The Kinks

LaosLover

Went down a Youtube trail after watching their 1981 concert video, One For The Road. Ray-D was uncharacteristically rockin' on that one, trying to get on the radio with Superman.

I prefer my Ray-D to be slightly languid, a touch fey, and ironic-reflective. Of all the noble bands deemed too English to break in the states (see also: Madness, The Jam, and anyone from Manchester), they were the most erudite and uncompromising. The loss of that very literate sensibility in song-writing is vast.

I played Muswell Hillbillies twice today. Got any other good Kink kuts for me?

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Went down a Youtube trail after watching their 1981 concert video, One For The Road. Ray-D was uncharacteristically rockin' on that one, trying to get on the radio with Superman.

I prefer my Ray-D to be slightly languid, a touch fey, and ironic-reflective. Of all the noble bands deemed too English to break in the states (see also: Madness, The Jam, and anyone from Manchester), they were the most erudite and uncompromising. The loss of that very literate sensibility in song-writing is vast.

I played Muswell Hillbillies twice today. Got any other good Kink kuts for me?

Rock bands are erudite and cerebral? News to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

They alive?

Both brothers, Ray & Dave are, 79/76.  Nice thread, as I almost forgot how good Dave was on guitar.

Quick Google and Ian Gibbons died in 2019, and Mick Avory is still kickin'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Both brothers, Ray & Dave are, 79/76.  Nice thread, as I almost forgot how good Dave was on guitar.

Quick Google and Ian Gibbons died in 2019, and Mick Avory is still kickin'.

Yes, I am still kickin'.

• Haha 2

yeah, cat stevens is way better than the kinks. ha ha. 

you'll be very popular in this thread. 

sunny afternoon is a cool song, but the lyrics are silly. he's complaining that he wants to be on his yacht all day, but the taxman is being a thorn in his side, picking his pockets. 

• Confused 1

The Kinks never sang a bad song, at least that I have ever heard.

It's truly impossible to choose the TOP 3 tunes because they are all so good.

The best I might do is to choose my TOP 30...or maybe even my TOP 40 selections.

However, as soon as I saw this thread, TWENTY came immediately to mind...

Everybody likes Sunny Afternoon...

But the first tune that came to mind would have been this one...

I have the entire discography on my phone, but now seldom listen, so unfortunately.

These guys are the best.

I am old enough to clearly remember them, their songs being played, in my dorm room at age 12...

Unforgettable...

The Kinks are part of the times, at that time, for me.

When one had just passed through puberty,...The Kinks sounded the BEST....

image.png.11acf3d85237f183796ea8c8e57d095e.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin

The musician in my local UK pub always performs either Lola or Sunny Afternnon in his weekly gig, and both bring a smile to my face.

The first record I ever bought was You Really Got Me - in Woolworths if I remember correctly. A catchy song but not particularly deep, but I never reallly listened to lyrics when I was young. Now I do appreciate the gentle wit of those two - Layla is particularly relevant to anyone who spends time in Thailand's RLDs, and Sunny Afternoon is poignant for the many expats on here who have escaped a failed marriage and the oppresive tax system back home.

Edited by London Lowf

10 hours ago, save the frogs said:

yeah, cat stevens is way better than the kinks. ha ha. 

you'll be very popular in this thread. 

sunny afternoon is a cool song, but the lyrics are silly. he's complaining that he wants to be on his yacht all day, but the taxman is being a thorn in his side, picking his pockets. 

Kinks 5/10 from me.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The Kinks never sang a bad song, at least that I have ever heard.

It's truly impossible to choose the TOP 3 tunes because they are all so good.

The best I might do is to choose my TOP 30...or maybe even my TOP 40 selections.

However, as soon as I saw this thread, TWENTY came immediately to mind...

Everybody likes Sunny Afternoon...

But the first tune that came to mind would have been this one...

I have the entire discography on my phone, but now seldom listen, so unfortunately.

These guys are the best.

I am old enough to clearly remember them, their songs being played, in my dorm room at age 12...

Unforgettable...

The Kinks are part of the times, at that time, for me.

When one had just passed through puberty,...The Kinks sounded the BEST....

image.png.11acf3d85237f183796ea8c8e57d095e.png

A lot of their songs were challenging, and if you didn't want to accept the challenge, you could just enjoy the music.  "Come Dancing", for example, covers a lot of ground - some if it given over to car parks, some still terraced suburbia. Lola is not specifically about the 2nd floor of Nana Plaza.  "Sunny Afternoon" would be better directed at his agent, who had taken the 10% that the tax man was willing to leave...

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

A lot of their songs were challenging, and if you didn't want to accept the challenge, you could just enjoy the music.  "Come Dancing", for example, covers a lot of ground - some if it given over to car parks, some still terraced suburbia. Lola is not specifically about the 2nd floor of Nana Plaza.  "Sunny Afternoon" would be better directed at his agent, who had taken the 10% that the tax man was willing to leave...

The thing that I appreciate MOST about the Kinks...probably,

Is the amazing song lyrics.

I don't know of any that can top them on lyrics.

I have listened to these songs, over and over, for years.

15 hours ago, LaosLover said:

It was like if Oscar Wilde had a band.

I hardly think Ray Davies is a noofter.

Kinks were largely "his" band and I always respected the music and the satires, but not really the singles.

Sad that one of the band dies yesterday, I believe.

6 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

I hardly think Ray Davies is a noofter.

Kinks were largely "his" band and I always respected the music and the satires, but not really the singles.

Sad that one of the band dies yesterday, I believe.

For some, lyrical excellence is more important than the sexuality of the author or the singer.  I don't think any of us judged the excellence of Queen by which way Freddie Mercury crossed the road.

• Sad 1