Thai passengers ejected from flight over luggage dispute, recounts top influencer

webfact

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And it is 'supposed' to be a maximum of 7 kg, ONE per passenger..

supposed to be, but how many times do you see passengers with more than 1, viz a carry on bag and a fully packed back pack. It amazes why airlines don't enforce their own rules with regards to carry on luggage.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is the passengers responsibility to deal with the bag they choose to bring on board, not the flight attendants. And these days, disruptive passengers can expect no less than to be booted from a flight. In the US, they would likely be facing serious charges. 

Goons. What else can one say? Who are their mothers and fathers and why didn't they do a better job at parenting? You let a kid run wild like an animal, and they grow up to be rude and disrespectful. 

Read the other link... 

The passenger was small and struggled to get her 7kg hand-carry in the overhead locker.

She asked the flight attendant to help, the flight attendants response was apparently rude, this lead to an argument. 

Who was in the wrong ?

- Perhaps the passenger for asking the F.A. for help...

- The F.A. for not acting / responding in a professional manner.

- The family for getting triggered and reacting. 

- The F.A. for not being professional and failing to use their training and diffuse the situation. 

I don't think either party in this situation was a shining beacon of polite and considerate humanity. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can you imagine the danger and the scene if this lot were to try and (illegally but these types would try anyway) to retrieve their cabin baggage during a crash landing?

Well done for dumping them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It depends on the check in staff when there is a limit on carry on baggage, they don’t like confrontation so just ignore the oversize or number of bags.

Another whinge when flying, it states clearly on your boarding pass a zone for what order to board in unless you are infirm or travelling with children.

Its amazing how many passengers apparently ignore the zonal boarding only to be stopped, they forget there is a seat for everyone. I some times just wait to everyone has nearly boarded to avoid passengers who crowd round the gate waiting to board blocking the way for others.

Well you obviously don’t do carry on , so why speak 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, sambum said:

Is "influencer the latest "buzz word"?

I'd never heard it before a few weeks ago and now it's cropping up all over the place!!!

Are politicians "influencers" as well as RTP, Immigration Officers, etc etc etc, or is it restricted to the general public? 

An influencer is generally a tw@tt that expects free goods and services, or to be paid to use them, as they have a large following on social media and they would influence their followers to use the same goods or services.

They basically want free entry and free drinks and restaurant food, free high end clothes etc etc because lots of people that like them will follow suit. They also make a lot of money from the large number of views their videos etc get.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And typical passengers expecting to be able to take whatever they want on board, AND want the FAs to help.

From this link... 

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-passengers-ejected-from-flight-over-luggage-dispute-with-cabin-crew-recounts-top-influencer

Her suitcase weighed 7 kilogrammes, and the woman, who only weighed 43 kilogrammes, struggled to lift it.

IF the flight attendant couldn't help, she could have explained why...  i.e. "we're not permitted to assist for insurance purposes" etc...   the passenger has reported that the response of the flight attendant was rude.

• Like 1

I agree, I see people on flights attempt to take carry on baggage over the weight limit and size, don’t they ever read the what baggage allowances are or just pushing their luck.

Try doing it on an EasyJet ot Ryanair flight, Servisair / Emirates at Newcastle weigh your carry on baggage and on many occasions I have witnessed people being told it’s too heavy/large and they then are frantically trying to put it in their hold baggage.

I always get concerned when passengers are putting heavy bags in the overhead lockers, if they accidentally slip from their grasp they could do a passenger a serious injury.

When B.A. used to fly from Heathrow their carry on baggage limit was 25kg but the size of the bag limited, try lifting 25 kg into an overhead locker.

When I used to travel a lot for work, I had to take with me a considerable amount of computer hardware, including a total of over 18TB worth of portable hard disk drives. We're told not to pack these valuable electronics in our checked luggage, which I have always found a bit odd - who is going to be able to access them other than airport workers? But I suppose experience has demonstrated that that's exactly who will access them and take whatever valuable is inside, given their ability to x-ray and observe whatever goodies might be hidden.

Therefore I end up with two carry-ons, one with my laptop and half of the drives, the other half with my backpack and papers. Nobody has ever tried to stop me or charge me because of this, even Air Asia. Both are likely over 7kg, but what else am I to do?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

An influencer is generally a tw@tt that expects free goods and services, or to be paid to use them, as they have a large following on social media and they would influence their followers to use the same goods or services.

They basically want free entry and free drinks and restaurant food, free high end clothes etc etc because lots of people that like them will follow suit. They also make a lot of money from the large number of views their videos etc get.

Have you ever met one of these influencers ?... Or are you jumping to this conclusion based on the reported poor behavior of a few ??

My Wife, not an influencer, but is contacted by business people who've seen her Instagram and wants to send her free things.. (even free holidays etc)...  She has a lot of instagram followers...  she doesn't pursue anything etc..  

If people in marketing teams think she can help their cause thats up them, wife doesn't say no to free stuff and the owners of the businesses (often smaller businesses) are happy with the additional exposure. 

Now, if people are calling up and demanding free stuff, thats somewhat different.... but, I really think the issue people have with influencers is perhaps more the word itself... "no one can influence me, how dare they suggest they can by using the word influencer"...  when really, we could all be a target of 'influencers'... we see a post of someone on holiday or in a certain restaurant etc... and think, "looks nice, I may give that a try" !!!.... 

It's just marketing... perhaps not marketing boomers like, nevertheless, marketing it is - I don't know why so many people get their pantaloons in a twist about it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dddave said:

I have a friend who was a longtime FA on a US airline.  She told me that the FAs flight pay does not begin until the doors are closed and that they are specifically told not to assist passengers lifting bags into overhead bins because if they were injured doing so, they were not covered. 

That’s not exactly true.

FA pay, for most US carriers IS tied to “block time” which is commonly defined as the time between the moment the brakes are released at the gate and again, when they are set at the gate upon arrival. 

So, it IS true that most carriers do NOT start an FA’s “pay” until the brakes are released (ie block time starts) … but… that doesn’t mean that any actions taken by them prior to that moment in time are purely “personal” in nature and not covered by carriers insurance/workman’s comp etc… for example, while an FAs pay may not start until brakes are released, they still have to be in full uniform during boarding, present at all required pre-flight briefings etc.. They can’t say “i’m not on-the-clock yet” and skip them.

So.. an injury suffered on the aircraft- during boarding - would usually be handled by the carrier, as a workplace injury, despite the block-time having not yet commenced.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JCauto said:

When I used to travel a lot for work, I had to take with me a considerable amount of computer hardware, including a total of over 18TB worth of portable hard disk drives. We're told not to pack these valuable electronics in our checked luggage, which I have always found a bit odd - who is going to be able to access them other than airport workers? But I suppose experience has demonstrated that that's exactly who will access them and take whatever valuable is inside, given their ability to x-ray and observe whatever goodies might be hidden.

Therefore I end up with two carry-ons, one with my laptop and half of the drives, the other half with my backpack and papers. Nobody has ever tried to stop me or charge me because of this, even Air Asia. Both are likely over 7kg, but what else am I to do?

Same me.

20 years of working in oil & Gas, travelling every 5 weeks or so to some country

numerous internal flights and chopper rides.

Never had any real issues with cabin staff.

Just obey the 4 rules, and you can drink as much as you like on most flights.

1) Sit down.

2) shut up.

3) Seat belt.

4) Smile, no matter how drunk you are.

Jobs a good'un.

( Watch out for any Karen's onboard ) :giggle:

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It depends on the check in staff when there is a limit on carry on baggage, they don’t like confrontation so just ignore the oversize or number of bags.

Another whinge when flying, it states clearly on your boarding pass a zone for what order to board in unless you are infirm or travelling with children.

Its amazing how many passengers apparently ignore the zonal boarding only to be stopped, they forget there is a seat for everyone. I some times just wait to everyone has nearly boarded to avoid passengers who crowd round the gate waiting to board blocking the way for others.

Yes, I had a passenger practically having an hysterical fit because I asked nicely if I could pass. After a minute , I told her I was in business, and that the plane wouldn’t leave without her! This nowadays is a push and shove society , lack of politeness, something honestly,  didn’t exist in the past. 

• Like 1

All about self-importance: "others are there to serve me".

Carry-on luggage is usually specifically limited to ~ 7kgs, yet how often do you see people struggling to get 20-25kgs bags into the overhead locker ?

If these people were abusive to staff and caused flight delay inconveniencing others then they will presumably be black-listed by the airline.

A per-kilo excess luggage charge should also be collected. Maybe this way they will learn some manners.

23 minutes ago, Clydesdale said:

All about self-importance: "others are there to serve me".

Carry-on luggage is usually specifically limited to ~ 7kgs, yet how often do you see people struggling to get 20-25kgs bags into the overhead locker ?

If these people were abusive to staff and caused flight delay inconveniencing others then they will presumably be black-listed by the airline.

A per-kilo excess luggage charge should also be collected. Maybe this way they will learn some manners.

The woman in question weight 43kgs, so we can assume she was also quite short. 

Her carry on baggage was 7kgs - she asked for help. 

Is there some form of 'self importance' involved with asking someone for help ????

Your hyperbolae may be true of some examples, but this is not the case as per reports here. 

The passenger asked for help and her party became upset when the response of the flight attendant was deemed rude. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Personal circumstances have sent me on over 20 flights this last 6 months, most of them between Thailand, Singapore and China.   I can't think of a single time that someone else's excess cabin baggage has had a deleterious effect on the quality of my life. 

And when I do find myself irritated by that lady with 6 bags, that knot is in my stomach, not hers.

I've actually been over the weight limit myself now that all battery operated equipment is banned from checked bags.  Between a higher end (heavy) laptop, a tablet, a power brick, bluetooth speaker, etc, I'm close to the weight limit even with a backpack that weighs less than a pound.

And as a frequent flight, I'm quite sure you'll help anyone around you who is not tall enough to place their baggage in the overhead bin.

Flight attendants also help children, the elderly, pregnant and disabled passengers with their hand-carry baggage...

But in this case the flight attendant refused to help a shorter person...

... Why?

... and why the F.A. refuse in a manner the passenger deemed was rude ???

Could it be that it was the flight attendant who had a poor attitude ???

• Like 1

The rule about not helping to lift luggage can in many years ago because cabin crew were injuring themselves. My daughter's been an air hostess for quite a few years. 

If a cabin crew member gets injured, the insurance company won't pay for their expenses. The person will not get paid sick leave either.

Worse still, the plane will be short of a member of crew, so the flight won't take off. What about a standby crew? There probably won't be one because the standby crew will have finished their waiting time to see if they will be needed. Yes, they do turn off their mobile phones when the period of waiting has finished. So, all of the passengers might have to wait until the following day before they can travel.

Maybe the complaining woman is used to servants, but cabin crew are there to save you and help you in medical emergencies and crash landings. That's their main job. Their training goes far beyond how to serve tea. I hope that she will apologize to the cabin crew members in question.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could it be that it was the flight attendant who had a poor attitude ???

Don't know.  Wasn't there. 

And the videos (if there are any) never start until after SHTF.  So we rarely know what really caused the kerfuffle.

Edit:  And to answer your question, I've helped many shorter people stow and retrieve their overhead bags.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And it is 'supposed' to be a maximum of 7 kg, ONE per passenger..

That is the weight for free. Last flight from CNX to Bangkok, I paid the extra amount in case My packed carry-on exceeded to free allowance. Having flown since 1965 to multiple countries on multiple airlines, I was surprised on this most recent flight not to have the young male FA in the aisle not offer to assist as I lifted the bag to place in the overhead compartment. Ha! Guess I really am getting younger looking than my 76 years.

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My thoughts too. If you can't lift it up, it is too heavy.. Aged passengers and pregnant women excluded. I used to hate traveling in the USA with all the road warriors there!

Thanks for cutting some slack for my 76 years. Just do not have the strength I once had. Some here seem to think I should just stay home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1