Fears of political betrayal abound as Thaksin plans to touchdown at Don Mueang Airport on Tuesday

webfact

Thaksin was deposed by an army coup; the same generals are still running the country irrespective of the election.  If I were Thaksin I'd continue to enjoy my ill-gotten games in Dubai & fly my friends/family out for frequent visits.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Thaksin was deposed by an army coup; the same generals are still running the country irrespective of the election.  If I were Thaksin I'd continue to enjoy my ill-gotten games in Dubai & fly my friends/family out for frequent visits.

I tend to agree.  The army hs since he was charged been trying to figure out a way to get him behind bars.  

The funniest thing that could happen is that the PT coalition falls flat, Thaksin has to re route his plane to Cambodia and Prawit or Anutin become PM.

the PT will lose a lot of face and will suffer the same faite as the Dems. People backing Thaksin will be upest that they made him look bad.  Many of the redshirt democracy supporters will remember that they went backon ALL their promises and not trust them.

Prawit will be in charge of a government that willnot be able to pass any legislature.

People in the country will be awoken to what the military and it's elite backers are doing to the country.

MFP or what ever the name of the party is will be reqarded for doing what they said and sticking to their guns and also wil get valuable experice as the loyal opossiton shadowing the military government.

Only bad thing is that traffic in major arteries is going to be hell on most fridays.

I doubt the new regime will risk an uprising as a result of a soft coup to have the military remained entrenched as PM and government. The risk of a dynasty caught up with widespread demonstrations that could go beyond anger against the military can't be discounted especially from the younger protesters. History have seen this kind of protests that uprooted the old political structure. I don't think the ultra conservatives would even dare to consider maintaining the old status quo. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Who would want to be a Thai politician.

Predators around every corner.

It would be like lying down in a room full of <add your favourite nasty> (tranatulas, scorpions, centipides, vipers etc.).

Everythings fine until you move!  

20 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Going potentially further, Prayut as Deputy PM (trading places with Prawit) and Minister of Defense (his current alter-ego position). The Senate ideology and constitution remain unchanged.

Don't you think that it would be showing too much contempt for the voter, although I must admit the idea is so brazen as to be funny.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Don't you think that it would be showing too much contempt for the voter, although I must admit the idea is so brazen as to be funny.

The idea maintains the status quo of an elitist minority conservative government and whatever shred of liberalism the PTP represented, it has co-opted with the military to maintain power. 

I wonder what guarantees Thaksin has been given and by whom? He is very exposed to treachery if he is locked up. Prawit has been tipped for the top job ever since before the election so it would be no surprise. But it seems to me that the 'uncles' were brought in to ensure the Senate bought in to Pheu Thai as the leaders, and if they betray that trust Prawit cannot be elected with both Pheu Thai and Mover Forward (and possibly Bumjaithai) resisting them in Parliament. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, retarius said:

I wonder what guarantees Thaksin has been given and by whom? He is very exposed to treachery if he is locked up. Prawit has been tipped for the top job ever since before the election so it would be no surprise. But it seems to me that the 'uncles' were brought in to ensure the Senate bought in to Pheu Thai as the leaders, and if they betray that trust Prawit cannot be elected with both Pheu Thai and Mover Forward (and possibly Bumjaithai) resisting them in Parliament. 

I thought the deal was more likely to be that Thaksin pretends to choose Settha as PM candidate, then after Chuwit's attacks, senators have an excuse to reject him ( the rumblings the last few days).

Then PPP propose Pravit, elected all round including by PT, as payback to allow Thaksin home, with Pravit himself acting as a reliable figurehead for the elite. 

On paper it's a win-win for the old order and Thaksin, supporting each other through mutual benefit,  but lots could go wrong imo  

Clash of personalities, clash of benefits, some mutual loathing beneath the surface, plus public revulsion at the return of the dinosaurs embraced by PT, especially if MF are dissolved.

Pass the sick bag yet again, Alice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

The idea maintains the status quo of an elitist minority conservative government and whatever shred of liberalism the PTP represented, it has co-opted with the military to maintain power. 

Yes, it shows how powerful and clever the establishment is, the majority stands with surprised open mouths while the grinning minority carries off the prize.......it was to be expected after all. Only violence on the streets will show how disappointed the voters are but (1) it wont happen and (2) I'm sure that such a scenario has been anticipated and counter measures are in place.  Strategy is their strong point.  

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Monopoly, Cleudo, Risk, Soccer, Cricket.........please be more specific, thanks.   5555

I am red with embarrassment.  I rely more & more on spell-checkers as my brain cells are drowned in gin (rummy.)

Edited by mikebell

On 8/21/2023 at 9:48 AM, Eric Loh said:

I doubt the new regime will risk an uprising as a result of a soft coup to have the military remained entrenched as PM and government. The risk of a dynasty caught up with widespread demonstrations that could go beyond anger against the military can't be discounted especially from the younger protesters. History have seen this kind of protests that uprooted the old political structure. I don't think the ultra conservatives would even dare to consider maintaining the old status quo. 

One of the constant themes used throughout politics and preached in the education system) in this country is "Thailand is different": "Thai democracy is different", the way in which government works is different ", and so on.

The new regime is going to be the old regime. After a lifetime of preaching, excusing and hearing that "Thailand is different " maybe they believe it.

Maybe they believe that their "forces" (police corrupt to the core) and Army ( couldn't fight sleep) will be adequate to keep them in power?