  

On 8/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, DjSilver said:

Are you kidding me, those tourisneeds to pay at least double than everyone else.

Exactly!  One group known for zero baht tours leaving nothing for the locals and the other crew famous for sharing a single beer with 4 straws and their 6 brothers hiding in the wardrobe and under the bed waiting for their mate to bring a girl back for an already discounted short time lol.  That'll get the baht rolling in lol!

12 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Western propaganda spearheaded by America and its boot licking countries in the Western Europe. 

Ha, no my friend. I dont reed or listen to western brainwashing anymore already for a long long time. This is information straight out a Chinese mouth that lives in China.  

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2023 at 7:06 AM, peter zwart said:

Ha, no my friend. I dont reed or listen to western brainwashing anymore already for a long long time. This is information straight out a Chinese mouth that lives in China.  

I have contrary report from people who live there. I have at least 10 chinese/American/Indian friends who report otherwise. Who do I beleive? A nobody who fled his home land to find brides and survive in a foreign land or people who genuinely live there day in and day out?

On 8/2/2023 at 2:06 PM, peter zwart said:

I really didn’t like China, and it’s the only country I would swear that I’d never go back. The poverty is awful, the beggars in states of hunger and illness that I’ve never seen, and I thought India was bad.

14 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

A nobody who fled his home land to find brides and survive in a foreign land

That's an assumption you make quickly. But I understand it's easier for you to just label someone. btw it was a lady.

Edited by peter zwart