Pictures with or without wearing glasses?

I have prescription glasses and I used to wear them all the time.

Now I wear them sometimes.

Today I was at the immigration, and they wanted some pictures. I gave them new pictures - with me wearing glasses.

They compared it to my passport - no glasses.

They didn't like that, and they send me to take a new picture without glasses.

No problem, it was done in 10 minutes, because there was a "photographer" in the building.

But I wonder if that problem could also happen in an embassy or some other official place.

Do you have experience with that?

Maybe for the future I should carry two sets of pictures. One with and one without glasses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

I felt that this website gives good details on the issue.

https://visafoto.com/thailand/visa-photo

Thanks.

Quote from that page:

Can I wear glasses in my Thailand visa photo?
For applicants wearing glasses daily, it is compulsory to take pictures with glasses without tinted glasses. The frame of the glasses must not cover the eyes.

My glasses are slightly tinted. So I guess just that is reason enough to remove them.

I guess in the future I will have all official pictures without glasses to keep it consistent.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks.

Quote from that page:

Can I wear glasses in my Thailand visa photo?
For applicants wearing glasses daily, it is compulsory to take pictures with glasses without tinted glasses. The frame of the glasses must not cover the eyes.

My glasses are slightly tinted. So I guess just that is reason enough to remove them.

I guess in the future I will have all official pictures without glasses to keep it consistent.

Yes easier to remove them infront of any zealous immigration chap then having to do it the other way.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Today I was at the immigration, and they wanted some pictures. I gave them new pictures - with me wearing glasses.

No problem, it was done in 10 minutes, because there was a "photographer" in the building.

But I wonder if that problem could also happen in an embassy or some other official place.

Maybe for the future I should carry two sets of pictures. One with and one without glasses. 

Sounds like the scam that used to go on when wives/girlfriends were applying for a UK visa.  A guy used to walk up and down the queue asking to check people's photos.  He would tell almost everyone that their photos were not good enough or didn't comply with the requirements - but never mind, there's a photo shop downstairs that will do it for you immediately. Oh how fortunate ????.

My gf at the time came outside saying she needed to get new photos because hers had the wrong background colour.  I told her to go get back in the queue - there was nothing wrong with her photos - she did and her application was accepted.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Typical Thai Immigration:  Different offices, different rules.  US passports are no-glasses.  However, I'm blind as a bat.  I've always used 4x6 pictures while wearing glasses for my TM-7 submissions.  Never had a problem in Chiang Mai or Korat districts.  But with Thai Immigration?  Nothing surprises me anymore.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yep its been my experience with 2 passports, my Thai retirement visa, Thai & Oz drivers licenses, International drivers permit, never allowed to wear glasses. Always asked across the globe to remove glasses for I.O. to use facial recognition software, and for I.O. to visually check against passport hard copy pic.

16 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Sounds like the scam that used to go on when wives/girlfriends were applying for a UK visa.  A guy used to walk up and down the queue asking to check people's photos.  He would tell almost everyone that their photos were not good enough or didn't comply with the requirements - but never mind, there's a photo shop downstairs that will do it for you immediately. Oh how fortunate ????.

My gf at the time came outside saying she needed to get new photos because hers had the wrong background colour.  I told her to go get back in the queue - there was nothing wrong with her photos - she did and her application was accepted.

I used to get my multi-entry marriage visa in Melbourne each year when I was there on business. A piece of cake until the Aussie consular - a dentist by profession - retired. Then a Thai replaced him and getting the visa became a challenge.

First, he demanded a letter from my wife confirming we were married, to be faxed to the consulate. He gave me the phone number, but it was in Sydney, not Melbourne. I made the mistake of pointing out his error, and also the obvious fact that the letter could be written by anybody (the usual ability for Thais to only think of stage one and not beyond, hence the endless U-turns we see with government ministers and officials). A cardinal sin had been committed as I'd made him lose face, so he threatened to not process my application and to send me to Canberra to apply.

Then, another year, my photos 'weren't correct'. No reason given. By a wonderful and lucky coincidence, just across the road was a Thai-run pharmacy where I could get my photos re-done. I went there, and there was a long queue of others doing the same. I decided after that that Savannakhet was a better option.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now for passport and Immigration No Glasses It's been like that for a Few years .

If the photos are required for comparison with a passport then it is logical that the passport photo rules are adhered to:-

How to get a digital photo

You can get a digital photo either:

• from a photo booth or shop before applying for your passport
  • by taking one using your own device during your passport application

Photos from a booth or shop are more likely to be approved than a photo taken using your own device.

Get a photo with a code from a photo booth or shop

Before starting your application, get a digital passport photo from a photo booth or shop. Choose the option to get a code with your photos.

You’ll be asked to enter the photo code during your passport application and your digital photo will be added to your application.

Take a photo using your own device

You’ll need someone to help you take a photo during your application.

Rules for digital photos

The quality of your digital photo

Your photo must be:

• clear and in focus
  • in colour
  • unaltered by computer software
  • at least 600 pixels wide and 750 pixels tall
  • at least 50KB and no more than 10MB

What your digital photo must show

The digital photo must:

• contain no other objects or people
  • be taken against a plain light-coloured background
  • be in clear contrast to the background
  • not have ‘red eye’

If you’re using a photo taken on your own device, include your head, shoulders and upper body. Do not crop your photo - it will be done for you.

In your photo you must:

• be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera
  • have a plain expression and your mouth closed
  • have your eyes open and visible
  • not have hair in front of your eyes
  • not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
  • not have anything covering your face
  • not have any shadows on your face or behind you

Do not wear glasses in your photo unless you have to do so. If you must wear glasses, they cannot be sunglasses or tinted glasses, and you must make sure your eyes are not covered by the frames or any glare, reflection or shadow.

29 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The passport picture rules are from my home country.

The immigration picture rules are from Thailand.

Your words:-

"They compared it to my passport"

In your case Immigration picture rules = UKPA photo rules.

Interesting discussion: I was told that the photo is an aid to help them identify you, which is why they don't want people to smile. They want a 'dead' face, which I would expound to include into the glasses question. You're probably not going to have glasses on when that motorcycle knocks you into the next world. That's how I 'look' at it.

Added after post: "aid to help identify you" should you die (in your sleep, at the opera, on the back of a motorcycle taxi or at a crosswalk). Be safe "OneMoreFarang", I'd miss you. ????????

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 3:06 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Nothing to do with glasses, but in a similar way I was refused access to my own bank accounts.

I suffered a stroke in 1995, with Right Hemaplegy (paralysis of the right side).

As I was right-handed and losed the ability to sign, I received an ID-Card with the mark "Free from  signature".
When I came to Thailand, I signed for my passport and all the subsequent forms (immigration, bank account, etc.).
But when I got my last passport, 2 years ago, it was marked again "Free from Signature".

When I went to the bank a few weeks later, they refused to give me access to my own bank account as the requirements if the bank were that the signature on the formular must be equal to the signature of the passport.

I had to ask for a new passport again  WITHOUT the mark "Free from Signature" in order to get anything done in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1