How do I donate my body to a medical school?

OUAT41

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

Contact your nearest government hospital.

A guy up here in the NE died suddenly a year ago. No money for funeral. The local hospital was approached who then passed it onto the larger government hospital. It was approved. After the medical school had finished with the remains they are cremated. Good luck.

Hospitals / teaching hospitals have different policies / re possible uses of deceased bodies:

- Transplants, but subject to age and medical condtion of the deceased  / the organs involved.

- Ongoing medical research, but subject to the 'quality of the remains', perhaps won't accept all bodies.

- Dissection training / surgery skills training

- More... 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Hospitals / teaching hospitals have different policies / re possible uses of deceased bodies:

- Transplants, but subject to age and medical condtion of the deceased  / the organs involved.

- Ongoing medical research, but subject to the 'quality of the remains', perhaps won't accept all bodies.

- Dissection training / surgery skills training

- More... 

yes. I agree with all your comments. Best the OP gets the criteria from the hospital he asks at.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ezzra said:

You read all sorts of strange and weird posts in this forum, but this has to take the cake.

nothing weird ablut that ... 

i contacted the government hospital because i would like to donate my organs in the event

of my passing. unfortunately, there seems to be an age limit (50 ?). therefore, i have decided

to donate my body to the medical school. i always carry my donation card with me ...

20230824.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I did some research on this and found (in typical Thai fashion) that unless your body is more or less in pristine condition, they don’t want it. No cancer, no missing organs such as gall bladder or prostate. I thought I had found a way to avoid the high cost of being cremated, but I was wrong. There’s always a catch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBrad said:

In December a mass cremation ceremony is held at Wat Latthiwan (Wat Kon Tan : วัดลัฎฐิวัน วัดขอนตาล) along the Ping River near Mae Rim.

.... and in the West they call them wildfires.

Some posters questioning the validity of the OP's enquiry. Why?

Only point I would make is that few outlets will want bodies of the age of most of these readers.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I did some research on this and found (in typical Thai fashion) that unless your body is more or less in pristine condition, they don’t want it. No cancer, no missing organs such as gall bladder or prostate. I thought I had found a way to avoid the high cost of being cremated, but I was wrong. There’s always a catch.

Seems that if the person died of a cause/disease that is under serious research then they will often take the body. But that's special circumstances.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jelli said:

I don't believe you can. I think there are issues with both being over 50 as well as being a foreigner. In fact I had read this sometime in the past on this forum

Maybe, but apparently there are exceptions, based on what exactly, I don't know.  The cadaver that I referred to above was definitely a foreigner, and definitely well over 65.  As for me, I'm an old foreigner; my application was accepted and I was issued a donor card. 

• Thanks 2

I wonder if somebody would explain the practicalities of body donation, i.e., okay, the foreigner died and the body

sits in the hospital morgue.  What's next? 

[Would note that typically what's required for release of a body from the morgue is (1) police approval (which will be promptly given provided there are no strange death circumstances), (2) authorization letter from you embassy/consulate (for a US citizen, that authority would be given to who you've named in a valid Will, your named executor, or whoever they find via their "next-of-kin" search); and (3) payment of hospital/morgue expenses.

I'm also guessing that whoever the embassy/consulate authorizes release of the body to must also choose to honor the body donation.. right?]

Edited by CMBob

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

I wonder if somebody would explain the practicalities of body donation, i.e., okay, the foreigner died and the body

sits in the hospital morgue.  What's next? 

[Would note that typically what's required for release of a body from the morgue is (1) police approval (which will be promptly given provided there are no strange death circumstances), (2) authorization letter from you embassy/consulate (for a US citizen, that authority would be given to who you've named in a valid Will, your named executor, or whoever they find via their "next-of-kin" search); and (3) payment of hospital/morgue expenses.

I'm also guessing that whoever the embassy/consulate authorizes release of the body to must also choose to honor the body donation.. right?]

Acceptance of your cadaver is 'subject to available space'. If the medical school already have a full freezer your kind offer would be declined. Also, there are time limits for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

"(in typical Thai fashion)"    How does that fit into this story?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2