Brit left with one leg shorter than other after botched surgery in Thailand

snoop1130

Too bad for him he obviously kept in great shape.

I use to think it was good but, I have become less and less impressed with the medical professionals here.  I wonder if it is incompetency or that they just don't like foreigners,  

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In order to stand a chance of competing in the ring again, Connor will have to replace the rod with a plate.

I don't know why, but the first thought that entered my mind after reading this story was the movie title:

Check out the brilliant first pictures from the set of Dumb and ...

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Oh please ... try simply saying THANK YOU, for saving my leg, possibly my life.

So now he has a bit of a limp, OMG.  Shouldn't really interfere with his Muay Thai.  And of course, get others to pay to correct it.  Cry me a river.

My one leg is 4cm shorter than the other due to hip displacement, not an issue in anything I do.   Just a bit of a hobble when walking.  Actually mine is 'adjustable' and simply need to pull hip/leg back into position.

If the operation was free, say thanks. For sure it was not.

23 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Life can be tough but as you say, one has to roll with the punches. With the proper shoes this won't interfere with his hobby, he could reinvent himself as 'Conner the limp McBride'.

That would make it sound like he has 

Erectile dysfunction. :cheesy:

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You appear not to understand how it works in the UK, and as such your comments of little value. 

No, I don’t understand it.  But, it’s gotta suck to be in that position.   Maybe some life choices made earlier in life could have led to a better career that either provided good insurance or paid enough to afford buying it.

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

If the operation was free, say thanks. For sure it was not.

Why would it be free.  Live with your decisions & consequences.  Want free healthcare, stay in the UK.  

If he wasn't a ranked fighter already, continuing with an already multiple busted up leg, isn't exactly the best career path .. IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NedR69 said:

No, I don’t understand it.  But, it’s gotta suck to be in that position.   Maybe some life choices made earlier in life could have led to a better career that either provided good insurance or paid enough to afford buying it.

It is a result of having a National Health Service that many Brits do not think seriously of health and accident issues and adequate health insurance coverage for holidays in places that do not. When the UK was in the EU that coverage went far and wide. Sounds like this guy needs to get himself home.....

US guys understand it better....

Usual anti Thai crowd instantly agreeing with his claim that the surgery was 'botched' which supports his plea for free money.

The easiest way to correct the problem would be to have 3 cm removed from the other leg.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The irony in this story is that Thailand want to start space exploration while can't even preform a simple operation properly

He's still alive, still has his leg, and it works as it should.  I'd call that a proper & successful operation.  Nothing 'batched' at all, and just the opinion of the writer of the article.  

Obviously gets more clicks than:  'Brit has successful leg surgery in TH'

Just another ignorant Thai basher, maybe spurned by ex Thai partner ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, terryq said:

Usual anti Thai crowd instantly agreeing with his claim that the surgery was 'botched' which supports his plea for free money.

The easiest way to correct the problem would be to have 3 cm removed from the other leg.

Or buy a shoe with padding 555

3cm isnt much.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

He's still alive, still has his leg, and it works as it should.  I'd call that a proper & successful operation.  Nothing 'batched' at all, and just the opinion of the writer of the article.  

Obviously gets more clicks than:  'Brit has successful leg surgery in TH'

Just another ignorant Thai basher, maybe spurned by ex Thai partner ????

Yes but humans are negatively wired. 

44 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The irony in this story is that Thailand want to start space exploration while can't even preform a simple operation properly. 

How do you know it was simple? We only have his word that it was botched, it isn't all that unusual that limbs are shortened after a traumatic accident.

1 hour ago, NedR69 said:

Sorry to hear of his misfortune.

Why do so many yahoos leave their country and do not have adequate medical insurance.  

Sadly again, it sounds like the usual suspect.  Thailand must be a haven for cheap charlie brits that have their priorities all hosed up. And they apparently do not understand the value of earning lifetime health insurance/medical coverage when they were working and that coverage could likely be worth more than any pension.  Even the advert at the end of the story is about medical insurance.  If any of this pisses you off or you still don’t get it…..well, there’s your sign.  Regardless, prayers for his speedy recovery.

You've missed the point here. He had surgery, just wasn't happy with the result. Same with my friend, who had plenty of insurance, but they still f**** up his leg. Obviously the insurance company won't pay for further surgery, which is basically elective surgery. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

And Thailand wants to shine as an international centre of exvellence for medical tourism?!. Seriously?

Check out the other horrific post from a member here of yet another botched surgery.

Yes, there are cases here of good surgery - but Thailand does seem to have more than its fair share of rubbish surgeons.

A BIG issue is that there is no true legal comeback

Correct, I had to sign a disclaimer before they would undertake an emergency operation. they probably have a zillion get-out clauses. 

yes i had a fractured hip they pinned it i walk with a limp 

the reason the doctor gave is not to pressure the joint

so i put an extra sole on the injured leg to level up yes i walked without the limp 

but the pain was too much after a couple of days 

so its no t a  botched opp

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Oh please ... try simply saying THANK YOU, for saving my leg, possibly my life.

So now he has a bit of a limp, OMG.  Shouldn't really interfere with his Muay Thai.  And of course, get others to pay to correct it.  Cry me a river.

My one leg is 4cm shorter than the other due to hip displacement, not an issue in anything I do.   Just a bit of a hobble when walking.  Actually mine is 'adjustable' and simply need to pull hip/leg back into position.

I'm of similar mind, after reading this story. I had a serious motorcycle smash 40 years ago. I broke the femur into 3 pieces, my tibia (same leg) and my left ulna and radius. Anyway, all my life I've had to live with a small percentage of disability (limited rotation in the arm, a bit of a limp in the leg) and they make it impossible to compete in sports, but overall I get around OK and never felt sorry for myself. I still hit the weights pretty hard and do plenty of cardio.

Looking at the bright side, maybe they did this guy a favour - taking him out of a very dangerous sport.

• Thumbs Up 1