Hotel room safe or reception safe ?

observer90210

Definitely reception. I stay in Erawan area and always use the reception safe. It’s in a sealed off buro in a proper safe room.  Personally, I’d never stay in a hotel that doesn’t have one. Where I live 5/6 months a year I rent one. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the comments at this point.

I once forgot my code in a hotel room safe in Spain and of course in a few minutes the room cleaning supervisor came up. she checked my id and opened it with a master keycode badge in a few secs.

I always belive to remain obviously low key in travel  and have some reserve in handing out a bulky enveloppe to the reception staff for storage in the main hotel's safe at reception.

The hide-in-the-luggage is a good idea, provided nobody has managed to get hands on those TSA master keys......

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

if there is too much theft in a hotel, the police would catch on very quickly.

so hotels are probably strict with staff.

would they risk losing their jobs over your stuff? depends on the value i guess. 

nonsense .... please don't try to water down the fact that you can't leave things in safes in hotel rooms in Thailand. They steal it and it's that simple. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

they won't steal everyone's luggage.

the hotels don't want to develop that kind of reputation.

I didn't mention anything about luggage .... it's the safes that are not safe and anything of value in your room.  Don't ever trust the hotel staff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I didn't mention anything about luggage .... it's the safes that are not safe and anything of value in your room.  Don't ever trust the hotel staff.

I wouldn't leave credit cards or cash in a hotel safe. Always take with you. 

But if you go partying at night, you will need to leave the laptop and maybe a bulky camera behind.

So where do you put that stuff? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

In my suitcase in the laundry bag with my dirty underwear and socks :whistling:

I do believe the hotel safe is a better place than the most common limited spaces everyone use who think they do any different than anyone else ????

All depening on what hotel you use of course. 

Countless of travels 20 years in Thailand, and never had an incident so far! With and without any safe. Everything I have is replaceable, so no worries. 

Do not carey anything of value, like watches, cash, or jewelry, and I can delete everything on my lap top with push on a button if they try to connect it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

how the hell do you do that? 

if you google "how to delete your "lap top, Ipad, phone, insert operative system" tablet  if stolen " you will get a guide how to do it. But you have to hook off and register for the option "find my" by using another device you have for an instance your phone 

When staying in BKK and going to exchange a large amount of US $$$$ to Baht, I stay at a Fully Luxury (Named Brand) Hotel where their is a safe deposit box safe with two keys, one that is giving to me and the other key to open in a secure area that I have checked out. That to me is safer than the room safe and I have never encountered a problem. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dan747 said:

When staying in BKK and going to exchange a large amount of US $$$$ to Baht, I stay at a Fully Luxury (Named Brand) Hotel where their is a safe deposit box safe with two keys, one that is giving to me and the other key to open in a secure area that I have checked out. That to me is safer than the room safe and I have never encountered a problem. Just saying.

and the third key ? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1