What's good about the Philippines?

Rawdog is the norm.

More & nicer beaches (8000+ islands!)

Christianity as the national sport is more relatable (even for an atheist like me).

Locals are more culturally relatable to Westerners, especially Muricans.

Slightly cheaper.

English generally somewhat intelligible.

Can't think of anything else except liberal visa policies and easy/inexpensive permanent residency (SRRV).

Otherwise a total s-hole in terms of economic policy, culture of corruption, infrastructure, crappy local cuisine, an absolute lack of pride (yet still thinking their country is somehow "superior") resulting in constant begging if they know you have money, etc etc. -  Failippines.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 10:01 AM, lopburi3 said:

The name change did not change forum from being Thai - and you can prove that with sub forum names and posting numbers if you believe being old negates logic.

Why are you arguing with a make believe member posting with a fake account?  I do not see that as logical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Why are you arguing with a make believe member posting with a fake account?  I do not see that as logical.

Because if we do not respond such comments stand as Google facts on instant social media such as this.   Sad as it is.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I am conducting research on the SRRV long term visa issued by the PRA(Philippines Retirement Authority).  For me the SRRV looks promising.  The SRRV is very different from the Thai Non Imm OA or O.  I am going to Cebu later this year to confirm whether or not I want to pursue the SRRV or not.  

I used to love Cebu but the traffic got to be a complete nightmare so prefer Davao/Bohol & used to visit 6-8 times a year (from SG) when I was dating a FIlipina (8 Years) but when it came to retirement there was no doubt in my mind that it was going to be to Thailand. 

I did look into the SRRV and it's a great program (Wish Thailand's was more like it), if you do decide to check out Davao then there is an SRRV agent that has an office in The Royal Mandaya Hotel (Nice hotel to stay at anyway) that can explain everything to you, I don't think it costs anything to use an Agent so can't hurt to ask. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I used to love Cebu but the traffic got to be a complete nightmare so prefer Davao/Bohol & used to visit 6-8 times a year (from SG) when I was dating a FIlipina (8 Years) but when it came to retirement there was no doubt in my mind that it was going to be to Thailand. 

I did look into the SRRV and it's a great program (Wish Thailand's was more like it), if you do decide to check out Davao then there is an SRRV agent that has an office in The Royal Mandaya Hotel (Nice hotel to stay at anyway) that can explain everything to you, I don't think it costs anything to use an Agent so can't hurt to ask. 

Thanks for the info on the agent.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/21/2023 at 12:56 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Davao is said to be safest city , I walked around even at night ,no one blinked a eye at me .

But like all cities the traffic was busy and I find Rents in Philippines much higher than Thailand.

Even Condo prices to buy are much higher than Thailand especially in Cebu ,looking recently 4 million pesos  for a 26sqm Condo is Cebu !!!! No thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

But like all cities the traffic was busy and I find Rents in Philippines much higher than Thailand.

Likely has a direct relationship with birth rate - there is a much higher demand rather than an oversupply as in Thailand.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Davao is said to be safest city , I walked around even at night ,no one blinked a eye at me .

i wonder why Davao is so safe? 

oh yeah, i remember now.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/06/16/2105923/heres-why-davao-death-squad-was-included-icc-drug-war-probe 

The philipines, a true utopia

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 12:39 PM, Trippy said:

Yep, there's guns everywhere there. Even the guards outside the 7-11's are carrying assault rifles, which makes the whole country seem dangerous. 

Yes, that's what gave me the feeling that it's a very dangerous large country.

Japan, on the other hand, is an ideal place for security, I receive a six-month visa without any problems, three months upon arrival and next three months at the next police station, no documents to fill out only stamp passport.

14 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The only person sleeping here is you...

right. they dont even provide guards with uniforms or shoes that aren't threabare, but they are training them at the range. I know for a fact that the 7-11 across from my condo of three years in BGC, the shotgun didnt even have shells.