Are people better now or back in the 1980s

bignok

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Kath and Kim was a very clever satire but if you're not Aussie you won't understand it?

Same as if you're not Aussie you won't understand the superfluous question mark at the end of my sentences?

Agree. "Malcolm" and "Kenny" are two of the funniest Australian films ever made. On the odd occasion I have shown a video of them to Americans or Canadians, they are quite incapable of understanding the humor. They usually sit with their mouths open.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Agree. "Malcolm" and "Kenny" are two of the funniest Australian films ever made. On the odd occasion I have shown a video of them to Americans or Canadians, they are quite incapable of understanding the humor. They usually sit with their mouths open.

What was funny about them? Paul Hogan was funny in the 1980s. Kenny is a poor man's Hogan. Steve Vizard was funny for a while. The funniest Aus comic is an ex heavy metal drummer who moved to England. Forget his name.

Got long hair.

Just now, bignok said:

What was funny about them? Paul Hogan was funny in the 1980s. Kenny is a poor man's Hogan. Steve Vizard was funny for a while. The funniest Aus comic is an ex heavy metal drummer who moved to England. Forget his name.

Got long hair.

Perhaps the humor was too laid-back and dry for you. Everyone's taste is different. We come from different generations. My father loved Roy Rene Mo, whom you may not have heard of. I agree Paul Hogan was funny, Steve Vizard did not tickle my funny bone. Seinfeld is as funny as crutches, humor with a sneer.

The drummer can't have been all that funny if you can't remember his name.

41 minutes ago, bignok said:

Got long hair.

Norman Gunston?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

We would need to compare them with forum posts in the 80s before we could accept your statement ............ wait ...... they didn't exist before the year 2000.

I’m talking generally, not solely online (which as you rightly say wasn’t there in the 80s).

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think one of the big problems now is that everything happens so much faster than many years ago.

Yes and no. A film, a record, fashion was radically diff in 1980 than it was in 1950.

Something from 30 years ago today (1995) is much more samey in comparison. 

4 hours ago, Trippy said:

Back in the 80's, when someone gave you their word, or made a promise it meant something. Now people lie as easily as look at you.

So yes, I think people were better back then.

Really? Was that happening all over the world or only in some areas, i.e. "back home" where we grew up?

I have and had friends and business partners who I could trust. Their word means something.

And then there are of course other who I wouldn't trust - not just now and here. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really? Was that happening all over the world or only in some areas, i.e. "back home" where we grew up?

I have and had friends and business partners who I could trust. Their word means something.

And then there are of course other who I wouldn't trust - not just now and here. 

Why is it on this forum that no matter what is said, there is always someone looking for an argument. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Trippy said:

Why is it on this forum that no matter what is said, there is always someone looking for an argument. 

You wrote: "Back in the 80's, when someone gave you their word, or made a promise it meant something. Now people lie as easily as look at you."

Should we just accept that as the truth because you said it? Or are we allowed to disagree with you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its likely just awareness and media but for me definitely a lot more mental instability and disorders these days and it seems to be growing by the day, just look around and fairly sure that within 10 mins you'll spot some oddity that is a bit off, unless of course your the off one.

Didn't notice it as much back then.

1 hour ago, Trippy said:

Not just this forum. All social media. Alot of folks who would never have the nerve to confront someone in public, feel emboldened behind a keyboard. Another reason why society is evolving backwards. Where men and leaders used to ride out into battle, with everything at stake, now they quibble online and give hostile and divisive speeches. The same people who would wet their pants if ever faced with real danger. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1