Old age and dying

ArnieP

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is a sad topic.  I am always thinking about my aunties, uncles, old friends, family,  they are all dead .... I'm drinking every night thinking how I never seen them when they were old I should have.  I didn't see them for 20 years or more.  I'm left here alone as they are all dead now.  

It's very sad when your left and they are all dead. 

Then you are wasting your life. Forget about dead people. Talk to the living.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, swm59nj said:

It has to do with what you would like to do with the rest of your life. 
if you just think about waiting for death your rest of your life will be depressing 

Im thinking that it will be a glorious day.  One thing I'm not sure about is that if I want to take spiteful revenge on those that did wrong by me. On one side I think everyone can make mistakes,  and on the other,  evil people don't care about their mistakes and deserve retribution. It will be fun. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I think once you get past 80 then it's a case of one day at a time 

Sad truth we are all going to die 

Go back to OZ I am 76 now my sister is 84 and my granddad died at the age of 110 yes we all die but some sooner or later 

• Thumbs Up 2

My death will happen when it does, I’m more concerned about my quality of life until then…

A friends father passed away 12 months ago aged 90+ hadn’t been to a hospital for 30+ years and was on no medication, he died in his sleep.

Wheras my mother is still going but with dementia, I know which I’d prefer…

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pink Floyd:  The great gig in the sky:

I am not frightened of dying, you know
Any time will do, I don't mind
Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime
I never said I was frightened of dying
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Howard Stern must be old. 

If you are scared of dying, you haven't lived in a good way. 

When I reach 60, I want to renunciate and find the meaning of life/death and hopefully will have a few years more. 

You Sir, are NOT in a position at all to say to people that they have not lived their lifes in a good way.... You do not know, you are too young. Maybe you should be reading and take notes from older people here instead...

• Like 1

My experience of people who is living in the moment, no matter how old they are, have plans and ideas for tomorow and future like the death is not going to happen to them.

Sometimes I wonder, why, and they living in denial, but on the other hand, what a great way to go with no concerns for tomorow! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's the nature of death which could be a slow torture for some and family around them, I'm thinking dimentia and Parkinsons

Yep my mother took a long time to die and I was too young at the time to understand, not for me everyone close to me knows, if I get that bad take me to a country with the happy pill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyBloggs said:

Yep my mother took a long time to die and I was too young at the time to understand, not for me everyone close to me knows, if I get that bad take me to a country with the happy pill.

The trick is to not get that bad.  Like a person who retires just after winning the major trophy,  I plan on exiting while quite capable. Look into the crystal ball. 

I always find it fascinating how people 60 or older are are worried about death. I am 39 and I am not worried at all. Is life that great ? Not really. Is the human condition that great ? I didn't think so. Not at all actually. 

I am doing ok financially for my age but even then, I still have many years to work. Im not particularly looking forward to it. If the plane I was flying in started to crash, I would be indifferent. It is all a meaningless exercise anyway. 

What are you worried about missing ?  I really dont understand what motivates , people. I know older ppl with weight problems, income problems and stuff. Yet they are worried about dying and happy to be alive. I respect it in a way. But I just don't understand it. Why not just be indifferent or almost look forward to your retirement ? The real retirement ? The real rest. 

Edited by Harsh Jones

Just now, actonion said:

If you're living in Pattaya or thereabouts  the dying of old age  or  an illness  should'nt be  a worry,   but crossing the road and breathing the  dirty air  should be

True Night mare, being  sick and dying alone in Thailand! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

A 20yo should take life 1 day or 1 week at a time too. Worrying about 5 years from now doesn't do anything. 

If you do good each week then the future takes care of itself.

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

80 in 2 weeks time .....But,  that's my philosophy now that I have been diagnosed (recently) with a heart problem.

A monk told this story, that he was meditating in darkness in a cave one night, when he heard a scuffling noise, so picked up his flashlight and turned it on. The light hit on a cobra in strike pose, and he could almost see the snake deciding whether or not to attack, causing a most excruciating death. The monk's response was to spread loving kindness all around and after doing this for an interminable time, the snake relaxed and decided to go on his way. 

Which is when the monk noticed that despite his calm mental attitude and his ability to show loving kindness in the most adverse of circumstances, his body was shaking and that went on for a long time afterwards. We might think we're not frightened of death, but our bodies know otherwise.

My mother held onto life, until she overheard a nurse saying that she (my mother) would never walk again, at which point she decided to give up. But I think her clinging onto life was more about the fact that she had never really lived it -- she was a good wife and mother, but she had never lived her own life, had never really done her own thing. I think it's easier to let go of life if you have lived a full one, a la Bangkok Barry's post above. All the more reason to cherish every moment. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm about to reach 75, so obviously my days are numbered. But, apart from stiffening up a bit (sadly no longer in the right place) I'm healthy enough. Most of my family lived well into their 80s (the exception is my father who died of cigarettes at 66) so I've probably got a while to go, but I'll have no regrets when the time does come. I've lived a pretty incredible life and have few, if any, regrets. Who could ask for more?

I have driven across the Golden Gate Bridge and Tower Bridge, and walked across Sydney Harbour Bridge and Brooklyn Bridge.
I have shopped on Fifth Avenue and the Champs-Elysees.
I have flown across America in a private jet with Steffi Graf and taken care of Anna Kournikova in Thailand.
I have walked across a frozen river in Finland and seen reindeer walk past my window on Christmas Day.
I have flown on Concorde from New York to London, and in a hot air balloon in Albuquerque and Eastbourne.
I have stayed at the Hotel California in Santa Monica and visited the salt flats of Death Valley. 
I have been to the top of New York’s World Trade Center and ascended the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
I have strolled the boardwalk at Coney Island and trodden the sand of Cottesloe Beach in Perth.
I have grown up in London, and grown older in Bangkok.
I have been inside St Basil’s Cathedral in Red Square and the Sistine Chapel in Rome.
I have had Christmas Lunch on a boat on the Brisbane River, and spent New Year’s Eve fighting the crush of revellers in Bangkok.
I have ridden the Star Ferry in Hong Kong, and the Staten Island Ferry in New York.
I have written for the London Times and the Sydney Morning Herald.
I have slept in a field in Yorkshire without a tent, and in the Shangri-La in Beijing.
I have managed record stores, and managed a band.
I have passed Mohammed Ali off Times Square and seen legendary British actor Arthur Lowe queuing for a bus in Shaftesbury Avenue.
I have attended a First Night on Broadway and seen Bob Dylan go electric in London.
I have sailed across Auckland Harbour and jogged around the harbour in Wellington.
I have drunk a Singapore Sling in Raffles and Naked Ale at Young & Jackson’s in Melbourne.
I have ridden the train from London to Moscow and driven across the Everglades from Miami to Naples.
I have been to Venice in Italy and Venice Beach in California.
I have ridden a cable car in San Francisco, and a cable car to the top of Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain.
I have been a disc jockey around London, and on the Arctic Circle in Finland.
I have shopped at the Khalifa Tower in Dubai and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumper.
I have explored the streets of Berlin when it was two cities and when it is one.
I have strolled the narrow streets of Soho in London and of Shinjuku in Tokyo.

I'd quite like to go up in an airship and cross the Atlantic on Queen Mary 2, but I can't complain. I'll fade away with a smile (unless I'm killed in a car accident here).

Good for you. We all count our memories and achievements in different ways, according to what we love doing.

At 80 yo, I know death is not all that far off. I prefer to focus on living.

• Thumbs Up 2