Trump has already disqualified himself from White House return

Social Media

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

I agree with the academics, except that he needs to be convicted in a court of law before he can be barred. Therein lies the rub, and it explains all the delay tactics by the Trump team. If Trump gets elected before he is convicted he can dissolve all the federal charges. 

And then pardon himself?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with the academics, except that he needs to be convicted in a court of law before he can be barred. Therein lies the rub, and it explains all the delay tactics by the Trump team. If Trump gets elected before he is convicted he can dissolve all the federal charges. 

I just raise the question. Following the American Civi War, did all those who participated on the Confederate side have to be found guilty of this in a court of law before being barred from holding office? I do not know, but I would be surprised if the Reconstruction Republican government would have set this as the bar … It will be interesting to follow the developments.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no conviction requirement in the fourteenth, though it would presumably clear some of the slightly ambiguous clause three.

The only other argument I can see is that it does not specify “presidents”, though they would seem to be included as “elected”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, gargamon said:

No. If he gets elected he can kill the prosecution before he gets convicted so no need to pardon himself. 

It sounds like you're talking about a developing world tin pot dictatorship. What on Earth has happened?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1