Chinese Rolls-Royce Owner Demands Compensation from Pickup Truck Driver

webfact

On 8/19/2023 at 12:14 AM, RobU said:

I don't understand the controversy here. The pick up driver was too close and in the wrong, essentially driving in a dangerous manner. Therefore he or his insurance should pay. It doesn't matter whether the car he rear ended was a Rolls Royce or a Fiat Punto. The wealth of the .Rolls Royce driver is irrelevant 

What is relevant is whether the RR driver was insured. Because if insured the company will pay her and after that go after the guilty party.

In a country with many uninsured motorists and without assets driving a car like that without insurance is simply stupid.

• Like 1

Why shouldn't she get compensation when the Thai driver ran into the back of her? He was a fault, either on his phone, driving too fast, too close or not paying attention to his driving. His fault 100%. She should be compensated whether she is rich or poor, Chinese or Martian. The fact that insurance regs here don't require you to carry enough cover to compensate is neither here not there either. If you don't carry the insurance you have to pay out of pocket.

What I'd like to know is, was he drunk, was he high, was he on the phone, does he have a license? All easy to check. 

A Thai driver ran into me, he was in a brand new truck. He was ok and sheepish but his pupils were like pinpricks. His wife, however, cut up really nasty with my wife and a fight almost broke out in front of the police. I told my wife just to tell the police we wanted to all go down to the police station and take a drug and alcohol test. The guy suddenly started telling his wife to shut up and get out of there quick...he was high as a kite. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, retarius said:

Why shouldn't she get compensation when the Thai driver ran into the back of her? He was a fault, either on his phone, driving too fast, too close or not paying attention to his driving. His fault 100%. She should be compensated whether she is rich or poor, Chinese or Martian. The fact that insurance regs here don't require you to carry enough cover to compensate is neither here not there either. If you don't carry the insurance you have to pay out of pocket.

What I'd like to know is, was he drunk, was he high, was he on the phone, does he have a license? All easy to check. 

A Thai driver ran into me, he was in a brand new truck. He was ok and sheepish but his pupils were like pinpricks. His wife, however, cut up really nasty with my wife and a fight almost broke out in front of the police. I told my wife just to tell the police we wanted to all go down to the police station and take a drug and alcohol test. The guy suddenly started telling his wife to shut up and get out of there quick...he was high as a kite. 

Her getting compensated... or her car getting fixed.

Two different things.

On 8/17/2023 at 7:55 PM, cncltd1973 said:

like watching Marie Antoinette demanding blood for a scratch on her gold leafed wagon

I suspect if he did that to Marie Antoinette's gold leafed wagon, he would be eating stale cake that day, and an appointment with Madame La Guillotine the following morning before breakfast.

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 7:33 AM, soalbundy said:

An old lady pulled out in front of me, without looking, on her motorbike, damage to my car was 80k, she wasn't hurt. Police determined she was at fault but she was poor, had no driving license or insurance. The police drew up an agreement  that she was to pay me 1,000 Baht a month or go to prison. When the dust had settled the officer pulled me to one side and asked me to report to him if she didn't pay as this was the second time this had happened. The motorbike was crap and should never have been on the road, it was confiscated by the police. She never paid even one Baht but I didn't bother reporting her, sending a 65 year old lady to prison wasn't going to help me. I didn't have 1st class insurance so I had to pay for my own damage. This is what the pick up driver can expect probably, monthly payments or prison.

It seems to boil down to poor timing so often here. 

They usually look when pulling out onto a road, but only as they are doing it, so it's too late. They indicate when changing lanes, but only as they are doing it or after, so it's too late. They look when they pull away from the side of the road,  but only as they're doing it, so it's too late. 

Off topic but a new roundabout is being built to replace some traffic lights here in Mahasarakham. That should be fun, since most Thai drivers don't seem to know how they work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AlexPattaya said:

If a driver is at fault, he/she must pay for the damages. It’s as simple as that. It makes no difference as to nationality of the driver. Rules are Rules. 

And if that person simply does not have the money, what do you suggest?