2023 Trip Report for Retirement Extension via Thai Bank Deposit at BKK CW

Thanks very much for the report and report of paper order and links to extra forms (front desk did not provide all of them with TM7 when I did in June).

As I have reported since early 2019 Chiang Wattana has required TM30 receipt from me and when I did not provide copy in 2020 they pulled from passport and did so.  Along with TM47 receipt.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks very much for the report and report of paper order

I'd always ordered my paperwork somewhat differently in the past, putting my passport photocopies right after my TM7, and then the rest thereafter...just because that seemed to make sense.

But for whatever reason, the Doc checks officer put the 4 misc rules/statements form right after my TM7, and the IO handling my paperwork seemed to like it that way....

Obviously, the order of things doesn't really matter a whole lot in the bigger scheme of things, as long as you have what they want... But if I can do simple things that keep them happy/happier.... so be it!  ????

I'll try it that way again next year, and see what ensues... Who knows, different day, different IO... What could possibly go wrong! ????

Part of the reason I write these detailed recaps every year is to help me keep a guide of what I've done and what they've done on all the details, so I have a guide/roadmap to follow for next year....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

No, it was in response to your point that while one IO at CW may say not needed, you may have a situation with another IO not sharing this view.

Instead of keeping the old TM6 tab, I now keep the latest boarding pass of the flight I came back to Thailand.  That will match the latest entry stamp in my passport.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Did you have some personal experience on that point regarding keeping one's old TM6?

In my last visit to Immigration (Samut Prakan), the retirement extension IO didn't ask for TM6 (as I had omitted to include it in my stack of documents)- however the 90 day report guy did, and when I pretended to fumble in my briefcase in search for it, he finally waved it off and made sound to the effect that oh, he had found the pertinent info already in the system. Of note is that the 90 day report IO sometimes also plays the part as the door security guard (- or the other way round? it's a small office) so maybe his training was not up to date, thus still asking for the TM6.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Instead of keeping the old TM6 tab, I now keep the latest boarding pass of the flight I came back to Thailand.  That will match the latest entry stamp in my passport.

I had seen someone suggest that elsewhere here on the forum regarding the boarding pass, so I brought my most recent one along with me to BKK CW yesterday just in case in my backup documents file along with a variety of others....

Wasn't asked for the TM6. And wasn't asked for anything as a TM6 replacement item....  We shall see.....

33 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I think I read somewhere that they won't let you in the Que without a hard copy TM30 now.

I got my queue ticket for the L section yesterday from the main front counter inside, and that officer only took a quick cursory look at my paperwork,  which obviously didn't include my TM30 at that point.... But again, best to be prepared just in case.

43 minutes ago, watthong said:

In my last visit to Immigration (Samut Prakan), the retirement extension IO didn't ask for TM6 (as I had omitted to include it in my stack of documents)- however the 90 day report guy did,

I can confirm that the ONLINE 90 day reporting system no longer requires you to input a TM6 number.

But I haven't done an in-person 90-day report at BKK CW in some months, so I can't speak to whether the TM6 is still required there.

My last in-person there was at the beginning of this year, and I believe I did include a copy of my TM6 as part of that application, because at that point it still reflected my last prior air arrival into the country (even though it was back from 2019).

When I went to BKK CW for my extension yesterday, I'd already had an international air arrival into Thailand in the meantime earlier this year and wasn't issued any TM6 for that arrival. So even though I had my old TM6 yesterday, it no longer reflected my most recent arrival into Thailand.

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I got my queue ticket for the L section yesterday from the main front counter inside, and that officer only took a quick cursory look at my paperwork,  which obviously didn't include my TM30 at that point.... But again, best to be prepared just in case.

Sorry I ws replying to a Samuut Prakaan related ost - should have delineated.

I went through the doc check desk at CW with no TM30 in my pack and it wasn't asked for, another IO came up to me as I was waiting and asked to check my docs (I said already done that) and she told me I needed a TM30. The IO for extension cross referenced hard copy with what was in their records.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Apart from the TM6, what did you do or not do about including copies of your most recent 90-day reporting receipt and / or a copy of your TM30 (if you have one)?

Included or didn't include in your packet? Asked for or not asked for by the officer?

Yes, I included a copy of my 90 day receipt as well as the TM30. Both, like the TM6, were accepted without comment. As I said above, my immigration officer didn't say a word.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

By the way, don't throw out your TM6, as CW has suggested. Last month, getting my LTR visa at BoI OSS, the Imm at that location not only wanted a copy of my TM6, but the original.

My TM6 is from 2016. It was practically disintegrating. Now I keep it in a plastic slip except for those days I go to immigration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

As I said above, my immigration officer didn't say a word.

Funny thing... Every time I make my annual pilgrimage to BKK CW, I always try to drag my Thai wife along with me... And she always asks, "Why do I need to go.... I don't do anything there..."

And yesterday was a good example... When we walked in to meet the IO handling my extension, I sat down and said "Good Morning" to her in English signaling that that was my main language....

And then, from that point forward, the IO nonetheless talked entirely in Thai with my wife, and when the IO asked something in Thai, I had my Thai wife translate it for me... And meanwhile, the two of them ended up having a grand chat and laughing together in Thai....  all of which, was fine by me..... ????

Whatever makes them happy and smooths the path to success.

Also, with the IO wearing a face mask and sitting behind the plexiglas-COVID screen, I could barely hear/understand most anything she was saying...in any language.... But somehow, my wife could. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Funny thing... Every time I make my annual pilgrimage to BKK CW, I always try to drag my Thai wife along with me... And she always asks, "Why do I need to go.... I don't do anything there..."

And yesterday was a good example... When we walked in to meet the IO handling my extension, I sat down and said "Good Morning" to her in English signaling that that was my main language....

And then, from that point forward, the IO nonetheless talked entirely in Thai with my wife, and when the IO asked something in Thai, I had my Thai wife translate it for me... And meanwhile, the two of them ended up having a grand chat and laughing together in Thai....  all of which, was fine by me..... ????

Whatever makes them happy and smooths the path to success.

Also, with the IO wearing a face mask and sitting behind the plexiglas-COVID screen, I could barely hear/understand most anything she was saying...in any language.... But somehow, my wife could. ????

My wife goes along as well. Her summation after this trip: they certainly are unfriendly. As I said, I prefer the all business approach. I raced through things faster than ever this time. Where having my wife along did come in handy, btw, was when I went downstairs to Bangkok Bank's passbook update machine. Somebody from the bank along with three technicians had closed them down. My wife got the man in charge to open things up long enough for the update. Saved me having to go in and wait who knows how long inside.

• Thanks 1

Ahh... on the point of bank passbooks... at least in my experience, Krungsri Bank (the yellow, Ayudhya one) continues to have problems with their bank book update machines not accepting some (all?) bank books.

After I got my Immigration letter at my local branch earlier this week, I tried updating my bankbook in their public machine, and FAIL.... Go inside, and the bank staff can update my book just fine on their private machines...

And exactly the same thing with the Krungsri update machines outside the branch in the basement of the BKK CW complex... Same this year, same as last year... Same with my prior bank book, same with my newest bank book....

And as a consequence, each year, I'm unable do my required bank book update on the day of my Immigration visit until AFTER the BKK CW Krungsri branch opens at 8:30 am, which happens to be the same time the BKK CW Immigration office begins allowing in people from their long queue.

It's an ongoing hassle with Krungsri.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for that caution re the TM6s, Jim. Very useful to know...  And I hadn't known before that the TM6 would be asked for as part of the LTR visa application process!

Yea, if you go for an LTR visa it's asked for in the LTR online application.   See below snapshot from the LTR application website as to when a TM6 would be required.    

image.png.28e8e91036a5a6a75a6a6cd4672fab66.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

See below snapshot from the LTR application website as to when a TM6 would be required.    

image.png.28e8e91036a5a6a75a6a6cd4672fab66.png

Pib, do you know if the quoted excerpt you posted above means the date of your ORIGINAL entry into Thailand, OR your most recent entry into Thailand?

For example, my most recent entry into Thailand was in May 2023, after their cited date. But, original entry into Thailand was long before their cited date.

So I'm somewhat different from you you and Jim, whom I believe, have both remained in Thailand continuously without leaving well back before the cited mid 2022 date.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pib, do you know if the quoted excerpt you posted above means the date of your ORIGINAL entry into Thailand, OR your most recent entry into Thailand?

For example, my most recent entry into Thailand was in May 2023, after their cited date. But, original entry into Thailand was long before their cited date.

So I'm somewhat different from you you and Jim, whom I believe, have both remained in Thailand continuously without leaving well back before the cited mid 2022 date.

Latest entry.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Latest entry.

HA! So that means I, with a most recent air arrival in May 2023, should be free and clear re the TM6 and the LTR application... at least... if that's the correct interpretation!  ????

Maybe I'll have a TM6 burning party.... (No, won't, just kidding!)  

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

HA! So that means I, with a most recent air arrival in May 2023, should be free and clear re the TM6 and the LTR application... at least... if that's the correct interpretation!  ????

Maybe I'll have a TM6 burning party.... (No, won't, just kidding!)  

Yea.  When a person exits Thailand whatever previous TM6 a person had is OBE'ed/killed off....no longer applicable.  The TM6 is like a booger immigration just can't seem to shake off their finger since it's still being used for land entries but not air entries.  Plus, some people haven't left Thailand for many years (like me) who still have their TM6 when it was required even for air entry.  So, since there is still a good possibility a person may have a TM6 immigration will frequently ask for it.   Kinda like "If you Got 'Em, then Smoke "Em."

30 minutes ago, champers said:

Did your 5 hour wait involve sitting outside or inside (with fan or aircon)?

Could you pop out for a meal or a tea or coffee to pass some time?

Regarding my 5-hour wait for a reentry permit at BKK CW yesterday, the waiting area is all indoors with nominal air conditioning.

As evidenced by the hours log wait, the queue was moving at glacial pace. So folks waiting could leave and go out to get a drink or snack at the various eateries in the Govt Complex, and come back later without too much fear that their queue number had been passed, at least when they're still far down in the queue.

Nonetheless, a 5 hour wait for a stupid thing like a reentry permit isn't going to rank high on my list of fun things to do...

BTW, has anyone ever asked... why can't the IO who considers and processes your extension also do the stamp for the reentry permit if one is requested, especially since they already have all the required info and paperwork?

Nah, that would make too much common sense and interfere with busy work assignments for Immigration officers.

I have got extensions from different imm offices in my 35 years in thailand. About the 800.ooo in bank,there never were a problem,until latest visit at Chayaphum imm. I got the statement from the bank about being an accountholder and the amount in it.Also the usual copies of every page of the bankbook,stamped by the bank.Can also mention,that I never touch this account;the money just stays there.This time,this was not enough.I was told to get "a one year statement from the bank".So I went to the bank and told them that.Back to Imm. No,not correct.I asked what was wrong,so I could tell the bank,but only get the answer: " Statement!!" Alright,I tried again with the bank,and they detailed every  move in the year past on one paper,which was easy,since there weren`t any,exept interest and tax.Somehow,this was not correct either.I tried another bank,where I also have enough funds,and finally imm accepted it.I do not know what the difference was,and I was too tired of it all to think of making a copy.Have anybody else some knowledge on this subject,and can offer some detailed info ?BTW,it is a "retirement visa".

2 minutes ago, Bosse137 said:

I have got extensions from different imm offices in my 35 years in thailand. About the 800.ooo in bank,there never were a problem,until latest visit at Chayaphum imm. I got the statement from the bank about being an accountholder and the amount in it.Also the usual copies of every page of the bankbook,stamped by the bank.Can also mention,that I never touch this account;the money just stays there.This time,this was not enough.I was told to get "a one year statement from the bank".So I went to the bank and told them that.Back to Imm. No,not correct.I asked what was wrong,so I could tell the bank,but only get the answer: " Statement!!" Alright,I tried again with the bank,and they detailed every  move in the year past on one paper,which was easy,since there weren`t any,exept interest and tax.Somehow,this was not correct either.I tried another bank,where I also have enough funds,and finally imm accepted it.I do not know what the difference was,and I was too tired of it all to think of making a copy.Have anybody else some knowledge on this subject,and can offer some detailed info ?BTW,it is a "retirement visa".

Could be a variety of things...

1. Sometimes, people run into individual IOs or IO offices at particular points in time that are just rogue A-xxxxxs.

2. Sometimes, if the IO has some problem with the way your bank book entries are listed (such as if it appears some entries are missing or have been combined into a recap entry), they'll demand a formal bank statement covering the past year.

I had the demand for the formal, annual bank statement happen to me last year when, during the prior 12 months, I had one bank book end upon being filled, and then a new one issued for the remaining part of the year. And Immigration didn't like the way the bank had handled the carry-over entries into the new bank book.

And probably some other possible explanations as well....

FWIW, lately, at least with Krungsri Bank and some other Thai banks, customers can request prior 12 month full bank statements for free on their own via either the banks' website or via their mobile apps, which are then sent to you via email.

7 minutes ago, Bosse137 said:

Have anybody else some knowledge on this subject,and can offer some detailed info ?BTW,it is a "retirement visa".

Yes I had same issue last November at CW for annual extension based on retirement using funds in the bank.

In the past photocopies of bank book pages along with bank book had been accepted for many years.

Immigration issue was that I had various months with zero transactions. 

They wanted Bank Statements.

Asked to see supervisor.

Eventually approved with I had to promise to provide bank statements for next extension.

As for your other question.

"Retirement Visa" 

There is no such thing.

It's shorthand for non O based on retirement and subsequent extensions. OR

Could also be a Non O-A...OR

Also could be a multiple entry Non O (retirement) .

• Sad 1

I'm a bit baffled that you waited for 5 hours for the re-entry permit, aren't you aware that you can apply at the airport on your way out?

That being said, when Big Jok(e) gets around to make his suggestions, I'd wish they do away with re-entry permits altogether and make them an integral part of every long-term extension. It's such a waste of time, hassle and passport pages for no good reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, lately, at least with Krungsri Bank and some other Thai banks, customers can request prior 12 month full bank statements for free on their own via either the banks' website or via their mobile apps, which are then sent to you via email

Pretty sure they are not acceptable to immigration.

Requires bank statements with the bank stamp .

Kasikorn told me today that can be done on the day (unlike Bangkok bank) 

Cost 200baht