Dear members

for the past few months on the various platforms i have read about people being asked “verification documents” by WISE

i have ever only used WISE to transfer from my country bank to my thai bank. small amounts, on average 12.000 baht pm.

recently on my WISE profile, at the top, a red banner appeared requiring me to verify.

I followed the steps, requiring to provide selfies holding ID card. WISE rejected all my selfies attempts. Then i tried “help centre-verification” and i uploaded 2 perfectly clear selfies. I also emailed them attaching the selfies. I called the call centre in USA and the human operator confirmed that from their side i had complied with their requests.

HOWEVER, my profile still shows the red banner (implying WISE will soon block the account), and i still receive “automated emails” instructing me to provide the selfies on their live link, residency certificate, proof of funds provenience.

stressing that this is not a rant and i have only used WISE for the past 3 years to transfer small amounts, i am asking:

-what are the other methods to transfer living expenses money

-what are your current experiences with WISE “verification”

thank all contributors

From the Wise advertising Blurb (UK)

"Our dream is for people to live and work anywhere seamlessly. That means money without borders: moving it instantly, transparently, conveniently, and — eventually — for free"

Looks like the dream might be becoming a nightmare

• Like 1

Issues with Wise seem to vary from 1 country to another, mostly I suspect because each country has a different set of security requirements.

I use Wise to transfer from Australia to Thailand. Since we fixed the 'reason for transfer' issue in relation to Thailand several years ago, I've never had a problem.

Occasionally they take an extra 24 hours for the transfer to arrive, presumably because of security checking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

Occasionally they take an extra 24 hours for the transfer to arrive, presumably because of security checking.

Correct. If 'Long term Stay' is ticked it will be next day at 2pm because a human being is involved.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, giogio said:

Dear members

for the past few months on the various platforms i have read about people being asked “verification documents” by WISE

i have ever only used WISE to transfer from my country bank to my thai bank. small amounts, on average 12.000 baht pm.

recently on my WISE profile, at the top, a red banner appeared requiring me to verify.

I followed the steps, requiring to provide selfies holding ID card. WISE rejected all my selfies attempts. Then i tried “help centre-verification” and i uploaded 2 perfectly clear selfies. I also emailed them attaching the selfies. I called the call centre in USA and the human operator confirmed that from their side i had complied with their requests.

HOWEVER, my profile still shows the red banner (implying WISE will soon block the account), and i still receive “automated emails” instructing me to provide the selfies on their live link, residency certificate, proof of funds provenience.

stressing that this is not a rant and i have only used WISE for the past 3 years to transfer small amounts, i am asking:

-what are the other methods to transfer living expenses money

-what are your current experiences with WISE “verification”

thank all contributors

You are American?

If so likely a US Thing.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

Issues with Wise seem to vary from 1 country to another, mostly I suspect because each country has a different set of security requirements.

I use Wise to transfer from Australia to Thailand. Since we fixed the 'reason for transfer' issue in relation to Thailand several years ago, I've never had a problem.

Likely a SAR being filed.

8 hours ago, giogio said:

the thread is about WISE verification issues and alternatives to WISE as currency changer and transfer

When I have had rejected selfies, I found increasing the lighting overcame this problem and reduced shadows by snapping outdoors.

Edited by norbra
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the first step would be to contact Wise and enquire if this message is genuine. I must've used Wise over 30 times and I've never had a problem. Their exchange rates and prompt transfers is why I've recommended Wise to all my expat friends. Years ago we were ripped off by all banks with ridiculous exchange rates and fees, with a very slow transfer time.

15 hours ago, Tom H said:

Never had any problems with Wise. Just dont park too much money by them because its not a bank and not so much „secured“.

Just transfer:).

Not being a bank is a bonus.

Banks lend your money to other people, so repayment is a risk.

EMI's have to keep customers money in a separate holding account.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I pay by debit card.

Comes through in less than 10 seconds; every time.

Who do you pay 'by Debit Card'..WISE? Because once the money is in your say GBP Wise account, or your THB account, the transfer is another process.

13 hours ago, Sigmund said:

I'd rather pay the fee and go through the regular Swift bank transfer that is void of new hassles popping up evey now and then.

I have had no 'new hassles' in the 4 years I have been transferring via Wise to Bkk Bank. Only ONCE did it go immediately to Kasikorn Bank because of a bank holiday. All the other times within 24 hours, arriving 2pm, as an International Transfer.

54 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Who do you pay 'by Debit Card'..WISE? Because once the money is in your say GBP Wise account, or your THB account, the transfer is another process.

Transfer the required amount to WISE by debit card that is linked to my English bank account.

One of WISE options on their payment page.

Edited by owl sees all

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Had to do the selfie and passport photos when I opened my account years back.

Nothing required since then, usually transfer 50kbht/month.

i am pretty sure i did some form of verification when i opened it 2 years ago, and obviously i only use it to transfer

i will wait until midweek if the red banner disappears.

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Transfer the required amount to WISE by debit card that is linked to my English bank account.

I also use Debit card for wise---but they have a restriction on the amount you can send from Oz it's $A18K at any one time.

Silly part of it is that you can do numerous transfers of the $A18K in the same day., is your  UK card  the same.

I have never managed to get it in 10 seconds -- usually next day.

47 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

One of WISE options on their payment page.

Yes, and the other is Bank Transfer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, giogio said:

the thread is about WISE verification issues and alternatives to WISE as currency changer and transfer

If you really need an alternative, I have used  OFX  - https://www.ofx.com - for the last 14 years. Originally I knew them as UK Forex, but I am sure they operate in the USA as well. I just transfer funds when I need to top up my Thai accounts or when the exchange rate looks relatively favourable, and they quote for Thai Baht on the spot for whatever amount of GBP I am exchanging. The rate may be slightly less favourable than Wise, but there is no transfer fee. After I've paid them from my UK account the funds show up in my Thai account in 24 hours, unless I deal on a Friday, when it might be Tuesday before the money arrives. They use a correspondent bank in Thailand (which I think is SCB), so if showing income in your Thai account as an international transfer is important, this would be a problem for you; it doesn't bother me. SCB syphon off about 200 or 300 baht before the funds reach me.

As far as verification of identity is concerned, it was quite easy at the beginning because I was still registered as a voter at the address I had left in the UK. I had to re-confirm with them a few years back, which involved a phone call and a couple of emails, otherwise everything is very straightforward.

It works fine for me, but if I had to prove monthly income international transfers I would probably use WISE.

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

I also use Debit card for wise---but they have a restriction on the amount you can send from Oz it's $A18K at any one time.

Silly part of it is that you can do numerous transfers of the $A18K in the same day., is your  UK card  the same.

I have never managed to get it in 10 seconds -- usually next day.

TBH oxo, I don't know about restrictions. The most I have ever transferred is 6k squids. And that was a result. Sent the dosh at 55.5 and the next day it was 49 something.

What I do, is keep checking the rate, and when I think it has hit peak on that cycle, I send the dosh over. Don't send it on a fixed day, or anything like that. Sometimes 200 squids. Other times 1000. Just depends on the x-rate.

I was a very early user of WISE (then transfer wise), They would send me free dosh, and ask me for a screenshot when it arrived in my bank. It would take 24 hours or so.; even longer at W/Es. That was when they first started up. Now-a-days, it is just a couple of seconds.

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

TBH oxo, I don't know about restrictions. The most I have ever transferred is 6k squids. And that was a result. Sent the dosh at 55.5 and the next day it was 49 something.

What I do, is keep checking the rate, and when I think it has hit peak on that cycle, I send the dosh over. Don't send it on a fixed day, or anything like that. Sometimes 200 squids. Other times 1000. Just depends on the x-rate.

I was a very early user of WISE (then transfer wise), They would send me free dosh, and ask me for a screenshot when it arrived in my bank. It would take 24 hours or so.; even longer at W/Es. That was when they first started up. Now-a-days, it is just a couple of seconds.

If you do not want/need THB to be in the bank here, you could convert your GBP into THB and keep in your WISE THB account and send as/when needed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I always tick 'Funds for long term stay' and the funds are on my Thai Kasikorn bank-account in seconds, when doing it during Thai banking-hours.

Agreed. I had to laugh at the post you originally quoted

It makes not one iota of difference what the reason you put for transfer it is entirely down to audit control in the event of any future investigation for money laundering etc etc

You can tell these people till they are blue in the face but they wont listen

Edited by Chivas
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have had no 'new hassles' in the 4 years I have been transferring via Wise to Bkk Bank. Only ONCE did it go immediately to Kasikorn Bank because of a bank holiday. All the other times within 24 hours, arriving 2pm, as an International Transfer.

So just because you did not, everybody else is supposed to abide ?

• Confused 2