Indian man steals money from Thai vendors near Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

A cunning serial thief stole 950 baht from a Thai vendor in Nonthaburi province near Bangkok. The Indian man in question reportedly stole money from many other shops using the same smoke and mirror trick.

The victim, Kanticha, revealed to the media that the incident occurred on July 31 at her noodles shop in the Bang Bua Thong district of Nonthaburi province. The 22 year old woman said an Indian man rushed into her shop and went straight to a fridge and grabbed some herb drinks.

The Indian man grabbed one bottle of the herb drink and handed over a 1,000-baht banknote. Kanticha asked for some smaller bills because the drink was only 25 baht. The Indian man changed his mind saying the drink was too expensive, so Kanticha handed the banknote back to him.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ คุยข่าว เมืองนนท์

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/indian-man-steals-money-from-thai-vendors-near-bangkok

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What are they thinking about ,he only gave the indian the 1000 Baht ,back a moment

before ,and he had already forgotten about returning his drink and note .sounds like

my wife ,two seconds later forgotten what i just said.

regards worgeordie

He?

"at her noodles shop ......... The 22 year old woman ......... rushed into her shop

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

He?

"at her noodles shop ......... The 22 year old woman ......... rushed into her shop

Good job your keeping an eye on me , I might do something really stupid ......

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

Pretty smart actually. He used the victims desire to still have the 1000 note. No Thai vendor wants to hand back a 1000 note.

He gave her the opportunity to believe she still had it by coming back a second time. In her mind she still wanted to believe she kept the note, even though she handed it back. Getting the 2nd drink let her believe she still had the note so she gave change. Sleight of mind.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 4

LOL. Nothing about stealing. Just a stupid vendor who couldn't remember giving back money just a moment ago, so she gave it (first the customer's banknote, then change) back twice.

Vendor at fault, unlike common scams in Thailand: charging an extra item which customer didn't buy (and not giving a receipt, 7-Eleven), or intentionally giving wrong change (Lotus's, banks...)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

India is full with pickpockets, thieves and crooks, and some of them are finding easy picking here on an unsuspecting locals and foreignness, and to think that the government want to bring many of them over as 'tourists'.

Competition?

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What are they thinking about ,he only gave the indian the 1000 Baht ,back a moment

before ,and he had already forgotten about returning his drink and note .sounds like

regards worgeordie

That's the point of rushing around.  It interrupts thought processes and confuses people.

Similar to this is the "money changing" scam.  Where someone goes into a shop and asks for change then tries to confuse the cashier by rushing and quickly handing notes back and forth "can I get this, no make it this, give me that back, take this", sneakily putting some notes in his pocket, possibly the original note that the scammer was asking to change in the first place.  They might even throw in a fake phone call to confuse things even more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I didn't understand a word of this post!  So he gave her 1000 for a 25 baht drink, and she returned the 1000 to him?

So how in heck did he "steal" 950 baht?????

What kind of reporting is this?

For lunatics?

He's a scammer.  He confused her by his behaviour.  He kept the original 1000B note and got change as though he had given her the note.

• Thumbs Up 1

From link:

"She had never seen this foreign thief in the area before and had heard stories of an Indian man committing a similar crime at a coffee shop in the province on July 21."

So she knew of an Indian thief in the area......she says he was Indian......he's doing something irregular in your shop.....and she still let her guard down?

Well, hard to feel sorry for her I would say!!

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I didn't understand a word of this post!  So he gave her 1000 for a 25 baht drink, and she returned the 1000 to him?

So how in heck did he "steal" 950 baht?????

What kind of reporting is this?

For lunatics?

From the link;

The Indian man then spoke to Kanticha in English before rushing to the fridge again and grabbing a second bottle. He then approached the vendor once again, asking for change. Kanticha, assuming two bottles cost 50 baht, handed over 950 baht as change, forgetting that she had already returned the money.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Not convinced that your wife actually listened in the first place.

My wifey certainly doesn't seem to do so.????????