Have you had a hard life?

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nearly 20 years retired sounds great. I hope to retire in 10 years, aged 67.

I had a hard life in some regards, 20 years as an alcoholic/drug addicts isn't easy. 

I feel lucky that after 5 years working in the oil industry, I decided to quit the rat race and come to Thailand, in 1992. 

At 67?

Leaving it too long , but as you said your already in Thailand 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nearly 20 years retired sounds great. I hope to retire in 10 years, aged 67.

I had a hard life in some regards, 20 years as an alcoholic/drug addicts isn't easy. 

I feel lucky that after 5 years working in the oil industry, I decided to quit the rat race and come to Thailand, in 1992. 

My target was 55 but managed to retire at 57 because waited for my youngest son to finish school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My target was 55 but managed to retire at 57 because waited for my youngest son to finish school.

I retired age 45, when I thought I had enough money to live the rest of my life.

Life was never that hard, mostly sat in a chair, but tedious work with little time off.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Has life been easy or hard 

... yes & no

.did you have a hard manual job ?

... a few involved manual labor, w/bad back to prove it

Jail? Divorce? Gambling? Recession? 

... Jail ... just overnights

... Divorces 3

... Gambling ... me/no ... wife #3/yes, 

... Recessions ... laid off or industry died 5 times (steel, lithographic printing, 3 airlines/bankrupt)

What about those who did shift work?

... worked all shifts, some by choice, some not, a couple (3rd/midnight shift), low pay job, by choice only till I found something better.  Why keeping days open.

At times I worked 3 jobs, not by choice, and other times, I ran 3 businesses (self owned), by choice.   

1 salaried job I worked 80 hrs a week, mandatory 5 double shifts every week.

Other job, could come & go as I please, and usually 2 double shifts w/5 days off a week. Why that one lasted more than 1-3-6-12 months, actually 13 yrs, w/pittance of a pension.  Great airline flight bennies though.

Damn roller coaster ride, as sometimes, barely enough money, but at least always enough.   Other times, too much money.  

Retired @ 45 ish, so kind of hard to complain.  68 now, 69 at year's end.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes observation of you.

Came May 2005 and the best bit was getting nearly all my money over from UK in September 2005 @ 75 to £.

The year a bought my condo, happy days.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I retired age 45, when I thought I had enough money to live the rest of my life.

Life was never that hard, mostly sat in a chair, but tedious work with little time off.

Well I enjoyed my job and had mortgage commitments so 55 was the target but as said 57 because my son lived with me and wanted to stay in same school not move to live with mum and start another school for the sake of two years.

Not a problem because my Thai wife was with me staying in England until we left the dump.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Life is as hard or as good as one makes it to be. Ok not always but often the sole responsable of many hassles in life, is oneself. Not always, I repeat, but often.

I guess life can go either way though

,just bad luck can play a role where you go ,but I think your right to a certain degree eg you choose which path to take in life 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Has life been easy or hard 

... yes & no

.did you have a hard manual job ?

... a few involved manual labor, w/bad back to prove it

Jail? Divorce? Gambling? Recession? 

... Jail ... just overnights

... Divorces 3

... Gambling ... me/no ... wife #3/yes, 

... Recessions ... laid off or industry died 5 times (steel, lithographic printing, 3 airlines/bankrupt)

What about those who did shift work?

... worked all shifts, some by choice, some not, a couple (3rd/midnight shift), low pay job, by choice only till I found something better.  Why keeping days open.

At times I worked 3 jobs, not by choice, and other times, I ran 3 businesses (self owned), by choice.   

1 salaried job I worked 80 hrs a week, mandatory 5 double shifts every week.

Other job, could come & go as I please, and usually 2 double shifts w/5 days off a week. Why that one lasted more than 1-3-6-12 months, actually 13 yrs, w/pittance of a pension.  Great airline flight bennies though.

Damn roller coaster ride, as sometimes, barely enough money, but at least always enough.   Other times, too much money.  

Retired @ 45 ish, so kind of hard to complain.  68 now, 69 at year's end.  

Doubt if anyone can beat that !

That's almost 2 life in one ????

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess life can go either way though

,just bad luck can play a role where you go ,but I think your right to a certain degree eg you choose which path to take in life 

Something like putting all assets in a foreign wife's name and then giving out when the hammer falls and all assets get wiped out in favour of the brother-in-law or whatever ?

• Like 1