Misled by phishing email (was £10,000 for a tourist visa now?)

So guys i don't know what im doing. I have now received a message on E visa asking for more information. I was on the phone from 9 am till 10 am, then 10am  till 12.00, then got cut off, no one answered, then this afternoon from 2pm till 4pm hung on no-one answered again. Tried to open the request from E visa who told me to answer through an email they sent and guess what .. no email. 

So no email. wont answer the phone, got someone trying to access my bank details, got a visa application that maybe maybe not need extra info and i cant talk to a sodding person. 

This is terrible service even by Thai standards

Oh forgot have two real intelligent numpties saying im trying be a scammer, real class.

Edited by ewelve
addition
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

He's saying that maybe someone is trying to scam YOU, not the other way around.

@BritTimhas suggested there may be data leaks in the Thai e-visa system.

If thats the case i deeply apologise, my head is just about exploding. I did what they asked and look at the crap im under. Its a damn farce its a cartoon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, ewelve said:

If thats the case i deeply apologise, my head is just about exploding. I did what they asked and look at the crap im under. Its a damn farce its a cartoon. 

Nobody is calling you a scammer. You are likely the victim of a phishing email. You are obviously in some distress and advise you to cancel this visa application. Create a new account with another email address and apply again. Don’t send them any Thai bank statements, just send a UK one with your home address, your accommodation details and a return flight 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I have always assumed that the system was vulnerable. In this case, the leaked data is limited (only the email addresses of those who made applications which might be sniffed in a number of ways that are not really the fault of e-visa themselves). The scammers do not even seem to know which type of visa is being applied for.

I have no doubt it’s vulnerable, remember the farce with the vaccine sign up for falang where you could see other people’s applications? 

1 hour ago, ewelve said:

Man you are a horrible individual, its people like you that put people off asking for help on forums like this. Im not a damn scammer i not capable for a start and dont want to for a second. The reason i have a Thai bank account, although its sod all to do with you, is i try to take advantage of the rate exchange, perhaps you could get a very small young infant to explain that to you.

Sorry but you can’t be helped. It’s none of my business by you have a Thai bank account, but it’s a red flag to the consular section. They want to know you are a UK resident that is just visiting Thailand for tourism purposes and you have given them a massive reason to doubt that (voluntarily) 

phoning them up to argue this point will do you no good whatsoever, but not doubt you will ignore all other advice here and continue to do just that. 

2 hours ago, ewelve said:

No thats not true the visa process wants copies of your visa stamps in and out of the country they can see where you dont stay IE: Thailand

Correct. This is what the list of requirements for a tourist visa application says on the website of the Thai embassy in London:

10. All travel records for the past 12 months (1 year) since the last international trip. 

- International travel record over the past 12 months from the application date. 

A copy of the passport pages covering the past 12 months seems indeed the most logical way to provide these records.

• Like 1

Regarding financial evidence, the following is what the website says (but readers beware, the e-visa application process may state a different requirement):

6. Financial evidence, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter.      

- Your recent official UK/Ireland bank statement shows your name, address, and a minimum closing balance of £500 (Do not send the screenshot) , proof of earnings (payslips) or sponsorship letter from your sponsor with official ID and their Bank Statements.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

I just wasted 10 minutes reading through this thread and only learned that the OP is the victim of phishing scam. Wouldn't it be a good idea to change the title of the thread to stop others wasting their time? You obviously don't need £10,000 for a tourist visa.

Yeah, it’s just a screw up. 

4 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Regarding financial evidence, the following is what the website says (but readers beware, the e-visa application process may state a different requirement):

Isn’t that for a Non-B?

2 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Yeah, it’s just a screw up. 

Isn’t that for a Non-B?

It is for the "Tourist Single Entry Visa". Here is the link to the corresponding page on the website of the Thai embassy in London once more:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-single-entry-visa

9 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It is for the "Tourist Single Entry Visa". Here is the link to the corresponding page on the website of the Thai embassy in London once more:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-single-entry-visa

I got a single entry TV just over two months ago and they required only a bank statement with my UK address on it.

Must mean you have to provide one of those things 

Edited by FridgeMagnet1

12 hours ago, ewelve said:

Nothing matches now bud, her passport Id are now different, well her Thai passport i should of said her UK one is still in my family name. Thanks byt the way for trying to help.

Ive just been informed that the email i was sent is a scam a phishing email. I only applied yesterday afternoon how the heck did they operate so fast?

I would of fallen for it too if it wasn't for BritTim on here, wow I'm glad he's here

so it is a matter of her name not matching her name
not your surnames not matching
when next in Thailand it would probably be worth getting her to get all new ID/passport
and get updated/new marriage cert,
even if divorcing and remarrying (sometimes the hard way is the easy way lol)
or she could simply change her name back to your surname and get new ID/passport
then you will be good for marriage visa

Edited by patman30

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

OP is applying for an METV.

Financial requirement for the METV.

5. Financial evidence, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter (current balance not less than 200,000 THB for the past 6 months).    
          - Your recent official UK/Ireland bank statement shows your name, address, and a minimum closing balance of £5,000 (Do not send the screenshot) , proof of earnings (payslips) or sponsorship letter from your sponsor with official ID and their Bank Statements.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-multiple-entries-visa

15 hours ago, ewelve said:

Cheers Regyai but cant do that mate, im staying until April next year. This is getting to be a bit messy. My Thai wife of 30 years was told by her Amphur to change her name back to her maiden name or lose her land. she did and now i cant get marriage visa's because our names are not the same. 

Im an old Thailand hand but it seems to me that its just getting that bit silly now with all the regulations changing for the worse just about daily

I never had a problem with my wife having a different surname, when applying for a marriage visa, either at the Thai Embassy in London, the Consulate in Cardiff, or at the Consulate in Savannakhet. In fact my wife changed her first name one year on the advice of a monk, and the fellow at the Consulate just said she was being silly!

Edited by herfiehandbag

I'm sympathetic to the OP because I've had similar issues of tiny details causing hours of frustration. 

I'd suggest hiring a visa agent in your location and let them fight the fight for you.  It's their business to know exactly what the Consulate requires, and to wait in the queues for you (instead of you being on hold for hours).

I usually paid about $100 for the service in the USA.  Well worth it on those occasions that it didn't go smoothly.  I gave them the documentation they specified, they checked it and asked for clarifications and a few days later, my passport would show up with the visa.  I always chose to pick mine up in person, but they also offered Fed-Ex delivery for a few dollars more.

Shameless plug to anyone needing visa services in Texas:  I've been very happy with VIP Passport Services in Houston.  I have no affiliation with them other than being a very satisfied customer on several occasions.  Mods, feel free to delete that plug if it violates any rules.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

im staying until April next year. This is getting to be a bit messy. My Thai wife of 30 years was told by her Amphur to change her name back to her maiden name or lose her land. she did and now i cant get marriage visa's because our names are not the same. 

What was she doing at the Amphur for an official to suggest such.

Any name on her land title deeds are nothing to do with the Amphur, that's a matter for the Land Registry office.

Assuming you married in Thailand, you would have both received a marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) and a marriage registration certificate (Kor Ror 2).
Both of these documents will state her maiden name.
If she then chose to take your surname, an additional procedure after marriage, she would have been issued an official name change certificate, for which she can then apply for a new ID card and change her name in her Tabien Baan.
You then take those documents to the Land Registry office, where they will note the change of surname on the Title deeds.

That is exactly what my Thai wife did.
It sounds as though your wife didn't complete the procedures for change of surname on all documentation, hence she ran into a problem.

If it was indeed a grumpy individual at an Amphur office that gave her advice, it was incorrect.
He should have advised her to take her ID card, Tabien Baan and certificate of name change to the Land Registry office, to register her change of surname on the Title Deeds.

RE, your Visa woes;
You could have applied for the Non O visa to visit Thai spouse.
Her (maiden) surname on the marriage certificate would also match her ID if she changed her name back.
If her surname on her ID is different to that on the marriage certificate, then you submit the certificate of change of name, which identifies her original maiden name and her new surname.

You could alternatively enter VE (visa exempt), which grants 30 days on entry, which can be extended for a further 30 days on the basis of tourism, then a further 60 days to visit Thai spouse. A further option is to enter VE, then apply for a change in status to Non Immigrant (O) at your local Immigration office.
You stated you had 320,000 Baht in a Thai bank account. The financial requirement is 400,000 Baht, just transfer another 80,000 Baht to your Thai bank account.
You then also qualify to apply for a 1-year extension of stay, with 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account.

59 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Financial requirement for the METV.

5. Financial evidence, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, sponsorship letter (current balance not less than 200,000 THB for the past 6 months).    
          - Your recent official UK/Ireland bank statement shows your name, address, and a minimum closing balance of £5,000 (Do not send the screenshot) , proof of earnings (payslips) or sponsorship letter from your sponsor with official ID and their Bank Statements.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-multiple-entries-visa

Yes, I know but thanks anyway.

I though that but its just getting insane with every official getting into the "Im important i can make the rules that i like" syndrome, it wasnt even a up country back water it was Samut Prakarn

They speak nonsense as they don't know the rules but would never, ever, admit to that. Common with immigration matters when IO demands whatever. The problem is that they hold all the cards and if they say jump then you jump.

It isn't unusual for Thais to keep their maiden name after marriage, as far as I know. The whole world doesn't follow what we do. Another example is that some Indonesians have just one name. But the damage is done and she has changed her name. I assume your wife does has details of the marriage - can she change back to her married name?

As for the demand for proof of 10,000 pounds, send them the info that a poster above helpfully supplied showing what the real, rather than imagined, requirements are. On the subject of not being able to print bank statements, that is also nonsense. I check my HSBC account each month, do a screen print (using Windows 11) and save it for if ever I need it.

16 hours ago, ewelve said:

My Thai wife of 30 years was told by her Amphur to change her name back to her maiden name or lose her land. she did and now i cant get marriage visa's because our names are not the same. 

That is incorrect. When your wife changed her name she would have been issued with name change document(s). You would need to get that translated and submit with the marriage certificate when applying for Non O based on marriage.

My wife changed her name and I got a non O from London embassy this time last year without any problem. I didn't use the KR2 but it wouldn't do any harm to include it.

17 hours ago, Regyai said:

Which is why God created 'rent a tickets' (https://onewayfly.com/   and countless others)

Ahh yes the grand old days of yearly Non Imm -O's on tap from Cardiff (and other consulates) - simpler times.

BTW its never about progress only control and oppression

Am not remotely concerned about control and oppresion per se and also was aware of these websites

However even that website makes the point its a "reservation" and not an out and out ticket and goes on to say it will satisfy "most" embassies whilst applying for a visa

We're not talking about a Visa we're talking about a snarling ground handling check in assistant who recognises exactly what she or he is looking at someone who is looking to game the system

I dont fancy being 24 hours from wheels up on a 6 month trip with a fake ticket

I'll sort the proper visa....I was going to wait towards end of September but will crunch the application next week.

Edited by Chivas

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They speak nonsense as they don't know the rules but would never, ever, admit to that. Common with immigration matters when IO demands whatever. The problem is that they hold all the cards and if they say jump then you jump.

It isn't unusual for Thais to keep their maiden name after marriage, as far as I know. The whole world doesn't follow what we do. Another example is that some Indonesians have just one name. But the damage is done and she has changed her name. I assume your wife does has details of the marriage - can she change back to her married name?

As for the demand for proof of 10,000 pounds, send them the info that a poster above helpfully supplied showing what the real, rather than imagined, requirements are. On the subject of not being able to print bank statements, that is also nonsense. I check my HSBC account each month, do a screen print (using Windows 11) and save it for if ever I need it.

Thanks for the imput Barry, i cant get round to thanking everybody but i am thankful. I am glad that you understand the Thai way in all this. I understand the rules bud but its the individuals on the day that say Yeh or Neh.

The immigration in Chiang Rai and the Amphur's office in Samut Prakarn are wrong now im sure about name change but what can i do? Argue? If you are an old hand in Thailand you know they would rather cut off their genitals that admit a mistake.

It is 60,000 baht for a multiple entry tourist visa for sure their own web site says it but if you read the email sent to me it says £10,000. A great guy on here Brit Tim told me its a scam and thinking about it im sure hes right but i cant get through to the damn Embassy to tell them or check. I sent the visa office an email and guess what? They said it would take between 10 and 15 days to get back to me.

Today im on the phone again, the line is dead until 9.oo am prompt then i get im number 14 in the queue how does that work out?

The whole thing is a farce bud is it any wonder Vietnam and Cambodia are the new places to go? Yesterday i was on the phone 9am till 10 am then cut off no answer then 10am till 11.59 am cut off no answer then 2pm till 4pm cut off no answer.

Today 9am till 9.27am (so far) and still number 14 in the queue

Edited by ewelve
addition
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ewelve said:

My Thai wife of 30 years was told by her Amphur to change her name back to her maiden name or lose her land. she did and now i cant get marriage visa's because our names are not the same. 

Putting aside the issue of the phishing email, as an ex lawyer, I am deeply concerned about these two acts of administrators that have caused you harm.

The first act appears to be a clear case of misfeasance. The second administrator's act is a further harm from the first act.

My understanding of Thai law is that you have 90 days to use the administrative courts to compel the public officials to carry out their lawful duties. Act now. Seek out a lawyer.

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

<snip>   I'll sort the proper visa....I was going to wait towards end of September but will crunch the application next week.

Be careful you don't get it too soon - I believe there is a limit on how long you can hold the visa before travelling.

23 hours ago, ewelve said:

Wrong bud, i went to the office in Chiang Rai for an extension and was told no and i wont get another marriage visa because the surnames dont match.

Look guys i know what its like i been living in Thailand fo 25 years now in the UK as my wife has cancer but i am experienced enough to know that there is no-one with enough experience when it comes to rules and regs in Thailand, its a daily guys mood that rules

I don't think anyone can disagree with this. There are rules and regulations. But then they mean nothing as everyone seems to be making up their own rules. Still, with your marriage certificate (were you married in Thailand or abroad? I don't know which would be accepted, international version or the registration in Thailand... but with that you should be able to apply for Non-Immigrant (O) visa to visit your wife. They don't have any such requirements to my knowledge. Can you try that?

As for statement - if you really need it - walk to bank branch and tell them you need statement printed out and stamped by the bank. They can't reject that.