US congratulates Thailand’s new PM

webfact

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What else could they have said?

Congratulations to the Thai army for hijacking the election? 

We welcome anything that can pass for a democracy, in SE Asia? 

Reform and people power is not really our game either, so good move? 

they could of said all of these things and so much more. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

What else could they have said?

Congratulations to the Thai army for hijacking the election? 

We welcome anything that can pass for a democracy, in SE Asia? 

Reform and people power is not really our game either, so good move? 

Hardly, the Army are aligned with China traditionally or no allegiance - friends of everyone.

Future forward are aligned with the US, the new PM is distinctly aligned with the US.

25 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Hardly, the Army are aligned with China traditionally or no allegiance - friends of everyone.

Future forward are aligned with the US, the new PM is distinctly aligned with the US.

We don't know where his alignments are, who he will be taking orders from, or how he will govern. He has no experience. We don't know who he is, really. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The United States has congratulated Srettha Thavisin on his appointment as the new prime minister of Thailand, saying it wants to strengthen the bilateral relationship further.

I thought the US had previously voiced hopes for a democratic outcome of the election.

I guess they settled for less.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I thought the US had previously voiced hopes for a democratic outcome of the election.

What choice they have , soon Chinese subtitles in film at Thai cinema 

2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

SMH.....congratulating another iteration of the same Junta (UTN, PPRP, Senators) that stole power?! Blinken is either woefully ignorant, or willfully obtuse.

You have a better idea than to appease China 

3 hours ago, pomchop said:

He could have said:  "We understand what it is like to have people defy the will of the voters and try to stay in power....happened to us very recently."

But 'the people' don't care.  My Thai family shrug their shoulders and get on with life.  They know nothing much changes here and they don't care enough to make a fuss about it.  As I have said on here before, people get the government and leaders that they are prepared to put up with.  Move on, nothing to see here.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What do you want the US to do?  Already most of the world hates them for being the policemen of the world.

28 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Already most of the world hates them for being the policemen of the world.

nonsense .....  many countries are quite happy and content that the US is a strong leadership country.   Could you just imagine how things would go if everywhere was allowed to run a muk and do as they please. 

Some one needs to be the policeman,  and the US does an excellent job imo.

Edited by steven100

3 hours ago, koolkarl said:

The US  doesn't want its products banned from Thailand.  Everything revolves around money.

yes .....  probably international trade is important,  however I'm quite sure the US are aware that the new government & Thaksin returning is an organized charade fit for a circus,   but they know that Thailand is in bed with China so they won't gain anything by telling them their democracy and government is all smoke and mirrors.

2 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

But 'the people' don't care.  My Thai family shrug their shoulders and get on with life.  They know nothing much changes here and they don't care enough to make a fuss about it.  As I have said on here before, people get the government and leaders that they are prepared to put up with.  Move on, nothing to see here.  

exactly, as I said in another post ... Thai people don't care who runs or what rules or anything government,  because they know it doesn't make a scrap of difference,    this charade with Thaksin proves they do as they like.

• Like 1