Retirement visa overhaul in the wind, gangs run out of town : Tim Newton Today - August 2

webfact

23,332.12 United States Dollar.

That's a lot of payola.  If you invest that money you should get 10% a year, so it is costing you $2300 a year. in 20 years almost 50k! to retire in Thailand. In most cases you will never get to spend that $23k if you die in Thailand.  So it is way expensive. doesn't even make sense when a 1 month extension is $60, why would a retirement visa be more?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, BE88 said:

They certainly don't want us to leave just to pay more money to have the privilege of living in Thailand. It depends how much this increase will be to be considered good pre people. Usually this means a sizeable increase that we are waiting to see

As long as they leave the marriage extension alone or grandfather it if there's a change they can do what they like.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, through family reunification. Entire third world villages have been relocated to the US through US immigration's family reunification policy, which is given priority by immigration.

What about a normal retiree with no US family? 

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm aware that there is controversy about the mask statement. But one thing is clear, when there was a choice between China and the US during Covid and the vaccine use, Anutin and the government met the Chinese plane on the airport tarmac with a red carpet (I used to have photos but I have long deleted them), the US vaccines arrived in the middle of the night and were met by a guy on a forklift. Anutin likes China. I haven't seen any heartwarming words by him for Westerners. If you can prove me wrong, please do, it would make me rest easier about his attitude towards immigration "reform."

Why wouldn't Thais prefer to deal with China that's where Thais originally came from.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What about a normal retiree with no US family? 

Well, he can just walk across the border and claim asylum (actually doesn't need to cross the border because the government runs busses into Mexico to pick up asylee applicants). They'll be given more in cash than I get in social security, a work permit, housing benefits, training benefits, and a court appointment to hear their case sometime in the next 15 years. Can I do this in Thailand?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Inflation should not be considered.

Real wages and money has not kept up with real inflation and in most govts eyes 800k is a lot of money (I guess except for Thai immigration bosses and certain Thai people)

800k is still a lot of money to keep stuck in a bank account earning pitiful interest.

Yeah but with retirement extension you can split it 400,000 and income.

You can't do a split job with marriage extension it's either monthly earnings amount 40,000 or 400,000 for 2 months in bank.

Just now, freeworld said:

Inflation should not be considered.

Real wages and money has not kept up with real inflation and in most govts eyes 800k is a lot of money (I guess except for Thai immigration bosses and certain Thai people)

800k is still a lot of money to keep stuck in a bank account earning pitiful interest.

Not a lot of money for immigration bosses. They make huge money from all the illegal immigrants  20/30k a time. 

7 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

23,332.12 United States Dollar.

That's a lot of payola.  If you invest that money you should get 10% a year, so it is costing you $2300 a year. in 20 years almost 50k! to retire in Thailand. In most cases you will never get to spend that $23k if you die in Thailand.  So it is way expensive. doesn't even make sense when a 1 month extension is $60, why would a retirement visa be more?

But if you invest it to earn $2,300 a year, you will not be able to spend the invested amount if you die in Thailand. 

Maybe the govt should copy the US and make retirees invest in Thai companies to get their visa. Currently $500,000 in the US. 

Where do you get 10 %? 

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Well, he can just walk across the border and claim asylum (actually doesn't need to cross the border because the government runs busses into Mexico to pick up asylee applicants). They'll be given more in cash than I get in social security, a work permit, housing benefits, training benefits, and a court appointment to hear their case sometime in the next 15 years. Can I do this in Thailand?

Wow, bring back Trump and finish the wall. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm aware that there is controversy about the mask statement. But one thing is clear, when there was a choice between China and the US during Covid and the vaccine use, Anutin and the government met the Chinese plane on the airport tarmac with a red carpet (I used to have photos but I have long deleted them), the US vaccines arrived in the middle of the night and were met by a guy on a forklift. Anutin likes China. I haven't seen any heartwarming words by him for Westerners. If you can prove me wrong, please do, it would make me rest easier about his attitude towards immigration "reform."

Don't think I can prove you wrong. 

He was misquoted by the English gutter press. 

In my experience in Thailand, it's the Chinese ethnics that hate /fear foreigners, so best hope they are not in power, Taksin and the like. 

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Credible source for all that or it should be ignored as anti immigrant propaganda.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, bring back Trump and finish the wall. 

Well, you asked. The point is that once inside the US border, any Thai would be home free. Nobody is going to deport him, nobody is going to stop him from working, and he'll probably be eligible for benefits in some states (such as free medical care), which will also give him sanctuary status. Those of us in Thailand, OTOH, who are on retirement extensions receive no benefits other than the privilege to reside here. I'm not complaining about it either. I just want Thai immigration to stick to their extension requirements as is. Grandfathering things in is fine. But even there they should give a one year's notice for new deposit requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

It was 19 years ago that the thresholds were raised, about time since inflation is around 10% per year. 

One thing to factor in is when the 800K was deposited.  I put mine in 8 years ago. Some have had it in their accounts for an even longer time. That's pre-inflation dollars converted to Tbaht. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grain said:

My guess is the 800K will see a 50% jump to 1,2M, perhaps even doubled to 1,6M.

If Immigration is going to require us to deposit 1.2 or 1.6 million baht, shouldn't the law also require banks to insure deposits for that amount. Aren't deposits only insured to 800,000 currently?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If Immigration is going to require us to deposit 1.2 or 1.6 million baht, shouldn't the law also require banks to insure deposits for that amount. Aren't deposits only insured to 800,000 currently?

Million I think used to be more

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

I have a sneaky feeling that this future change of immigration laws and extensions, will try to allow more 5 year visas to help the LTR gain more clients, and make it harder for 1 year extensions and introduce background checks every extension, to reduce the cheaper competition to the LTR, there was a lot to

unpack in those recent articles by big joke on this visa, and I worry that they just don't give a damn, as another visa 'business' M section at CW last 2 weeks was empty, normally there are 60-70 people waiting and sitting at that section, I know because I was next to it at N section, and my section people numbers were down by 50%

29 minutes ago, humbug said:

Your post is fake information, and has proven to be a myth

'famed Thai anthropologist and physician, Pravej Vasi, found high blood levels of Hemoglobin E in populations living in Southeast Asia, and in the Tai, Khmer, and Mon civilizations, but he did not find any of the blood markers in Chinese populations'

Tai people are actually indigenous to this land, and their closest cousins are the Javanese through blood types and languages going back 2000 years

The main problem with the Tai people myth being from China, is that the Bai people or Tai people were from Tibet, and Tibet is not China, but recently been invaded by China

But Bai people or Tai are not indigenous to this land, it's a name given to them by myths and fake information about coming from what is now South China, after China has invaded Tibet, Manchuria, and lately Laos

But good olde Wiki will keep sugar coating the myth to help all those Chinese nationalists feel good and warm about emigrating here, thinking they are past blood brothers, which has all proven to be false

Thanks for sharing. 

The Chinese Thais will stoop to anything. 

I could tell you a. Few stories about Chinese Thais, like one telling the bank teller that my ID must be fake. She then said Chinese can become Thai but not farang, with that horrible, racist emphasis on the second syllable. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

1 million, used to be 5 million and 10 before that. 

Edited by Neeranam

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Deposits are insured to 1 million THB currently:

https://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/protection-limit

But in the context of possible requirements for 1.2 or 1.6 million THB deposits your point is still well made IMHO.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If I was retired, I think I could find time for half a day's work in immigration and photocopy shop. In fact, I think I would enjoy it to meet some other foreigners. 

If all said 'no' to these agents, immigration wouldn't keep making things harder for the honest ones. 

Actually 6,000 baht to check your papers is way over the top, and I really can't see what they do to earn that! 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Fair enough. Do you still have to go to immigration, but not queue? 

I spent 13 years "enjoying" the delights of Visa Extensions at Suan Phlu intitially and then subsequently at Chaengwattana, the latter which took 7-8 hours door to door. For 3 years I have employed an agent to do the donkey work. I provide the bank letter showing the THB800K in the account for 12 months, and the other requirements, such as supplying new photos. His staff collects them from me, with my passport, bank book, letter, bank statement for 12 months etc the day before. I meet the agent at an agreed time, say 9.00 am, and I am in front of the IO within a few minutes, and out of Chaengwattana within 20 minutes. The agent's fee, (whatever it is, is well worth it). He also does my 90 day reporting and all other things that may come into force unexpectedly.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Yes at CW but the Agent makes an appointment & prior to the appointment system they knew exactly when to turn up to get seen more or less straightaway, in & out each year in 30-40 mins including getting the bank letter.

Don't need to attend at Jomtien.

• Thumbs Up 2

For guys like me who used to reach a maximum of 800k in our bank only at the time of renewal then run the figure down by normal spend, they effectively increased the amount to 1 million + a few years ago by introducing the 2 month before 3 month after rule. At the time I thought it was a clever way of raising the requirement while avoiding the full on negativity of a  headline grabbing baht figure increase.

36 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Deposits are insured to 1 million THB currently:

https://www.dpa.or.th/en/articles/view/protection-limit

But in the context of possible requirements for 1.2 or 1.6 million THB deposits your point is still well made IMHO.

In reality they probably would not be- the compensation cash would soon run out and that would be that. Same happened with the govt compensation scheme for bust insurance companies last year, pot ran dry very quickly and no more given out.

1 hour ago, humbug said:

Your post is fake information, and has proven to be a myth

'famed Thai anthropologist and physician, Pravej Vasi, found high blood levels of Hemoglobin E in populations living in Southeast Asia, and in the Tai, Khmer, and Mon civilizations, but he did not find any of the blood markers in Chinese populations'

Tai people are actually indigenous to this land, and their closest cousins are the Javanese through blood types and languages going back 2000 years

The main problem with the Tai people myth being from China, is that the Bai people or Tai people were from Tibet, and Tibet is not China, but recently been invaded by China

But Bai people or Tai are not indigenous to this land, it's a name given to them by myths and fake information about coming from what is now South China, after China has invaded Tibet, Manchuria, and lately Laos

But good olde Wiki will keep sugar coating the myth to help all those Chinese nationalists feel good and warm about emigrating here, thinking they are past blood brothers, which has all proven to be false

I don't see what's wrong about history saying the Thai tribal people originally came down from a part of southern china China and settled in a part of what is now Laos/Siam border.

Siam developed on from there and where I Iive the first Buddhist Thai Kingdom was established.

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't see what's wrong about history saying the Thai tribal people originally came down from a part of southern china China and settled in a part of what is now Laos/Siam border.

Siam developed on from there and where I Iive the first Buddhist Thai Kingdom was established.

Your post is a proven myth, and Siam is a Vedic word, like many of the ceremonies going back 2000 years, the only reason why the indiginous people of this land were called Tai, because nobody in the past could tell them it was a myth and they were mis-labelled, and that there are actually from this land, very little to do with Tibet and South China, and as Vasi has researched close cousins to the Javanese

But you keep lying to yourself about the myth that people from South China settled in what is Siam/Thailand and became the Tai people, it's just fake

and here again just to re-inforce how fake your information is:

'famed Thai anthropologist and physician, Pravej Vasi, found high blood levels of Hemoglobin E in populations living in Southeast Asia, and in the Tai, Khmer, and Mon civilizations, but he did not find any of the blood markers in Chinese populations'

and one last time indigenous means they never came from another place, they were already here, just mis-named

Good luck

Edited by humbug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for sharing. 

The Chinese Thais will stoop to anything. 

I could tell you a. Few stories about Chinese Thais, like one telling the bank teller that my ID must be fake. She then said Chinese can become Thai but not farang, with that horrible, racist emphasis on the second syllable. 

Chinese Nationalists are just so fake, and hate it when proven facts are thrown their way, just like the poster I replied to, I always reply to a nasty racist Chinese/Thai with 'Go back to China' if they want to act a higher species, then good luck, because a few facts thrown their way, and they get to receive their own nasty medicine

14 minutes ago, humbug said:

Your post is a proven myth, and Siam is a Vedic word, like many of the ceremonies going back 2000 years, the only reason why the indiginous people of this land were called Tai, because nobody in the past could tell them it was a myth and they were mis-labelled, and that there are actually from this land, very little to do with Tibet and South China, and cousins to the Javanese

But you keep lying to yourself about the myth that people from South China settled in what is Siam/Thailand and became the Tai people, it's just fake

and here again just to re-inforce how fake your information is:

'famed Thai anthropologist and physician, Pravej Vasi, found high blood levels of Hemoglobin E in populations living in Southeast Asia, and in the Tai, Khmer, and Mon civilizations, but he did not find any of the blood markers in Chinese populations'

Good luck

I wouldn't believe a famed Thai person either over blood levels of people integrating cross breeding hundreds of years ago come on you can't be that naive.

Going off topic new thread on the truth.

Edited by Kwasaki