Ordering an aircon from BigC

mike111

I'm thinking of ordering a 9000BTU aircon from BigC online.

The website (at least its English version) says installation isn't included.

So do they just deliver the box & it's up to customer to find a technician to install it?

or can I pay for installation while ordering?.

Thanks 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

HomePro include fitting in their price.

Thought HomePro were an expensive shop. Dohome I found sold dozens of A/C brands, my LG had free fitting, well worth a look there, if you have one nearby...:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife is good in this stuff... 

After one of our AC's irreparably pooped itself we were looking at HomePro... it turned out the same AC we were choosing was available direct from Samsung including fitting / warranty etc. 

They came and did an excellent job.

But, with the AC in a different room, we've also had a 'local guy' tell us the 'refrigerant line' (whatever its called that carries the cool gas (freon ?) from outdoor compressor unit to indoor fan / ac unit) was leaking...   They'd need to run a new 'refrigerant line'. I disagreed... owner of local company comes. Explains to me that they checked everything else. I want them to re-check, they do... I asked are they sure there is no leak at the compressor (outdoor on 2nd floor, difficult to get to). Owner of company reassures me its the 'refrigerant line' leaking (somewhere inside the walls)... I conceded (knowing little about AC )... they run new exterior pipes to the compressor, drill a 5" hole in the exterior wall to run it through to the compressor etc...  

AC works fine for half a day...  they come back... re-charge the freon. I make them stay and check the pressure an hour later, it's lost pressure. 

They concede, take the compressor unit away with them...  find a leak, repair it for free and re-install the compressor. 

All good - except I've paid for a repair which was never needed, have external ducting I never needed, a 5" hole in the wall I never needed...  and only ever needed a new coil on a compressor unit !!! 

Summary - we're in Thailand !!!...   Its luck when we don't get complete chancer !!!  (this guy was recommended by other people in the moo-baan !!!).

• Sad 2

I think all of ours, except 1 (Sharp) were from HomePro & Mitsubishi units, 3 houses, 10 units (4/4/2) and never an issue, along with competitively prices.

Present 2, inverter (heavy duty) and excellent, using very little electric.  One running almost 24/7, the other 6-8hr a day.

• Like 1

Go to. Big C store and chat to staff. 

Ive bought in store a few times and was offered installation. Sometimes free. Sometimes not. 

My guess they'll get someone for a decent price. 

In Australia install is about 16,000 baht.  So it paid to buy pressure gauges and vaccum pump and do myself.  Its not hard but there is a precise procedure. Youtube shows the way as usual. But in thailand its so cheap. 

Unless you use a local mom and pop shop for the install, the big box stores are usually just using the same contractor/s around Pattaya. 

I know for a fact the same guy does BigC and homepro installs, and the day he worked at one of our properties, was wearing a powerbuy Tshirt.

People are kidding themselves that there are teams of professional licensed installers for each brand and each shop.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

When I got my A/C from the Big One, I was told fitting is 'Free", I asked how long before you can come to fit it? Oh if you take it with you now 2k discount, loaded on my pickup, so when will you come to fit it? We not fit it now we gave you the 2k discount :post-4641-1156694572: got a local guy to fit it 1500b. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, mike111 said:

Given all the aforementioned, any recommendations on shops in Jomtien which would also install the aircon?.

Check out Numchai on Sukhumvit, almost opposite Pattaya Klang junction. 

I've bought a few air cons from them over the years, they have fitted all of them and never had an issue. They are willing to 'deal' an their after sales is OK too. 

https://numchai.com/?___store=english&___from_store=thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Isn't that the whole point of having this website?

Yes & No, but for the OP, we would have to know which Big C it's coming from and their policy.

That's one of those long piece of thread question.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have purchased 2 A/C units in our town(Lam Plai Mat) from the local Elec store, first one was in our first place we got it taken out and moved to our place here, we then purchased a second for the lounge and got that installed, never had a problem and get them cleaned each year

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Check out Numchai on Sukhumvit, almost opposite Pattaya Klang junction. 

I've bought a few air cons from them over the years, they have fitted all of them and never had an issue. They are willing to 'deal' an their after sales is OK too. 

https://numchai.com/?___store=english&___from_store=thailand

Has the OP ( @mike111 )compared prices Big C vs HomePro vs Numchai? If mobile all the stores are very close to each other in Pattaya.

Agree with post above. Had a professional install last year from them and they matched an online advertised price for the unit. They will also tell you exactly what is included in the free install in terms of length of runs of ducting and any electrical work.

Installation will obviously depend on whether replacement or complete new install, house, condo etc and may need a site visit first - which I insisted on due to potential install issues.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mike111 said:

I'm thinking of ordering a 9000BTU aircon from Big C online.

The website (at least its English version) says installation isn't included.

So do they just deliver the box & it's up to customer to find a technician to install it?

or can I pay for installation while ordering?.

Thanks 

In Thailand it is absolutely worthless to buy aircons and white goods at Big C, Makro or Tesco. Buy at local shops instead, even if a few baht expensier, then you have home delivery, and they will upon you ordering it, install it for you...... DONT buy at Big C... worthless..

Edited by glegolo18
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, glegolo18 said:

In Thailand it is absolutely worthless to buy aircons and whiote goods at Big C, Makro and Tesco. Buy at shops instead even if a few baht expensier, then you have home delivery and they will upon you ordering it, install it for you...... DONT buy at Big C... worthless..

What problems did you have buying A/C from BigC....?  ????

1 hour ago, glegolo18 said:

In Thailand it is absolutely worthless to buy aircons and white goods at Big C, Makro or Tesco. Buy at local shops instead, even if a few baht expensier, then you have home delivery, and they will upon you ordering it, install it for you...... DONT buy at Big C... worthless..

That would really depend on which Big C, which brand/model (current) and of course, who is installing it vs price.  

Would hope anyone buying is researching the brand & models available, before just buying of the display.  Read the specs & ratings.

59 minutes ago, mike111 said:

I was thinking of either ordering from BigC online or in-person from the branch of Sukhvmit Road near the Outlet Mall.

Any experience with Haier / LG ?

is it a brand new install or a replacement for an existing?

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Good idea. I did that 12 months ago, and the fitter has just been to clean it, free of charge, and will do so for the next 4 years. That's good service. And the actual unit was only Bht 800 more than on Lazada but included fitting.

Whoever put the SAD emoji, please come on and tell me why, thanks.

• Sad 1