Has Thailand found legal recipe to beat soaring child obesity?

webfact

image.png

Thailand is drafting a law to control the advertising of unhealthy food, in a bid to combat soaring rates of obesity in children.

“The draft law will be presented to the Public Health Ministry later this year in the hope that it will take effect next year,” said Dr Saipin Chotivichien, director of the Nutrition Bureau in the ministry’s Health Department.

Obesity has doubled in Thailand over the past two decades, according to a 2020 survey by Mahidol University. During that period, the percentage of obese children in the one-to-five age group has shot up from 5.8 to 11.4 percent. The percentage of obese kids aged five to 14 has risen even further, from 5.8 to 13.9 percent. A similar upward trend was found among 15 to 18-year-olds.

“Based on Public Health Ministry data as of February this year, 13.2 percent of Thais aged between 15 and 18 are obese. This figure is high,” conceded Dr Sarawut Boonsuk, deputy director-general of the Health Department.

Thailand has the third-highest rate of obese children among ASEAN countries, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/has-thailand-found-legal-recipe-to-beat-soaring-child-obesity/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

Stop them from eating fatty (take away) foods and drinking sugar water

I do not think you are on to a winner there, when an adult thai breakfast is just a pick up of triple fried left over road side chicken, a lunch of a coffee and a fag, and an evening meal of som tam and a couple bottles of change.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I do not think you are on to a winner there, when an adult thai breakfast is just a pick up of triple fried left over road side chicken, a lunch of a coffee and a fag, and an evening meal of som tam and a couple bottles of change.

Not sure where you are living.

My #1 priority has always been to provide wife & self with good tucker.

Our village market is always humming.

Good vege & meat.

We can both cook.

Coffee & fags don't seem to be popular.????????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

down here in Phuket i see it's a big problem the kids have to much money these days, just go to my 7/11 early mornings and see the kids all buying junk pizza slices and drinks, 

Not just Phuket, it's the same here in Isaan...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sugar is highly addictive. Try to eliminate sugar from your diet and you will have headaches and feel lethargic for a couple of days. As long as governments are subsidizing the sugar industry, the obisity problem will get worse with some very serious long term health issues. Not rocket science.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Sugar is highly addictive. Try to eliminate sugar from your diet and you will have headaches and feel lethargic for a couple of days. As long as governments are subsidizing the sugar industry, the obisity problem will get worse with some very serious long term health issues. Not rocket science.

for Thai's everything has to be sweat, 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kids will always want Sweets/Candy so they need to be educated to make the right choices.

When I was a kid we always got TV Ads for Maltesers ......"With the Less Fattening Centre".

A2.jpeg.870900d3589b88ee604382c77a88d16a.jpeg

Or why not try Polo Mints.....With the even less "Fattening Centre"?

A3.jpeg

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Well yes. Kills 184k a year.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Went to food court. Asked for strawberry shake. She put 3 strawberries in then loads of syrup. I said no thanks I want a real shake no sugar. She looked stunned.

Street shakes have real fruit mostly.

Yeh, I bet................????

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Went to food court. Asked for strawberry shake. She put 3 strawberries in then loads of syrup. I said no thanks I want a real shake no sugar. She looked stunned.

Street shakes have real fruit mostly.

How much is a street shake containing mostly only real strawberries... No added sugar or syrup ?

Edited by Ralf001

So you lot want LOS to be different from your own country, so funny.......????

Even back in the 50's where I come from, if mum had some money, we had sweets, lemonade, sticks of rock, and so did you............:licklips:..............????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

So you lot want LOS to be different from your own country, so funny.......????

Even back in the 50's where I come from, if mum had some money, we had sweets, lemonade, sticks of rock, and so did you............:licklips:..............????

And look how fat peoole are

• Like 1