Non O-A extension or better options

Hi,
We've been residing in Bangkok under the Non-OA visa since 2016, which is set to expire in December 2023.

I understand that the Non-OA visa can be renewed up to 45 days before its expiration, requiring a balance of 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for two months prior to renewal. Additionally, we are aware of the need to purchase Thai immigration-approved health insurance, with coverage of 400,000 Baht for inpatient and 40,000 Baht for outpatient services.

Anyone who have knowledges or experiences about it kindly advise:
if these requirements remain unchanged or if there have been any recent updates?
We are also interested in exploring any potential alternatives to the Non-OA visa, such as converting to a Non-O visa.
Any guidance and details on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

13 minutes ago, Lim Yuan Hai said:

We are also interested in exploring any potential alternatives to the Non-OA visa, such as converting to a Non-O visa.
Any guidance and details on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Exit Thailand without reentry permit killing off your current permission of stay.

Reenter visa exempt and obtain Non O retirement at Thai immigration office.

For the non O application you need 800k in bank on day of application.

The financial requirements for annual extensions are the same as extensions for non O-A with no insurance requirements. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Exit Thailand without reentry permit killing off your current permission of stay.

Reenter visa exempt and obtain Non O retirement at Thai immigration office.

For the non O application you need 800k in bank on day of application.

The financial requirements for annual extensions are the same as extensions for non O-A with no insurance requirements. 

Can you provide information on:

- The number of trips and duration needed for a Non-O visa at the Thai immigration office.

- Additional requirements besides having 800K in the bank. Is a letter from a Thai bank or a bank statement needed?

- The comparative ease and speed of obtaining a Non-O visa at the Thai embassy in Laos versus Thailand. Also, the requirements at the Thai embassy in Laos.

Thank you for your help.

37 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

My understanding of the insurance requirements for the O-A increased to 3 million baht not the 400K that you have stated. I think the increase was in September of 2022 so a bit surprised if you did an extension in December of last year that you did not have to have the 3 million coverage.

I left Thailand with no re-entry permit to kill off my O-A due to the increase in insurance requirements and am now on a Non-Imm-O.

I think you are right, I can’t remember it.

If it's relevant to you, could you please share your experience regarding:

1. The number of visits and the time required to obtain a Non-O visa at the Thai immigration office.
  2. Any additional prerequisites aside from maintaining 800K in the bank. Is a letter from a Thai bank or just a bank statement necessary?
  3. Your insights on the ease and speed of securing a Non-O visa at the Thai embassy in Laos compared to Thailand, as well as any specific requirements at the Thai embassy in Laos.

Thank you so much.

17 minutes ago, deptrai said:

According to this video, the health insurance requirements for a Non Immigrant O-A visa are $100,000 US dollars (not 3 million Baht or 3.5 million Baht or anything Baht) in-patient care and 45,000 Baht out-patient care.

Strange. My stamped insurance letter said it fulfilled all the requirements for the O-A but it only listed an inpatient amount. Maybe I got lucky at the airport they did not check closely.

2 hours ago, Lim Yuan Hai said:

Can you provide information on:

- The number of trips and duration needed for a Non-O visa at the Thai immigration office.

- Additional requirements besides having 800K in the bank. Is a letter from a Thai bank or a bank statement needed?

- The comparative ease and speed of obtaining a Non-O visa at the Thai embassy in Laos versus Thailand. Also, the requirements at the Thai embassy in Laos.

Thank you for your help.

You make the application which is taken under consideration. You are typically asked to report back about three weeks later, for the visa and 90-day permission to stay. During the last 30 days of the initial 90-day stay, you apply for the first one-year extension.

The bank provides some documents for Immigration. Branches near the Immigration office know the process. (any branch can do it.) If the funds have only recently been deposited, you must provide proof that the money came from abroad, but I assume this does not apply to you.

Getting the visa in Savannakhet is pretty easy. Just a bank passbook showing 800,000+ baht in a Thai bank will suffice. You can also show proof of funds abroad, though that will be scrutinised more closely. The advantage of Savannakhet is you get the visa the next day. The disadvantage is that you must travel there, and Savannakhet is definitely not as interesting a place to visit as, say, Luang Prabang.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lim Yuan Hai said:

I think you are right, I can’t remember it.

If it's relevant to you, could you please share your experience regarding:

1. The number of visits and the time required to obtain a Non-O visa at the Thai immigration office.
  2. Any additional prerequisites aside from maintaining 800K in the bank. Is a letter from a Thai bank or just a bank statement necessary?
  3. Your insights on the ease and speed of securing a Non-O visa at the Thai embassy in Laos compared to Thailand, as well as any specific requirements at the Thai embassy in Laos.

Thank you so much.

I went to Vientiane Laos to kill off my O-A and got my new Non-Imm-O while there. I found it a really simple process there.  Applied and received the visa 2 days later.

You need to make an appointment to apply for the visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane. I would review the embassy webpage for the requirements but if I recall correctly I had the following.

Passport

Application

Passport photos

Bank Letter that I got the day before flying to Lao

Copy of my passport

Copy of my Lao Visa and entry stamp

2,000 Baht

• Thanks 1