Thai wife wants to buy land

Before we got married I gave TGF THB and she bought a house and some land in her name. No problems there.

We got married a couple years ago and now she wants to buy again some piece of and we'll have to appear before a Land Office officer and sign a document that I have already downloaded. So, we know what to do but I'd like to hear from locally married BM who have gone through this process and tell me how it goes.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Good luck to buy for something that's not in your name.

It could be ok if no brothers, in-laws etc, or a huge family behind the girl, but that is rarely the case in Thailand.

But then it does work out for others,  so it's just that each person sees things with their own sensitivity and intuition.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, terryq said:

Contracts between husband and wife are not enforceable under Thai law and can be voided by either party at any time (CCC 1469)

That's ridiculous! This law needs to be changed ASAP! Thanks for the info, though! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Seamaster said:

Thai wife wants you to buy land that she will own 100%.

FTFY

It's called a pension................????

Sadly, the OP has no claim on the house he is living in, if things go.......????         

Dunno what FTFY is..................????

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That's ridiculous! This law needs to be changed ASAP! Thanks for the info, though! 

Newsflash: deck always stacked against foreign men. It's obviously, blatantly in the favor of the Thai. That being said do you think this was a mistake on their part? If not do you think this will change anytime soon?

The law might go something like this. Any money that is brought entirely from abroad and invested in a personal and residential home can be held entirely by the purchaser. The other party can make no claim.

This would actually indirectly benefit Thai women because they get a cool house to live in or property and at the end of the day if there is a divorce it's very possible that it will be split or even given to her.

Edited by Seamaster

On 8/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, carlyai said:

Isaan lawyer online. I went thru them (before they were online). Because land anywhere can be tricky. 

Eventually at the land office they wrote something on the title deeds that it is my wife and mine until I die, something like that.

Too bad you don't actually know what they had written.

And office will have little bearing on a court of law. Especially since it's not in the Thai Nationals favor.

Pause the law regardless of whatever the land office scrawled on the back of your deed

• Haha 1