Thailand’s Digital Minister Seeking Court Order to Shut Down Facebook over Fake Ads and Scams

snoop1130

Best news I have heard today !! Fakebook has caused arguments,kids to suicide because of abuse by their peers,,marrige breakdowns and domestic violence..etc.etc. you name it. It should be banned permantly !! Society will be much better off without all the crap that goes with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Caretaker Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwat Thanakamanusorn stated that his ministry is planning to seek a court order to shut down Facebook in Thailand for allegedly failing to take action on numerous scams, frauds, and fake ads created by users.

If this happens, God forbid, what happens to us living in Thailand using Facebook just for enjoyment and socializing??

Is there a way to be able to access Facebook still within border of Thailand??? i.e. VPN or similar stuff..... How is this going to work, if work at all???

it is a heart-rending social disease - many people lose their life savings. this idiot doesn't recognize it takes 2 to tango.  there are the incredibly ignorant who fall for the scams. You can't make a law against ignorance, nor  greed.  banning FaceBook is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water.  why not set up an easy to access scam hotline. That could identify 90+% of all scams. catch the scammers and jail them as if they're bank/gold shop robbers. no ''get out jail free'' card, until the victims are repaid.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It came in handy for me on Sunday, I thought I had lost my phone and my wife had gone out in the car the only way to contact her was on FB messenger 

did she take the credit cards? has she come home yet? ????

•  

4 hours ago, Martyjustice said:

Next headline, productivity jumps by 150%. 

Next headline :

Zombies wander the street by the thousands, all holding a hand up to their faces in rigid anguish.

Doctors suspect a new virus that affects arm muscles after invading the cerebral cortex. As of this time there is no know cure, only palliative care until the patient expires.

In my eyes, shutting down Facebook is utter nonsense. It makes much more sense to pass a law that would allow Facebook to be fined heavily for publishing fraudulent ads and thereby aiding and abetting fraud.

And if it costs Zuckerberg a lot of money, he reacts quickly.

Edited by snowgard
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Imagine that no Facebook? what would thai people do? the country would grind to a halt, 

No, it is almost at a halt BECAUSE of Farcebook and Tikky Takky, and others.

Simply ban mobile phones!  555

And whoever put the SAD emoji, please note the 555 with which I followed my comment. Come on, own up! 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1

The truth is that the words, ''scams and frauds'' are but euphemism veils to cover the real reason(s) the truth(s).  The fear of assorted entities and people being exposed for their corrupt practices and their distortion of the truth for their own ends etc.

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

Reading the posts it is clear that most people on here have practically no understanding of Facebook. All they can do is trot out the usual negative aspects that exist with all social media. 

So what do I not understand about thousands of Thais being glued to their phones, writing rubbish, and showing what they ate for dinner today?

Come on Alan, tell us all what do YOU use Falsebook for?

Just now, KannikaP said:

So what do I not understand about thousands of Thais being glued to their phones, writing rubbish, and showing what they ate for dinner today?

Come on Alan, tell us all what do YOU use Falsebook for?

I don't use Facebook. Hundreds of businesses in Thailand rely on it though. I thought the thousands of Thais glued to their phones were using LINE? Or is that only when there is a negative topic about LINE?

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 7:44 AM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Caretaker Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwat Thanakamanusorn stated that his ministry is planning to seek a court order to shut down Facebook in Thailand

Beats giving your people an adequate education, and encouraging critical and independent thinking at school and in society... No need to waste money to adapt education to the 21st century. Good plan, Minister!*

*This post may or may not include sarcasm!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Obviously this guy and his cohorts have no clue of what it means to be a "caretaker" official, especially when it comes to this kind of a major, controversial move.

You wanna see a rebellion in Thailand, just try taking away their Facebook. ????

You are spot on Sir!

The way the present crop of politicians have treated the opinions of the people is little more than disgraceful, but the people appear to have accepted it without a murmur - I guess with a kind of apathy. The Government make and change the rules and the Constitution willy nilly - all to their own benefit, and Joe Public just carries on with a kind of disappointed acceptance that they can do nothing to change it - Democracy my a**e!

But take away something that REALLY matters to them - their only source of enjoyment it would seem, and for many of them, apparently their only purpose in life, and methinks the sparks will fly! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

the definition of caretaker seems to have changed since I was last on Earth........a sweeping and controversial move like this wouldn't come under a caretakers remit would it? But hey.....TIT.

Its actually already banned in China because the authorities wanted control so that they could censor what was published and who should BE punished. FB said you're not having it and now its unavailable there.  

I actually think FB should do a whole lot more than it does to keep its members safe though from scammers and BS and virus-infected adverts. . Maybe Mr Musk will seize on this opportunity and kick Zuckerberg where it hurts most. 

Edited by Jackbenimble

4 hours ago, 2baht said:

I don't think Zuck

4 hours ago, 2baht said:

I don't think Zuckerberg gives a toss!

I think if they DID close Facebook down in Thailand he WOULD give a toss - probably toss out the Admin staff who appear to have started this problem!

Just now, sambum said:

I think if they DID close Facebook down in Thailand he WOULD give a toss - probably toss out the Admin staff who appear to have started this problem!

You don't honestly believe they'll shut it down, do you? ???? They vow to do a lot of things, they are very good at vowing and urging! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Fake ads and scams ? Yeah right .

Yeah, right. Facebook accepts and continues to run ads offering thousands of dollars of products (Amazon returns of iPhones, iPads, PS5’s AirPods, laptops, tools for $49.95, including free worldwide shipping. 

You can’t ship a pallet across the street for fifty bucks. It’s an obvious scam but FB allows it and doesn’t care as long as the seller pays for his sponsored ads. 

I don’t expect they’ll shut down FB but it’s a wake-up call that FB can’t support annd promote  obvious and blatant scams.  Facebook was successfully sued in the EU for similar dirty dealings. 

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

You don't honestly believe they'll shut it down, do you? ???? They vow to do a lot of things, they are very good at vowing and urging! :thumbsup:

No I don't - hence the capital letters (Sorry, Admin!) and I agree with your post!

They are also (especially in the case of TAT) very good at "expecting"! And I don't mean the "maternal/mother to be" type of expecting!) 

• Thumbs Up 1