Emirates shenanigans

BenStark

I booked an economy flight with Emirates, I checked yesterday on the website how much it would be to upgrade to business from Bangkok to end destination and it said 42.000 baht.

Today I received an email that I was "selected" for an upgrade at promotional price, but I have to be fast to accept of course./

Bangkok to Dubai 26462 Baht, and Dubai to end destination 31754 baht, total for the whole flight = 58216 baht.

The promotion will not give me access to business lounge, extra luggage or extra miles.

So I checked again through manage my booking, and now the price for upgrading the total flight is 49000 baht, 7000 more than yesterday, but still 9000 baht less than the "promotional" price, and with all benefits included.

I guess I must be missing something?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Emirates business is a huge step up from economy. I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

Please elaborate on that, as I have never used Emirates

Exclude the lounge, as with 90 minutes between both flights, you don't make it to the lounge

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Please elaborate on that, as I have never used Emirates

I find pretty much all economy seats unbearable after a couple of hours. Any seat that lets me lay flat (on my side or front) is worth the extra money to me (within reason). So, not being in discomfort for the majority of 13 hours inflight is worth it for me. My customers usually end up paying anyway, which makes it even more of a no-brainer. FWIW - I barely sleep even in a lie flat seat. Maybe 2 hours maximum and not particularly deep sleep, but still worth it.

The Bangkok > Dubai > Bangkok legs on my last flights were with an older interior (pretty much the same as the new one, just slightly different colours and showing signs of wear), but the Heathrow legs (as you would expect) were bang up to date.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I find pretty much all economy seats unbearable after a couple of hours. Any seat that lets me lay flat (on my side or front) is worth the extra money to me (within reason). So, not being in discomfort for the majority of 13 hours inflight is worth it for me. My customers usually end up paying anyway, which makes it even more of a no-brainer. FWIW - I barely sleep even in a lie flat seat. Maybe 2 hours maximum and not particularly deep sleep, but still worth it.

The Bangkok > Dubai > Bangkok legs on my last flights were with an older interior (pretty much the same as the new one, just slightly different colours and showing signs of wear), but the Heathrow legs (as you would expect) were bang up to date.

Now you are talking first class i guess. Does business class have lay flat seats?

The price for business is 3 times the price for economy. I'm considering it, but if the only benefits are a bit wider seat, and better food, maybe not worth the extra.

Anyway, the point of this topic was that the "promotional" price is 9000 baht more than the regular price. ????

I've been Gold with emirates for over 15 years ( unfortunately never quite make Platinum ) but they're Biz class is excellent.

You'll get lounge access at the origin airport and i believe you'll get pick up service from airport to house / hotel at destination so long as it's within an hour of the airport.

If someone else is paying it's a no brainer.

You'll get, i think it's 42kg checked in baggage if that's you're jive and fast track immigration lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

I booked an economy flight with Emirates, I checked yesterday on the website how much it would be to upgrade to business from Bangkok to end destination and it said 42.000 baht.

Today I received an email that I was "selected" for an upgrade at promotional price, but I have to be fast to accept of course./

Bangkok to Dubai 26462 Baht, and Dubai to end destination 31754 baht, total for the whole flight = 58216 baht.

The promotion will not give me access to business lounge, extra luggage or extra miles.

So I checked again through manage my booking, and now the price for upgrading the total flight is 49000 baht, 7000 more than yesterday, but still 9000 baht less than the "promotional" price, and with all benefits included.

I guess I must be missing something?

what you are being offered is a  seat and cabin experience only

It may be the case that economy is full or overbooked and everyone in economy has been sent the same email

what you should do is clear any Emirates cookies from your computer and see what the business class fares are from scratch , also you can see if economy is full booked or not

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

what you are being offered is a  seat and cabin experience only

It may be the case that economy is full or overbooked and everyone in economy has been sent the same email

what you should do is clear any Emirates cookies from your computer and see what the business class fares are from scratch , also you can see if economy is full booked or not

Economy is fully booked.

Promotion is 58000 for the whole flight, regular upgrade is 49000 baht for the whole flight.

I always use private browser, so no cookies

5 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Economy is fully booked.

Promotion is 58000 for the whole flight, regular upgrade is 49000 baht for the whole flight.

I always use private browser, so no cookies

So it looks like everyone in Economy has been sent the same email at the end of the day it is easier for Emirates to sell any Economy seats they get from upgrades

Its catch 22 if there is plenty of empty seats in business because no one is upgrading I would expect the upgrade offers to improve price wise

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

So it looks like everyone in Economy has been sent the same email at the end of the day it is easier for Emirates to sell any Economy seats they get from upgrades

Its catch 22 if there is plenty of empty seats in business because no one is upgrading I would expect the upgrade offers to improve price wise

It's an email that everyone receives on every flight, 72 hours before departure.

I was told this at the time of booking that I would receive the offer, I only had expected that it would be cheaper than regular upgrade

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It's an email that everyone receives on every flight, 72 hours before departure.

I was told this at the time of booking that I would receive the offer, I only had expected that it would be cheaper than regular upgrade

If your a person that checks in early you might find a cheaper upgrade offer at the check-in desk

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2051843-email-upgrade-offer-benefits.html

Here is someone that received the email upgrade offer and didn't go for it

but when they were at the check-in desk they were offered a free upgrade to Business class once again Economy was full

https://worldofwanderlust.com/the-truth-behind-how-to-get-a-business-class-upgrade/

example family of 4 want 4 economy seats they have just turn up at the airport on the off chance problem is there are only 3 economy seats available and they will be paying top dollar for these economy seats in this scenario would get double bubble if they can get someone to pay for a business upgrade but they would also come out ahead by offering 1 person a free upgrade

Edited by vinny41
add

19 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Here is someone that received the email upgrade offer and didn't go for it

but when they were at the check-in desk they were offered a free upgrade to Business class once again Economy was full

https://worldofwanderlust.com/the-truth-behind-how-to-get-a-business-class-upgrade/

example family of 4 want 4 economy seats they have just turn up at the airport on the off chance problem is there are only 3 economy seats available and they will be paying top dollar for these economy seats in this scenario would get double bubble if they can get someone to pay for a business upgrade but they would also come out ahead by offering 1 person a free upgrade

I know it happens, but the fact that it was important enough to post on the web, means it is exceptional. So passing on the paid upgrade, and expecting to get a free one is just plain silly.

It's a chance of `1 in 400

We just flew with Etihad, , we still have not come back.

A couple of days before the flight we ot the Upgrade Email, after I figure the final cost, it would had cost us more than if we had purchased a bossiness  class ticket to begging with. Not that I would ever buy one to begin with. 

I did not make my money by being stupid. $1200 for premium economy .

$5,000 for bossiness. $3800 buy me a lot of Gyros in Greece lol. 

Anyway, a few days before the flight I got an email that there was a change in our flight . I looked at it. all the travel times were almost the same,so I assumed the had just changed the flight number for some reason,

Stupid me  , they had added a stop at Mykonos, , anyway not much of a problem, but If I wanted a three stop flight , I could had found a much cheaper flight. I  will never fly with Etihad again.we always fly with Qatar and never an issue.

I hear that Saudi Arabia js starting a premium airline that would compete with Qatar nbd Emirate. I think it will shake things up and perhaps we will have some market coopetition. 

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A couple of days before the flight we ot the Upgrade Email, after I figure the final cost, it would had cost us more than if we had purchased a bossiness  class ticket to begging with.

That is also my experience, if i had booked the complete first leg in business, it would have cost me 30.000 extra.

Now it would cost me 49000 for the same, if I go through manage my booking, or 58000 if I take up their "offer".

Though I'm still considering, because the flat seat sounds very attractive. Having had a good night sleep saves you a day on arrival.

Also, last time I went is 5 years ago, and this may be my very last trip, as I both my parents have passed away now.

38 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I know it happens, but the fact that it was important enough to post on the web, means it is exceptional. So passing on the paid upgrade, and expecting to get a free one is just plain silly.

It's a chance of `1 in 400

I think you missed the key message she was trying to get over

"Airlines don’t throw around upgrades to anyone and everyone who will take them. Upgrades, especially free ones, are a rare occurrence. I have now flown business class a few times and despite the plane being at high occupancy, there have always been oodles of available seats in business class. Put simply, airlines won’t upgrade unless they have to"

I got a free upgrade once from economy to First class and yes they are rare

I tend to fly premium economy now but i always check the seat pitch ( distance between your seat and the seat in Front and they type of seats I prefer the ridged fixed shell seats which means everyone reclines within their own seat you pay for a seat and a defined amount of space and then some moron in front of you takes away 30% of your space by fully reclining their seat

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So anyone familiar with this process with Emirates specifically?

If I don't take up their offer, what are the chances that I can get the upgrade at a lower rate at the check in desk?

Please only personal experiences. Take note, this is first time I fly with Emirates, so I have no miles yet.

If you want to compare Seat pitch and Seat width check out this website and also check what the airline states as sometimes they do change their seat configurations

For  Emirates their 777 seats are wider than the A380 seats

777-300ER seat pitch 60 seat width 20.5

A380-800     seat pitch 48 seat  width 18.5

now if you compare with for example

Gulf Air 

787-8        seat pitch 83 seat width 36.0

Qatar Airways

A380-800 seat pitch 78 seat width 21.5

as far as A380-800 planes Emirates offer the least amount of seat pitch and seat width compare with all other airlines using same aircraft

Similar results for 777-300ER although Emirates seat width is 20.5 compared to 

Etihad seat width 20.0

All headings are sortable

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_business_class.php

Edited by vinny41
add

22 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So anyone familiar with this process with Emirates specifically?

If I don't take up their offer, what are the chances that I can get the upgrade at a lower rate at the check in desk?

Please only personal experiences. Take note, this is first time I fly with Emirates, so I have no miles yet.

I don't think anyone can answer that as it will always come down to different factors on the day of the flight 

The way to look at it if the upgrade offers look good value for money to you then go for it, if you unsure and not really bothered but think if can get another 30% off then wait

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

If you want to compare Seat pitch and Seat width check out this website and also check what the airline states as sometimes they do change their seat configurations

For  Emirates their 777 seats are wider than the A380 seats

777-300ER seat pitch 60 seat width 20.5

A380-800     seat pitch 48 seat  width 18.5

now if you compare with for example

Gulf Air 

787-8        seat pitch 83 seat width 36.0

Qatar Airways

A380-800 seat pitch 78 seat width 21.5

as far as A380-800 planes Emirates offer the least amount of seat pitch and seat width compare with all other airlines using same aircraft

Similar results for 777-300ER although Emirates seat width is 20.5 compared to 

Etihad seat width 20.0

All headings are sortable

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_business_class.php

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Seatguru has not been updated since before Covid?

Anyway, last June I flew economy LHR-DXB in a 380 and then DXB-BKK in a 777, with the reverse on the return two mnths later - the 380 was far more roomy and comfortable.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Qatar crew often can make a fuss and ask to pay a supplement if you use a row of 4 empty seats to sleep during the flight.

Wow, this is so petty. I've flown two dozen airlines in my life and never heard of such a thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Jelli said:
5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Qatar crew often can make a fuss and ask to pay a supplement if you use a row of 4 empty seats to sleep during the flight.

Wow, this is so petty. I've flown two dozen airlines in my life and never heard of such a thing.

Gold with Qatar - flown them a lot. Never once heard of this before - calling rubbish on that info !!!

Silver with Emirates (down graded from gold).

Eco on the 380’s is good on both Emirates & Qatar - better than other airlines & other Aircraft. 

Business on Emirates is generally better unless seated in Qatar Q-suites (only 1 in 4 daily flights DOH-BKK are Q-suites or were at last QR flight 2 months ago). Emirates have the mini-mattress which adds a little extra comfort.  

I last Flew Emirates last week - nearly always get the Promo upgrade email. 

Prices vary throughout the year & from year to year and also on the original Eco ticketing class.

Last Month the upgrade offer was:

- THB 26812 (£591) BKK-DXB

- THB 31281 (£690 ) DXB-BHX
Last week the upgrade offer was:

- £473 (THB 21424) BHX-DXB

- £589 (THB 26636) DXB-BKK

Eco flex ticket was THB 40,000 (return) making a business return trip from upgrades a total off THB 146,000 whereas a ticket Buiness class journey is THB 150,00 perks included (lounge access & chauffeur to & from).

I’ve read that check-in upgrade is often cheaper than online, but have found the opposite. 

When traveling with family I have found flying Eco in the day time & doing a <24hr layover at a hotel near the airport breaks up the journey nicely… we can be in a hotel pool within an hour of touching town (check In baggage straight through).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

So, not being in discomfort for the majority of 13 hours inflight

Having a 1 night DXB layover resolves a lot of that issue… especially if in no particular rush and makes sitting in Eco more tolerable. 

In the summer DXB hotels near the airport are about THB 3000. 

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

FWIW - I barely sleep even in a lie flat seat. Maybe 2 hours maximum and not particularly deep sleep, but still worth it.

Hot tip… decent sleeping pills… 

I swear by em when on business class flat bed seats… (only issue then is the Middle East to Bangkok legs are too short for a full nights sleep !!!). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BenStark said:

Now you are talking first class i guess. Does business class have lay flat seats?

The price for business is 3 times the price for economy. I'm considering it, but if the only benefits are a bit wider seat, and better food, maybe not worth the extra.

Anyway, the point of this topic was that the "promotional" price is 9000 baht more than the regular price. ????

All Emirates business class seats on the long haul routes (DXB-BKK) are 180 degree flat beds & also with a thin 1” mattress which goes on top of the seat to add a little more comfort. 

Price & promos etc vary day by day.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The way to look at it if the upgrade offers look good value for money to you then go for it, if you unsure and not really bothered but think if can get another 30% off then wait

IMO opinion, if you have to pay for it out of own pocket, a business upgrade hardly ever can be considered value for money.

You pay 3 times the price of economy, for some better food, and a flat seat. With 2 about 6 hours flight, I even think it will be difficult to sleep, unless you skip the meals. Flights are too short for that.

My experience is that as of at least several years ago, pretty much every airline offers significant discounts for upgrades at their check-in counter. I know this because I fly with the benefits of an airline worker, and more than once I got booked into Business only to have the seat taken from me at the last moment, by someone who had upgraded at the counter. Sometimes the offers can be remarkably cheap.

After the forced strip searches on women with qatar airlines I would not recommend them or emirates for female travel. 

Quite alarming how even australian female foreign affairs minister didnt even blink an eye. 

The world going more nuts on exponential scale now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1