British chain Costa Coffee faces boycott calls over transgender illustration

Social Media

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Strawman.

Just keep ideology out of marketing campaigns. Focus on the quality of your product, not your views on x,y or z. Many people, myself included do not want to know what the marketing manager of the company 'stands for', we just want a decent product at a decent price. 

I wouldn't support Christian or straight imagery in their stores any more than I would support Muslim or trans imagery. It's not the place for it. I certainly don't want to be reminded of surgery that slices body parts off. 

I call B.S.

Everyone is assumed to be straight unless they show something suggesting otherwise. EVERYONE.

The same with Christian in a majority Christian country. Etc.

If you don't acknowledge that, we have zero basis for a discussion. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Seems like this anti trans society guy and his followers are the woke ones.  Getting so upset about an image on a van. ????

What next...nake a fuss about a picture of a man with long hair or a woman wearing trousers?

I hope they stay true to their word and stay out od the coffee shops. Other customers don't want to have people like that sitting next sitting next to them whole they enjoy their coffee.. 

These people should not get any support.  If they are anti trans you can bet they are anti gay, anti immigrant, anti Muslim and racist to boot. 

That's what I thought too, it's just a small picture, what's so bad about it? There are bigger problems to worry about.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm far from anti LGBT. I just don't want to see images of sliced off breasts as I drink my morning coffee.

The fact that you keep throwing out insults just shows the weakness of your stance. You really should address that, it's not a good look to insult everyone that you disagree with. 

Nobody far from being anti LGBTQ would  support boycotting a company because of a depiction of a trans person.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Most people would not have found it graphic, most wouldn't even have noticed.

Only because someone with such thin skin decided to post it on social media do people now notice it.

Why can't people just stop complaining at the slightest thing?

Everyone is different. To me it conjures up an image of a breast being sliced off. Not really what I want to think about as I sip my double milk Matcha Latte. 

How about respecting everyone and leaving the imagery and ideology out of the coffee shop? Can people not just relax for an hour without having to think about mastectomys?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

33 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Companies should focus on their bottom line, not top or bottom surgery. I couldn't care less what Costa's marketing team thinks on any given issue, they are not politicians, decision makers or a pressure group. I care about the price, taste and service of my coffee.

In the same vein, people boycotting Costa over this are a bit ridiculous. I'm surprised they didn't complaint that the cartoon image only had 3 fingers instead of five. The joke's on them though.... avoiding Costa means you have to settle for a Gregg's coffee, or even worse, Starbucks.

I avoid big brand coffee shops. In most town there is a plethora of privately owned coffee shops. Locally run. 

At the same time there are those that are closinging down. Get into your local coffee shop and support them.

Use it or lose it.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Everyone is different. To me it conjures up an image of a breast being sliced off. Not really what I want to think about as I sip my double milk Matcha Latte. 

How about respecting everyone and leaving the imagery and ideology out of the coffee shop? Can people not just relax for an hour without having to think about mastectomys?

Had you noticed it and what it stands for before you read the article?

That's my point. Most people will simply not notice it on the wall of a coffee shop. They're too busy playing with their smartphone.

I've just looked at the image again. I would not have linked it to surgery or anything mentioned in the article. Not that I frequent Costa anyway.

Edited by youreavinalaff

44 minutes ago, Davidlong said:

That's what I thought too, it's just a small picture, what's so bad about it? There are bigger problems to worry about.

The two bigger problems were removed. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I've just looked at the image again. I would not have linked it to surgery or anything mentioned in the article. Not that I frequent Costa anyway.

Maybe you wouldn't. 

How about a woman who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer? What image will that conjure up for them? 

What about a young kid asking their mother what it is. Is that a conversation the mother necessarily wants to have (or to have to make up a story to avoid having) at that particular time? Maybe they prefer just to sit and talk about their favourite flavour ice cream? 

Like I said, just leave it out. It's not appropriate in that setting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe you wouldn't. 

How about a woman who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer? What image will that conjure up for them? 

What about a young kid asking their mother what it is. Is that a conversation the mother necessarily wants to have (or to have to make up a story to avoid having) at that particular time? Maybe they prefer just to sit and talk about their favourite flavour ice cream? 

Like I said, just leave it out. It's not appropriate in that setting. 

Like I said, I doubt most people would have linked it to surgery, that was until those who did started to protest.

Kids certainly would not have noticed.

• Like 1